Alarm sounded over girls’ drinking

webfact

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

I agree drunk women are everywhere.  I was in a Go-Go bar last night and had to be very firm with one young lady who wanted a 2nd drink. Very firm indeed.

A hard job I bet, you have my respect for seeing it through to the inevitable climax

All kids experiment with booze & get drunk at times.. however the culture of drinking here is not to be sociable but to get shit-faced!

Go to any bar/club stand at a table, a full bottle of whiskey is placed in front of you, a bucket of ice and a dozen bottles of soda!

Drink till you drop !!!!

I have met thousands of people who drink alcohol, during my lifetime. I would go as far as to say that NONE of the drinkers I have known have ever done, or experienced ANY of your above examples.I would also add that, 99.99% of the ones I have met are nice, friendly, sociable people, a[l of whom do more good than bad.
Yes, there are a very small minority that can be a problem after consuming alcohol to excess, but just because you, personally, are against it, does not make it wrong to take part.
There is nothing worse than the 'holier than thou' anti drinking brigade.

I am a recovering alcoholic and haven’t drank in a very long time but I respect and enjoy people having a few drinks. However, I noticed over the years that most ladies I have been with seem to get very drunk very quickly even though they don’t have that many drinks. I honestly don’t know if this is a Thai metabolism issue but they seem to get “locked” as we say very fast .

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Savitree warned that alcohol affected women differently because their metabolism was slower than men’s, "

Wow she is the director of the Center for Alcohol Studies and she makes a stupid comment like this. 

She should really study more as it dont matter male or female everyone's metabolism is different.

You have rapid, ultra rapid, slow, etc all depends on your genes. I hope it's the reporting that is bad and

not that this lady is really saying this.

We can't relate the atrocities on women to drinking habits.. of course drinking is bad for health. Social drinking is almost as common as a common cold in all

parts of the world and cultures these days.. one should exercise their own conscience regarding alcohol smoking or any habit for that matter

Two factors at play here.

First, economically, Thai people are much better off then they were 20 plus years ago. This means that the younger Thai people have more money then those of their parents generations, and with more money comes more freedoms to participate in social activities.

Second, western influences. Hardly being noticeable and slowly sneaking in, western influences are permeating into Thai culture, especially among the younger people. Now with social media and the Internet, young Thai people are no longer as naive as the last generations and basically are wanting to establish an assimilated type of western lifestyles. Is it good for the country? I think not.

16 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

NOTHING WORSE?!?    Here are some worse things......

>>>  an average of 35 to 40 highway deaths PER DAY in Thailand, most involve drinking alcohol.

>>>  wife beatings

>>>   bar fights, in the bars and out on the sidewalks.  Occasional killings, like happened to the Brit who was knifed and killed in front of his son by a drunk Thai guy.   Or the Aussie woman who was knifed and killed by a Thai guy in southern Thailand because 'he wanted money to buy more beer.' 

>>>   liver transplants, sick-beds occupied in hospitals - which crowd out others who don't have alcohol-related sicknesses.

>>>   babies born with proportionately small heads and/or mentally deficient, due to alcohol drinking mothers.   In some Indian reservations in the US, they actually lock pregnant mothers up in jail cells, to keep them from drinking and damaging fetuses.

I think it's fair to say that not every foreigner who drinks gets into serious trouble in Thailand. However, it seems that when foreigners do get into serious trouble, then alcohol is usually involved in some way or other.

21 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

From a health perspective (and many other angles), drinking alcohol is stupid and dangerous.  I am a dad and have been step-father to over 20 kids.  None of them have drinking problems, most of them don't drink at all, as their dad doesn't.  So none of them have the problems that drinking brings:  physiological, mental, family schisms, driving carnage, forgetfulness, walking through glass doors, falling down stairs, vomiting on furniture, etc. ad nauseum.

WW, alcoholic drinks are the ONLY legal recreational drug.  There are several reasons, not least; the trillion dollar alcoholic drinks industry doesn't want any competition. Another reason; nearly all law-makers, incl. judges, are drinkers of fermented sugars.      

It´s just can´t be that bad, can it? I mean, I have been dringing all my life. No problem with anything you mentioned. I just guess it´s all about how you comsume it.

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Sexual harassment has nothing to do with women drinking and everything to do with the predatory behaviour of those low lifes who harass women. 

Absolute horseshit in this article, and what about this gem of a qoute: "...a 2012-2016 joint report finding that among 1,136 women subjected to domestic and sexual violence, about 29.3 per cent or 333 cases reportedly stemmed from alcohol consumption." 

Might a take guess that the 29.3% of violent cases stemmed from alcohol consumption by the attackers rather than the victims? :post-4641-1156693976:

6 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Absolute horseshit in this article, and what about this gem of a qoute: "...a 2012-2016 joint report finding that among 1,136 women subjected to domestic and sexual violence, about 29.3 per cent or 333 cases reportedly stemmed from alcohol consumption." 

Might a take guess that the 29.3% of violent cases stemmed from alcohol consumption by the attackers rather than the victims? :post-4641-1156693976:

I'd also guess the real, unreported, figures are much higher. 

10 hours ago, RowdyAlpha said:

The sad thing about the photo, plus girls walking around off their face is the guys probably peer pressuring them to drink 1 for 1 with the men, knowing what will happen and not looking after them.

In-fact it`s the exact opposite.

The peer pressures come from other girls who expect them to socially go where they go, mix with similar people that are in their scenes and party the way they do. If not, girls will not be socially compatible with their groups. This usually begins at the schools and Universities when both groups of boys and girls form themselves into cliques and then it progresses from there. 

I haven't had a drink in 30 years. But I still remember what it was like when I started drinking

I didn't have a drinking problem;

I drank

I got drunk

I fell down/passed out

no problem...

But after many years of drinking my body revolted, usually the contents of my stomach ended up on my pillow (when I had a pillow) when drinking with friends I was usually put in the bath tub when passed out. 

Often friends could not tell I was drunk, as I was always drunk. 

On 8/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, webfact said:

She said the number of female drinkers was on the rise and contributing factors were stress and promotion campaigns by alcoholic beverage firms. 

On 8/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, webfact said:

because their metabolism was slower than men’s, which could cause chronic illnesses such as breast cancer. 

I say BS to both of these statements. You don't approve of something claim it causes breast cancer. We all know excessive nipple twisting causes breast cancer! 555. As well as using condoms causes cervical cancer. 

I seriously doubt alcohol industry advertising causes drinking. Just like disgusting photos on cigarette packaging stops smoking. Now when a person decides to drink advertising may persuade someone what to drink. But these prudes will not convince me that any advertising forces anyone to do anything. 

I believe such conferences cause drinking and cancer. 

Just the opinions of an old fart who has been there and done that & got the t-shirt. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Umm a symptom of becoming Elderly