Pattaya cabbie knocks out foreign tourist who grabbed his shirt

webfact

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Absolutely spot on Smed's old boy .. Trying to cross 2nd road ( particularly at night ) is a treacherous experience .. even if the large vehicles slow or stop for you its  the mental motorcyclists who will take you out .. Subway's or footbridges ( as they have in provincial cities and Bangkok ) are the only really safe options .. 

THEY have built a stupid tunnel costing millions....waste of money which could have been used to create footbridges over second road....!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Why? The tourist acted like a <deleted> and got punched out. I think wherever in the world you are, act like a punk, you get beaten like a punk.

So you are OK with just the taxi driver's version then. No need to check with the victim now in hospital how HE thinks this went down

.... brilliant deduction TVgerry. Glad I don't know you!

1 minute ago, Bundooman said:

So you are OK with just the taxi driver's version then. No need to check with the victim now in hospital how HE thinks this went down

I'm glad for me too!

24 minutes ago, smacks41 said:

Horse crap!  Did you not read the story, the stupid obviously drunken farang grabbed the taxi driver and a fight broke out.  I'd say the cabbie was well within his rights to punch his lights out.  And where did you read that the passenger could have suffered any injuries?  They were undoubtedly sitting in the vehicle, and should make a good witness.  

watch the video. he is laid out on the ground. if he struck his head he could have been killed.

and thank you for your service to our country USAF.

Edited by NCC1701A

This is the farangs own fault.

Grabbing someones shirt is 'an assault'. Taxi driver responded and "a fight broke out".

Farang came off worse. Tough.

Had he been drinking? Was he drunk?

No mention of this.

And the taxi driver waited at the scene until the police came. He had nothing yo hide.

Stupid farang. And you all support him because he is a farang and was hit by a Thai.

Why do you assume the victim's version of events would be true?

Wonderful to see the complete lack of rudimentary first aid skills from the Thai police on scene. Did nobody think to check his airway, breathing and circulation and then place him in the recovery position whilst waiting for the Paramedics to arrive?

I am going with the taxi driver agressively bullying his way along the road story.

Because that it what they do.

Nobody gets upset with a driver that shows some consideration to other drivers or people crossing the road. A lot (I am not saying all, but a large number) do not have any consideration whatsoever.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

I expect he was knocked unconscious from hitting his head on the road, rather than from the taxi driver's punch.  Either way he might have sustained permanent brain injury, detached retinas and a host of other maladies.  

500 baht fine for the taxi driver, who was simply exercising his civil rights under the new constitution to bash farang tourists that displease him momentarily.     

20 hours ago, smedly said:

2nd road is extremely dangerous to cross because drivers are speeding, it is right in the heart of the tourist scene and just like beach road should have traffic calming measures to slow the speed down, nobody should be doing more than 20kmph, what's the hurry, I have seen many incidents caused by speeding cars, I suspect that is exactly what happened here, this Farang was crossing the road and nearly go run over by a taxi driver driving like a lunatic.

It could be argued why try to cross the road - well there is only one way and we all know about the pedestrian lights and how effective they are so if you want to get across there is no other option, they need effective traffic calming in all these high density tourist areas.

Maybe other towns could adopt an idea used in Indonesia and also parts of Bangkok.  

The crossing has a number of small red flags in a container, advising pedestrians to use one when wanting to use the zebra crossing.

A baseball bat might also help!

I expect he was knocked unconscious from hitting his head on the road, rather than from the taxi driver's punch.  Either way he might have sustained permanent brain injury, detached retinas and a host of other maladies.  

500 baht fine for the taxi driver, who was simply exercising his civil rights under the new constitution to bash farang tourists that displease him momentarily.     

So in your stereotypical opinion why did the cabbie not do a runner?

20 hours ago, smedly said:

2nd road is extremely dangerous to cross because drivers are speeding, it is right in the heart of the tourist scene and just like beach road should have traffic calming measures to slow the speed down, nobody should be doing more than 20kmph, what's the hurry, I have seen many incidents caused by speeding cars, I suspect that is exactly what happened here, this Farang was crossing the road and nearly go run over by a taxi driver driving like a lunatic.

It could be argued why try to cross the road - well there is only one way and we all know about the pedestrian lights and how effective they are so if you want to get across there is no other option, they need effective traffic calming in all these high density tourist areas.

Sigh... another Sherlock Holmes...   :stoner:

19 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Why? The tourist acted like a <deleted> and got punched out. I think wherever in the world you are, act like a punk, you get beaten like a punk.

Well if its true and he grabbed the cabbie thats assault ! the cabbie has the right to defend himself  " or if he so intoxicated and obstructed  road or could not cross because he's drunk and ! cabbie wanted to know the problem easy " he's drunk " passenger was a witness ? others near by must of seen the altercation , cctv or other , i doubt once knocked out he won't remember anything no point asking him . forget it move on .

Edited by Mad mick

Why? The tourist acted like a

Where I live, there is a crosswalk but cars won't stop or even slow down.

You donl't know, from the article, maybe the pedestrian /only/ wanted to cross the street/road.

So your taking the Taxi drivers word as true.

2 hours ago, smacks41 said:

Horse crap!  Did you not read the story, the stupid obviously drunken farang grabbed the taxi driver and a fight broke out.  I'd say the cabbie was well within his rights to punch his lights out.  And where did you read that the passenger could have suffered any injuries?  They were undoubtedly sitting in the vehicle, and should make a good witness.  

Yes, we read the STORY. The problem I have, is that it's only one version. Could be true, but there again it could be a load of b.s.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

Maybe other towns could adopt an idea used in Indonesia and also parts of Bangkok.  

The crossing has a number of small red flags in a container, advising pedestrians to use one when wanting to use the zebra crossing.

A baseball bat might also help!

A container of big red baseball bats would be tge best idea. 

Edited by The Deerhunter

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I was driving along beach road last Sunday evening when three westerners,2 girls and a man, walked across in front of me while looking straight at me. Possibly drunk. Tempted to floor it and clean them up justvfir their sheer arrogance but did not of course

oh so at one point you were tempted to kill them but then you decided to stop and let them cross your road, how

20 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Still bad P R for Thailand .. Social media and Youtube will ensure that .. Have a look how many Y T vid's are up on the state of the beach .. 

What a way to treat a  visitor ,  just imagine if this happened in the UK . 

The 'other' side of the story is missing... 

I've lost count of the times I'm trying to cross the road here and no one is giving way or even slowing slightly to let me cross. It become a game of chicken which angers me somewhat... 

It is entirely possible that the Foreigner was trying to cross the road and that the Taxi refused to allow this and instead of slowing passed dangerously close whereby the Foreigner kicked out or smaked the car... In response the incensed taxi driver got out and walloped the foreigner knocking him out... 

Of course, it is also entirely possible that the events reported by the Taxi driver are true and exact.

Until there are both sides of the story have been reported can we come up with a more realistic version of events, something more plausible. 

That said: With a Foreigner, likely to be drunk and a Taxi driver likely to be a typical taxi driver anything is possible....  but for sure, both have reacted to escalate a situation - it always takes two..  

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

So your taking the Taxi drivers word as true.

Until a witness comes forward and says otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Likewise, we have people on this thread putting the blame solely on the taxi driver when the facts aren't out yet. This is Thaivisa, there's seldom a middle ground.