PM pleased as Bangkok named world’s top city for weekend break

rooster59

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has lived in both #1Bangkok and #2Tokyo I can confirm that this list is utter horsesh*t. Tokyo and Bangkok are two entirely different cities that are so beyond comparison they might as well be on different planets.

1 hour ago, Bangyo1948 said:

This is from the  postoffice.co.uk 

IMG_Holiday_Costs_2017_Rest_of_World_inf

Too much weighting on the cost of a meal with wine, making the whole diagram meaningless.

Give a different person the job and you'll get a totally different answer.

Ha ha...just when you thought the lies couldn't get any bigger.......It's expensive now, most of the great bars and discos are closed, most western style pubs and bars are more expensive than in most western countries and the birds are now talking telephone numbers for services once given for a free bed......... No bonny lads, the once great city of Bangkok has been destroyed by a PONGO.......... Once the best night out in the world......... sadly gone......

39 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Ha ha...just when you thought the lies couldn't get any bigger.......It's expensive now, most of the great bars and discos are closed, most western style pubs and bars are more expensive than in most western countries and the birds are now talking telephone numbers for services once given for a free bed......... No bonny lads, the once great city of Bangkok has been destroyed by a PONGO.......... Once the best night out in the world......... sadly gone......

"now talking telephone numbers for services once given for a free bed."          bloody hell how old are you lol

. The beer bars and pubs are busy in lower suk are busy even in low season however lots of night clubs closed but only a small percentage of tourists hit them up anyway. I could care less ,have done enough clubbing in my youth to last 2 lifetimes..

Edited by InMyShadow

4 hours ago, wanderluster said:

i find it interesting to read all the negative things written by expats who gave up their great lives in other countries to come over here to thailand that is such a horrible place.  just what kind of person does that.

Most would be miserable in any place. When such a high proportion are struggling just to scratch out a living and certainly no money for honey..cheap fan room and the lot goes on alcohol,, resentment creeps in so they blame their surroundings..anything but themselves :sad:

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Researchers looked at the price of 11 travel essentials, including food and drink, sightseeing, airport transfers and three nights’ accommodation. They then combined all the costs to create a total “basket price”, in order to determine which long-haul city actually offered the best value for money.

Only Nonces would come to Thailand from Europe for a weekend 

For those not from Uk google Nonce Slang

So what does that say about the Europeans with extended stay permission. All long term Nonces?

4 hours ago, wanderluster said:

i find it interesting to read all the negative things written by expats who gave up their great lives in other countries to come over here to thailand that is such a horrible place.  just what kind of person does that.

The kind who is:-

a) the wannabe who has never been to Thailand and repeats ad nauseum the urban myths they read on the forum, and post possibly from their mothers basement;

B) the semi regular holiday visitor who now considers themselves expert in all things Thai (similar to a) above) and say chai while nodding their head wisely instead of saying yes while perched at the bar when 'in country';

c) the ex Thai visitor who is basically stupid and got badly burned by the girl they now call an uneducated peasant (but had more than enough brains to clean them out and send them packing) and now post from a bed sit in Scunthorpe;

d) and finally the saddest case of all...the visitor who is similar to example c) who thought they were the Great White Hope but really stuffed it up and cannot afford to leave and now sit in a fan room waiting for their next pension day, hoping that the baht doesn't strengthen and really stuff them up further.

Don't be disillusioned, you find these tossers anywhere (not restricted to Thailand or fora such as this one) , there are many, many thousands of happily settled long term visitors living the good life in Thailand.

Edited by tryasimight

30 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

So what does that say about the Europeans with extended stay permission. All long term Nonces?

Pick a fight with someone else mate not interest squabbling on the internet with someone without a sense of humour, life's to short

8 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Pick a fight with someone else mate not interest squabbling on the internet with someone without a sense of humour, life's to short

?????? fight...what you talking about, I am merely replying to your post. Nothing humorous about calling Europeans nonces old mate

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“There’s plenty to see and do in this vibrant city but if you’re only stopping for a long weekend then make sure to check out the awe-inspiring Grand Palace, a complex of breathtaking temples,” the report said.

And be sure to allow for a several-hour hold-up at the airport - both ways.

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I suppose it's rather easy to spend a whole weekend in Bangkok, though most of it in immigration lines at the airport on arrival and then again on departure.

The last 5 times I have come in or out it took not more then 5 minutes to get through at Suvarnabhumi.

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Agreed.

Used to be spectacular in the 90's and early 2000's. If you arrived after 2007/8 you missed the boat.

Try the 1970s for spectacular - before all you people ruined the lot.

The boat sailed decades ago.

:saai:

Cambodia has been pro-active in arresting and deporting pedos but they still seem to flock to Thailand. Some recent examples:

Aussie pedophile arrested in Thailand: http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/australian-man-arrested-in-thailand/news-story/159a64e9ec7485454b370d8ffa6a3165

Interpol wanted Czech pedophile arrested in Phuket: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Interpol-wanted-Czech-pedophile-arrested-Phuket

British pedophile was recently working in Thailand again after legal name change let him get teaching jobs: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/british-pedophile-was-recently-working-thailand-again-after-legal-name-change-let-him-get/

That's 3. Hardly a flock!

Absolutely correct. BKK is a fantastic destination. One of the best attractions is the street food...oh dear! One of the best attractions is the hordes of Chinese tourists...nup. Mmm. Bent coppers ...maybe not. Cheap? I don't think so. Feel free to add to the list.

They're doing they're best to ruin this country.

Still, nice to see the 'PM' giving a thumbs up to the Daily Mirror, a highly respected publication. :cheesy:

Edited by dinsdale

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

?????? fight...what you talking about, I am merely replying to your post. Nothing humorous about calling Europeans nonces old mate

The thread is about people who come to Thailand for the weekend. Where I come from in East London the term "Nonce" can be used in jest taking the piss out of mate with a younger bird could be like a 40 year with a 25 year old.It's just banter

Edited by Dave67

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

The kind who is:-

a) the wannabe who has never been to Thailand and repeats ad nauseum the urban myths they read on the forum, and post possibly from their mothers basement;

B) the semi regular holiday visitor who now considers themselves expert in all things Thai (similar to a) above) and say chai while nodding their head wisely instead of saying yes while perched at the bar when 'in country';

c) the ex Thai visitor who is basically stupid and got badly burned by the girl they now call an uneducated peasant (but had more than enough brains to clean them out and send them packing) and now post from a bed sit in Scunthorpe;

d) and finally the saddest case of all...the visitor who is similar to example c) who thought they were the Great White Hope but really stuffed it up and cannot afford to leave and now sit in a fan room waiting for their next pension day, hoping that the baht doesn't strengthen and really stuff them up further.

Don't be disillusioned, you find these tossers anywhere (not restricted to Thailand or fora such as this one) , there are many, many thousands of happily settled long term visitors living the good life in Thailand.

A very ill thought out post, most of the people categories you list are more likely to ignore issues consistently raised surrounding Thailand, they would according to your descriptions, not be in the Kingdom long enough to endure the adverse effects.

Long term residents while happily ensconced in their 'land of dreams' do however exercise their right to highlight their 'experience'  and 'knowledge' regarding inadequacies and short comings in their adopted country.

Perhaps you should think of posters along the lines of a football supporter, who will support the team through thick and thin, but.....if the goal keeper is crap and this affects the performance of the team the supporter may well exercise the right to mention this.

And actually your post is so full of overused clichés, I begin to wonder if it is a little 'Tongue in cheek'! given your phrase below

"the wannabe who has never been to Thailand and repeats ad nauseum the urban myths they read on the forum"

9 minutes ago, 473geo said:

A very ill thought out post, most of the people categories you list are more likely to ignore issues consistently raised surrounding Thailand, they would according to your descriptions, not be in the Kingdom long enough to endure the adverse effects.

Long term residents while happily ensconced in their 'land of dreams' do however exercise their right to highlight their 'experience'  and 'knowledge' regarding inadequacies and short comings in their adopted country.

Perhaps you should think of posters along the lines of a football supporter, who will support the team through thick and thin, but.....if the goal keeper is crap and this affects the performance of the team the supporter may well exercise the right to mention this.

And actually your post is so full of overused clichés, I begin to wonder if it is a little 'Tongue in cheek'! given your phrase below

"the wannabe who has never been to Thailand and repeats ad nauseum the urban myths they read on the forum"

I can assure it it was not tongue in cheek but the view I have come to after reading the many, many posts from people who obviously do not like Thailand or the Thai people. I am not one of them. I'm happily married to  lovely Thai lady.

Feel free to post your response to the original question.