Acquittal likely, says ex-judge

rooster59

Acquittal likely, says ex-judge

By THE SUNDAY NATION 

a130256744318436bd972266980e430a.jpeg

FORMER prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra is likely to be acquitted by the Supreme Court in the case concerning her government’s rice-pledging scheme, a former judge said yesterday.

The ex-judge, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Yingluck’s strong line of defence was that she had no “special intention” to cause damage to the state or irregularities to the project.

This defence, the source pointed out, would be similar to that of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and three other defendants in another case. The four defendants were all acquitted by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

According to the former judge, the point of consideration for the court is whether Yingluck had the intention to cause damage or cause irregularities to the rice-pledging scheme. “In Yingluck’s case, she had no special intention to cause damage to the state or allow irregularities to happen,” the source said.

The ex-judge said the court would consider whether Yingluck had done sufficiently in preventing corruption relating to the project, and whether it was necessary for her to end the project after getting written warnings from the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Auditor-General’s Office regarding the irregularities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30323638

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-12

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

irregularities to happen,”

Allowing , turning a blind eye, never had any intention or integrity to oversee the rice pledging scheme ,

An acquittal verdict would be a shot in the arm for corruption,

" why break the cycle in Los"

There is zero chance that she will be acquitted; the verdict was decided looooong ago.

The 'powers that be' need a guilty verdict to justify their actions over the last few years, and they will get it.

The law and what is 'legal' do not come into play.

"....strong line of defence was that she had no “special intention” to cause damage ...."

Well, I suppose Vorayuth (Ferrari), Jenphob (Benz), Praewa na Ayuttaya (Honda) all had no "special intention" to kill their victims. Twisted logic?

Whichever way Yingluck's verdict goes, tens of thousands will be pissed off.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

she had no “special intention” to cause damage to the state or irregularities to the project.

No special intention or not. she is ultimately the person responsible for her and

her government actions, otherwise, what's the point of having a PM and the head of the

government? the issue of culpability come to play here, culpable probably she's

not, responsible she is.....

I question whether this is a genuine informed comment of the actual likely outcome, or an attempt at making people think she will be acquitted, to keep the number of attendees turning up at the hearing lower? I for one thought a guilty verdict a foregone conclusion.

36 minutes ago, ezzra said:

No special intention or not. she is ultimately the person responsible for her and

her government actions, otherwise, what's the point of having a PM and the head of the

government? the issue of culpability come to play here, culpable probably she's

not, responsible she is.....

On that basis, every former PM or President in 'Western' countries would be in prison.

The Yellows' heads will literally explode. They'll be breaking out the hand-clappers and whistles from storage.

I assume there is still a way, another set of charges to be ginned up, to convict her of a minor crime (with no jail time) which would prevent her from running for political office for the next 100 years. (Or, that may well have already been done?)

The precedent of imprisoning a PM for faulty government program might be too much, save for a banana republic?

Good thing the junta gave themselves a blanket amnesty.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The Yellows' heads will literally explode. They'll be breaking out the hand-clappers and whistles from storage.

I assume there is still a way, another set of charges to be ginned up, to convict her of a minor crime (with no jail time) which would prevent her from running for political office for the next 100 years. (Or, that may well have already been done?)

The precedent of imprisoning a PM for faulty government program might be too much, save for a banana republic?

Concur. If bad policies by previous elected officials are a criminal offence there is likely not enough jail space in the worlds prisons to house all the offenders. Unless there was a law broken or corruption/embezzlement she should be found not guilty. Ineffective policies is not a crime in most of the developed world.  Then again, maybe it should be?

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

On that basis, every former PM or President in 'Western' countries would be in prison.

And if they have been criminally derelict in their duties and ignored strong warnings from well respected people / bodies they should be.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Wouldn't it be interesting if, after every former PM or President in Western countries had left power, there were to be a popular-vote on how long a prison-sentence they would then have to serve ? :whistling:

I can think of several whom I wouldn't mind seeing behind-bars ! And some who should be serving Life !

And it might discourage some of the more venal ones from attempting to gain power in the first place ? :cool:

Oh well, back to Reality  ...  :coffee1:

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Prayuth and his people were smart giving themselves immunity on day one.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

And if they have been criminally derelict in their duties and ignored strong warnings from well respected people / bodies they should be.

There have been strong warnings and evidence that the economic capacity of countries where coups take place goes down. We won't of course see the self-amnestied coup makers held to account for this.

11 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"....strong line of defence was that she had no “special intention” to cause damage ...."

Well, I suppose Vorayuth (Ferrari), Jenphob (Benz), Praewa na Ayuttaya (Honda) all had no "special intention" to kill their victims. Twisted logic?

Whichever way Yingluck's verdict goes, tens of thousands will be pissed off.

Not 100% right

Not Guilty Yes 10 of thousands will

Guilty it will be 10 of Millions

but that is life in los

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just out of curiosity could you tell me who decides which "respected people/bodies" it should be criminally derelict to ignore?

And would that be the same people/bodies that decide if a coup is "just" or not?

13 hours ago, rossd said:

Ratcatcher, there will be just as many people who will be thrilled at an aquital.

At least 60% Thailand and more pointedly the majority of the army conscripts who the Junta are currently relying on.

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I prefer that over bombing people.. killing kids, and setting fire to BKK. But its good to see that the reds do admit that most yellow protests are not as violent as the reds.

I will accept whatever verdict is given, I doubt she will do any jail-time. 

Even in a banarepublic the person in charge of a program would manage that program and turn up at meetings, listen at things the world bank has to say and would not keep things out of the central budget even when things were costing billions, plus the her own ministers were busy with fake G2G deals defrauding the state of billions. If that is what you call a faulty goverment program then you are a bit kind with your words. Criminal negligence is a closer thing. I wonder what would happen if the PM in your birth country kept an amount equal to the annual health budget off budget with huge corruption in it by its own ministers even being warned by everyone that it was going wrong and ignoring it all..

Guess we will never know what our home countries would do as something that outrageous would never happen there.