Traffic hell when terminal 21 opens ?

bert bloggs

Yep just get used to it

Happened here up in Korat. They put it at a main intersection 

Ok if your coming down the main street & going left, but then if your coming the other way & having to turn right, it's a nightmare. There are 2 lanes for turning right & I use the one on the left so you are then confronted with the people on the inside right lane trying to cut across after just getting through the lights not giving a crap

No idea of planning

• Like 2

The entry and exit to "central" parking lot here in Pattaya is poorly thought out too,although a bit restricted by the long narrow plot of land.

They have "reserved" the whole 2nd floor parking for the 5 * hotel...why not reserve the top floor...ohh maybe because it can take an hour to get out of the carpark from the top floor and those hotel guests might not be too impressed.

• Like 1

Pattaya traffic is always crazy at weekends with the Thai tourists so simple solution, do not drive into Pattaya at weekends - and never on a long weekend !

:lol: I try not to !
but .....
"she who must be obeyed"
only gets Sundays off from work,
on days off she likes to shuffle money from her bank accounts around and around :rolleyes:
"Central" is the only place that has almost all banks in one place and also open at weekends.

22 minutes ago, xminator said:

Guess its time Google drove its map car trough Pattaya and Jomtien again. 5 years is a long time in a place like Pattaya

So right--amazing how it has changed in those years, and continues to change rapidly.  And, this despite all those many postings proclaiming the city has died or is dying. 

Just now, newnative said:

So right--amazing how it has changed in those years, and continues to change rapidly.  And, this despite all those many postings proclaiming the city has died or is dying. 

The dead and dying postings are about the nightlife, not the city per se, and they are correct. Night life isn't even half as good as it used to be, and the authorities are seeking to drive a stake through the heart of whatever is left.

Meantime, because nothing is being done to restrict the number of vehicles on completely inadequate roads, or clear bottlenecks like parked cars etc, Pattaya is indeed becoming traffic hell.

I suggest taking an extended holiday when T 21 opens. At least till the promotions are over.

When Festival opened in Chiang Mai, there were queues out the door for the restaurants because of the specials, and they probably mostly came by private car. At least in C M they build all the people intensive new places on the superhighways, which are really excellent.

Guess the people building in Pattaya don't give a rat's bottom about the infrastructure, as long as they make a few zillion baht.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

I hope they have incorporated a very very big parking lot to cope with all the weekend Bangkokians.

Gotta say, I don't know anybody that leaves BKK on weekends to go shopping, or to find yet another franchise restaurant or food court like we have in dozens of malls on the MRT and BTS.  When I go to Jomtien for the weekend, about the only stores I visit are the TESCO or BigC to stock up the hotel fridge, or 7-11 because I forgot to pack something.

Nakula will be the worst of all.  Last I checked that is a one lane road going toward the T21.  It backs up no just wait it will be a back up the likes never seen.   Those who are there good luck, would be best to invest in a motorbike if they want to go any place. 

21 hours ago, johng said:

The entry and exit to "central" parking lot here in Pattaya is poorly thought out too,although a bit restricted by the long narrow plot of land.

They have "reserved" the whole 2nd floor parking for the 5 * hotel...why not reserve the top floor...ohh maybe because it can take an hour to get out of the carpark from the top floor and those hotel guests might not be too impressed.

Why do shoppers get priority over hotel guests in your mind?

Not sure who owns the parking lot but the hotel is integral to the shopping Mall.

Too many shopping Malls in Pattaya now, it is very much car unfriendly.

26 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

To many seaside malls in pats terminal 21 should have been built in Jomtien big mistake.

Big mistake for who?  T21 will be a huge success where it is at.  Probably would die a slow death in Jomtien.

• Like 1

I would suggest that there are many more "shoppers"
(ok aircon bathers and window shoppers) than there are hotel guests so the majority should get priority.... ?
also they could have designed a separate entrance/exit linked directly and exclusively to the hotel parking levels.
Originally it was planed to have 2 hotel towers maybe in the redesign the parking lot situation got overlooked.

I've been in Pattaya now for a little over 10 years and the traffic kaos that is weekends here, really kicked off when the last floods happened in Bangkok, with hoards of them heading down here to escape the flooding, it was almost like they all said, WOW how long has this been here and then decided to spend every week-end down here.

In saying that, I can't quite remember when Central festival first opened, so it may just have coincided with that event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

To many seaside malls in pats terminal 21 should have been built in Jomtien big mistake.

Sorry, not a mistake at all.  We had this same discussion with Central Festival.   In a tourist town, you build a Festival or a T21 where the most people are.  Why?  Because most tourists don't have a car.   Where are most of the hotels?  Not Jomtien.  They are in Pattaya--and more are being built every day and established ones like Holiday Inn have doubled in size.  Amari just tore down its Garden Wing and is building 2 new luxury hotels to replace it.  Two other large, highrise hotels are about to be finished and Grand Palazzo was also recently built.  Plus lots of other new low-rise boutique hotels on the side sois. 

Lots of tourists are in walking distance of T21 or a short baht taxi ride.   Many others will arrive by car or bus but who wouldn't want a large and growing  base of potential customers within walking distance.   Of course, Festival is a very big draw so other retail businesses want to be nearby to be in the same orbit. And it feeds on itself--each new attraction makes the area even more desirable and more popular.  So, the next big thing wants to be there, too.  Very similar to Vegas and the Vegas Strip--also a tourist town with lots of tourists without cars.  All the big name gambling houses want to be on the Strip, not in the suburbs.  Right now, Jomtien is the suburbs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

You only have to look at the number plates on the cars at weekends , masses of  Bangkokians with Bangkok plates ,then there are the Rayongians  and the Satahipians etc etc .

Yes, the working professional Thais with money don't have lots of time during the week to shop or eat at the fancy places.  Many come to Pattaya on the weekends for holiday and spend money at the malls and restaurants.

• Like 1

You are all forgetting the real problem coming up on North Pattaya Rd - all the digging that is going to start in the roadway and

the footpath to bury the electric cabling.

Which genius planned North Rd to start this project?????