Tips for exchanging baht to rupiahs in Bali?

I'm going to Bali and taking some 1000bt bills with me. This is the first time doing this with baht. I've done it plenty of times with dollars and learned the exchangers in Bali are picky with the $100 notes. Does anyone have any tips on exchanging the baht? I've seen baht listed on the exchange boards, so I know it's being done, but I'm not sure about what 1000bt bills they prefer.

Edited by cncltd1973

I wouldn't try it.

Tried changing baht to Malay money a couple of months ago.  They wouldn't touch it!

Change your baht to US $ and you'll have no trouble at all.  Just check what you get back carefully, as money changing is often a bit of a scam.

i cant remember about bali but my experience with other countries especially japan is the exchange rates are really bad on thai money and they dont get a lot of it. I would agree with masuk and exchange for american, just make sure you get clean crisp bills with even the slightest mark or rip in them.

5 hours ago, wanderluster said:

i cant remember about bali but my experience with other countries especially japan is the exchange rates are really bad on thai money and they dont get a lot of it. I would agree with masuk and exchange for american, just make sure you get clean crisp bills with even the slightest mark or rip in them.

you get stuck on the exchange rate trying to change any soft currency outside the country of origin--exchange to a hard currency locally and then re-exchange at your destination

Coincidence as I too am off to Bali and after reading this thread will take my £cash with me.

And my UK debit card.

Any opportunity to buy Rupiah at Bangkok Airport?

Some years since I was there but I recall £ was readily accepted. There was plenty of opportunity to use an ATM on arrival, and money exchanges at the airport BUT, the rate there is inferior. Also watch out in the town when changing money, some use sleight of hand, and with the mind numbing big numbers (1.3 million for 100 USD!!!) and distraction techniques you can get back to your hotel missing a good bit. One brick out of the 3-4 you got!

Edited by jacko45k

Baht are largely worthless outside of Thailand (except perhaps in one or two neighbouring poorer countries) and you will always get an awful rate for them, if indeed you can sell them at all.

So change your Baht into USD or some other international currency (EUR, GBP, JPY, CHF) before leaving. Most money changers here will sell USD and the spread is quite small.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to sit down and do the math by referencing some exchange sites and was shocked by the results. If I take baht to Bali, I'll lose about 15% of the value, as opposed to converting to USD in Thailand and then converting to IDR in Bali!

3 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to sit down and do the math by referencing some exchange sites and was shocked by the results. If I take baht to Bali, I'll lose about 15% of the value, as opposed to converting to USD in Thailand and then converting to IDR in Bali!

Yeah I actually used Google Maps and viewed the exchange rates posted next door to a hotel in Kuta to check things out.

Out of date for sure but able to cross compare.

Nice to know they will take Thai baht and the offered rate was 350,  but 400 would be fairer. Nice to have options.

My natural aversion to changing currency twice could have cost me!

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

How does that compare with buying your currency from Super Rich before you leave? I've attached their current rate.

Screenshot_20170816-083045.jpg

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

How does that compare with buying your currency from Super Rich before you leave? I've attached their current rate.

Screenshot_20170816-083045.jpg

This seems to make the most sense.If you are in Thailand and want to make a trip to Vietnam or Phillipines ect then i guess going to Super rich first in Bangkok to change ur bhts directly in these currencies will be cheaper than bring ur bhts cash with u and change them there.Will also be cheaper then to change ur bhts first in USD and then again into the Vietnam currency. Also to bring ur bkk bank card and simply to pin in vietnam so u get local currency has lower exchange rates and u pay 200 bht each transaction at the ATM.I think but not sure 100% that with Super Rich change in advance u probably best of.