Brexit talks on future UK-EU relationship likely delayed to December - Sky News

webfact

Brexit talks on future UK-EU relationship likely delayed to December - Sky News

tag-reuters.jpg

Flags are seen at the EU Commission headquarters ahead of a first full round of talks on Brexit, Britain's divorce terms from the European Union, in Brussels, Belgium July 17, 2017. REUTERS/Yves Herman

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain and the European Union may have to delay talks on their post-Brexit relationship until December as sufficient progress may not be made on the first stage of talks, Sky News cited unidentified British sources as saying.

The EU had hoped to make sufficient progress on the first phase of Brexit negotiations - on the bill Britain should pay on exit, expatriate rights and Northern Ireland - by October.

Spokeswomen for Britain's Brexit ministry did not answer repeated telephone calls seeking comment on the report.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-17

It is a waste of time....both sides opinions are too much different .

Just stop the circus so both can go on with their future on their own.....out should be out with that 1 foot that was only in...! ?

Edited by david555

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Spokeswomen for Britain's Brexit ministry did not answer repeated telephone calls seeking comment on the report.

What, no spokesmen? And shouldn't it be spokespersons? Or given the PC crowd's love affair with single syllables and chairs, spokes?

7 hours ago, david555 said:

It is a waste of time....both sides opinions are too much different .

Just stop the circus so both can go on with their future on their own.....out should be out with that 1 foot that was only in...! ?

I understand the sentiment David, we are all frustrated by the way this is going.  Truth is though that we cannot just go our own ways because we are so interlinked.  We need to employ and train thousands of customs and border officials.  We need to re-write laws, sort out the Irish border, try desperately to replace the thousands of hospital doctors, nurses and ancillary hospital workers that will leave, not to mention the thousands of people who do the menial jobs that Brits won't do.  Actually the list is endless and to avoid the economy collapsing completely we have to try to protect our trading operations with the European countries that make up 40% of our exports.

There are those who seem to believe that the negotiations are progressing behind the scenes.  Well this latest development shows us that no such progress is being made. 

I am sure we all wish this wasn't happening, whichever side we are on. It is an unmitigated disaster and will only end in damaging the UK badly.

Latest plan according to the Home Office is that EU migrants will be able to come and live in Britain after Brexit.  Front page news in The Times. The principle of freedom of movement will REMAIN for those wanting to visit or stay in the UK with a system of permits for those who want to work here.  This in line with the Irish border being a soft one but that will be decided by the 28 EU countries.   Pure chaos but don't worry.  Everything the government is announcing is on their wish list and so far as we know nothing at all has been agreed.

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I understand the sentiment David, we are all frustrated by the way this is going.  Truth is though that we cannot just go our own ways because we are so interlinked.  We need to employ and train thousands of customs and border officials.  We need to re-write laws, sort out the Irish border, try desperately to replace the thousands of hospital doctors, nurses and ancillary hospital workers that will leave, not to mention the thousands of people who do the menial jobs that Brits won't do.  Actually the list is endless and to avoid the economy collapsing completely we have to try to protect our trading operations with the European countries that make up 40% of our exports.

There are those who seem to believe that the negotiations are progressing behind the scenes.  Well this latest development shows us that no such progress is being made. 

I am sure we all wish this wasn't happening, whichever side we are on. It is an unmitigated disaster and will only end in damaging the UK badly.

Understanding that for the U.K. the change is big if not 100% ......but for the E.U  most all just keep just running on , so I think that besides the few changes ,U.K. can not expect the U.K. to cover the time for all the laws, and problems the wish of that big majority of 52 % (?) brought up ....

It is more and more looking that even U.K. government did not realized what problems for them would bring ,I only hear still taking their country back .... ok  ... no problem nobody holding U.K. .... but then do it and leave , but it seems that  they wish to have same advantages as being inside the club ..... total impossible .... remember 27 E.U.country and 8 local governmental Parliaments  have to agree by vote Unanimous...not a vote like Brexit referendum of 50.1% would be enough ....even for an extension of negotiations must be voted same way...... The idea for E.U is that it ends by   https://cf-particle-html.eip.telegraph.co.uk/b2fe68ab-797e-4408-8362-6e55abb10373.html   (Brexit time clock ...tick tok tick tok..)

Maybe a miracle happens let us hope

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Maybe a miracle happens let us hope

The miracle would be for the people to be allowed a second vote on Brexit.  The result would show an overwhelming "scrap it"..  I am sure the Brexit boys will say it would strengthen the leave vote so let's give it a go and see!

Brexit is utter nonsense. All serious people know this. Paying lip service to turnips who are in the majority is a dereliction of representative parliamentary democracy. Even the Brexiters understand this now...

A gentle tap into the long grass is appropriate.

19 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Brexit is utter nonsense. All serious people know this. Paying lip service to turnips who are in the majority is a dereliction of representative parliamentary democracy. Even the Brexiters understand this now...

But lambasting their opinions led us to this. Many people voted Brexit out of legitimate concerns which should never have been simply tossed aside by all too many involved in politics. Christ, what a mess...

56 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Brexit is utterly and absolutely imperative. All really serious people know this. The new minority of liberalist root vegetables want to finally erode UK parliamentary sovereignty, democracy and power. Even more Britons understand this now...

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Brexit is utterly and absolutely imperative. All really serious people know this. The new minority of liberalist root vegetables want to finally erode UK parliamentary sovereignty, democracy and power. Even more Britons understand this now...

Liberalist? You have to love how these new and asinine political definitions are so eagerly sprung upon us.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well, I didn't start it!

But why the blazes are you using it when your own opinions / definitions would work just as well? Such phrases are coined to incite political morons. Come on, think about it - 'Liberalist' means absolutely nothing.

43 minutes ago, baboon said:

But why the blazes are you using it when your own opinions / definitions would work just as well? Such phrases are coined to incite political morons. Come on, think about it - 'Liberalist' means absolutely nothing.

As does a root vegetable, intellectually.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Brexit is utterly and absolutely imperative. All really serious people know this.

What exactly do you think will be achieved by Brexit?  It is an honest question because at the moment I can't see an upside.  Taking back the borders isn't going to happen and immigration will continue.  No new money for the NHS as was promised.  A weak pound that will weaken further on exit. Price rises on everything.  Not one of the promises made by the Brexit gang is going to be delivered.  Please explain the up-side.

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

What exactly do you think will be achieved by Brexit?  It is an honest question because at the moment I can't see an upside.  Taking back the borders isn't going to happen and immigration will continue.  No new money for the NHS as was promised.  A weak pound that will weaken further on exit. Price rises on everything.  Not one of the promises made by the Brexit gang is going to be delivered.  Please explain the up-side.

It was said many times that the voters knew exactly what they were doing, but they didn't, no one did. The vote was based on emotional concerns rather than rational thinking , Pandora's box was opened and now reality is beginning to bite. There will be many holidaymakers sat on the Costa Del Bigger Fortune this year wondering if they should have thought a bit more.

The devalued currency has made imports more expensive, cutting into the margins of many British businesses and making some unsustainable. One pound bought just over €1.30 on the eve of the vote, compared to just €1.09 now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-southern-salads-administration-job-losses-260-uk-food-supplier-weak-pound-sterling-value-a7898086.html

6 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Nope, not again! Exhaustive lists of my reasons were posted on earlier Brexit topics.There has been no real change as far as i am concerned and it looks like that individuals have not changed their minds much from a year ago either.

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It was said many times that the voters knew exactly what they were doing, but they didn't, no one did. The vote was based on emotional concerns rather than rational thinking , Pandora's box was opened and now reality is beginning to bite. There will be many holidaymakers sat on the Costa Del Bigger Fortune this year wondering if they should have thought a bit more.

The devalued currency has made imports more expensive, cutting into the margins of many British businesses and making some unsustainable. One pound bought just over €1.30 on the eve of the vote, compared to just €1.09 now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-southern-salads-administration-job-losses-260-uk-food-supplier-weak-pound-sterling-value-a7898086.html

Personally, I looked at the whole of the EU, and its performance rationally, with an open view. The emotion came once I realized what a sham it is.

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

Nope, not again! Exhaustive lists of my reasons were posted on earlier Brexit topics.There has been no real change as far as i am concerned and it looks like that individuals have not changed their minds much from a year ago either.

You may have given reasons before but can you not see that nothing promised by the Brexit boys that got you to vote leave is going to be achieved.  They are failing on every front.  The reality is a disaster and they are letting everyone down, both sides!  If you think that nothing has changed from a year ago then I would agree with you. A year on and no progress whatsoever.  On the other hand if you think the people who voted leave haven't changed their minds then you should welcome a second vote to shut all the Remoaners up.  No bottle for that though!

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

You may have given reasons before but can you not see that nothing promised by the Brexit boys that got you to vote leave is going to be achieved.  They are failing on every front.  The reality is a disaster and they are letting everyone down, both sides!  If you think that nothing has changed from a year ago then I would agree with you. A year on and no progress whatsoever.  On the other hand if you think the people who voted leave haven't changed their minds then you should welcome a second vote to shut all the Remoaners up.  No bottle for that though!

My opinion of the EU was formed way before the referendum and has nothing to do with the "Brexit Boys" or the Project Fear faction, who both promised things that were either false, unachievable, not within their power at the time, or any combination of those three. Nobody knows what the reality is yet as we are still in the thing. Leaving the EU was always going to be difficult but a fair amount of goodwill on both sides would make it a lot easier; unfortunately there does not seem to be too much of that about.

Article 50 was triggered 5 months ago, not 14. Hopefully both sides will realize that a sensible new arrangement will be of mutual interest before too much longer and start getting their acts together. My guess is that EU side want to be sure who is running Germany after September.

A second referendum, third, fourth? Then what's the point of having them? The EU forced these on the French, Dutch and Irish and they are using all of their tools to encourage the same in the UK. It's different this time as it is not concerning a treaty but if you want to see a real disaster in the UK, then a second referendum will bring that about! Read my quote below! 

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

My opinion of the EU was formed way before the referendum and has nothing to do with the "Brexit Boys" or the Project Fear faction, who both promised things that were either false, unachievable, not within their power at the time, or any combination of those three. Nobody knows what the reality is yet as we are still in the thing. Leaving the EU was always going to be difficult but a fair amount of goodwill on both sides would make it a lot easier; unfortunately there does not seem to be too much of that about.

Article 50 was triggered 5 months ago, not 14. Hopefully both sides will realize that a sensible new arrangement will be of mutual interest before too much longer and start getting their acts together. My guess is that EU side want to be sure who is running Germany after September.

A second referendum, third, fourth? Then what's the point of having them? The EU forced these on the French, Dutch and Irish and they are using all of their tools to encourage the same in the UK. It's different this time as it is not concerning a treaty but if you want to see a real disaster in the UK, then a second referendum will bring that about! Read my quote below! 

Thank you for your well balanced response and I apologise if my post appeared aggressive.  You have made your position clear and that seems to be that although you do not expect anything to be achieved by way of negotiation by the Brexit team you still think that it is the right thing to leave.  I respect that as you have obviously given this a lot of thought. 

The reason I am wittering on about a second referendum is two fold.  Firstly I think it is only fair that because the public were lied to (by both sides I know), that must mean that they voted based on untruths.  Now it is clear that they were lies and leaving the EU (which is badly flawed I agree) and that the things they actually voted for will not be achieved, shouldn't they have a chance to vote again with hindsight.  Secondly if the negotiations go ahead with no positive results (which is highly likely) then parliament will simply vote and Brexit is likely to collapse.  A second vote would therefore indicate whether the public, who the MP's represent are still in favour of Brexit.

In other words it is the will of the people that matters here  but it must be an informed public that defines that will and not one that has been hoodwinked. I stood in the voting booth for ten minutes before putting my cross on remain because I too believed some of the leave rhetoric.  It was a close call in the end.  However since then and now that I can see the lies and bullsh*t we were fed I am angry and feel cheated by the result. 

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Do you want to keep having votes until You get the answer You wanted,  

we only had one vote to remain in or leave, we had no vote whatsoever to go in, so surely one vote to leave or stay is enough.

You don't like the result tough, learn to live with it, yes the £ has suffered, that was to be expected,

being in or out for the majority on this forum is incidental to most on here, we have had our time, we had to suffer being in the 'club'.  

they are like a bunch of kids wanting money which is all they have ever wanted, we don't want to give them anymore, so the teddy has left the pram.

you are saying the majority that voted to leave only did so because we were lied to, i think it was because they wanted out, and this for many people was the first chance they had been given to choose

all politicians lie, its in the blood and job description.

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Do you want to keep having votes until You get the answer You wanted,  

we only had one vote to remain in or leave, we had no vote whatsoever to go in, so surely one vote to leave or stay is enough.

You don't like the result tough, learn to live with it, yes the £ has suffered, that was to be expected,

being in or out for the majority on this forum is incidental to most on here, we have had our time, we had to suffer being in the 'club'.  

they are like a bunch of kids wanting money which is all they have ever wanted, we don't want to give them anymore, so the teddy has left the pram.

you are saying the majority that voted to leave only did so because we were lied to, i think it was because they wanted out, and this for many people was the first chance they had been given to choose

all politicians lie, its in the blood and job description.

Yes, the heart of democracy is not being able to change your mind.