Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING on Phuket beach

webfact

11 minutes ago, Iumentum said:

Who got the main responsibility for children? While the operator should not have allowed this for a bit extra profit, the parents should be responsible enough to not even consider it. The responsibility is mainly at the parents, no matter how you want to spin this.

Partly, but society never just 'trusts' parents to make the right choices that's why there are Health and Safety Regs. This will have traumatized that child of stupid parents. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, LannaGuy said:

Partly, but society never just 'trusts' parents to make the right choices that's why there are Health and Safety Regs. This will have traumatized that child of stupid parents. 

I guess such irresponsible parents are the results of creating nanny states. I hate the attitude about things being the fault of the society. If you create kids, then they are ought to be your responsibility to raise them right.

2 hours ago, happyas said:

Seeing his/her quote in the Sun makes me feel that he has an issue with parasailing operators more than the concern for the child;

“The parasailing companies around Phuket are very aggressive in signing up customers and as you can see do not care in the least who signs up as long as they are paying!”

If it's the Sun then you can bet that the story has the most tenuous of connexions to the truth. The paper is owned by the Ghastly Gargoyle, after all.

56 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

The video ONLY shows the bit when the child comes down. Why no footage of it crying being forced into the sky?

Seems to me it's more likely the kid wanted to go up

Seriously? Who the foxtrot in their right mind would let a 2 year old kid do this? They cannot even control their own bowel movements on terra firma at that young and tender age. Scarred for life, poor kid.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Blood idiots the lot of them !!!

It just goes to show the mentality of these operators and the Chinese, cheap thrills for the kid, no charge, 2 for 1.

So sorry for the poor child, as he/she will be scared for life when it comes to heights, someone should put the father into a cage with a tiger, lets see if he fears the tiger, or screams that he doesn't want to go in there, that would just about even the score I would think.

As for parasailing in Thailand, ban it, because these clowns will kill someone else for a few baht sadly, because they are as thick as a buffalo !!!

That's an insult to buffaloes.

Wow sheeple, what an outpouring of every emotion, based on a story that has little credence posted by a news outlet that also has no  credence, from racial slurs to tough guys who will beat up the father, hysterical  hand wringing and breast beating et al.

There was nothing atall  to to suggest  that the story has even a hint of truth as per the raging headlines!

Okay the locals [as is expected] take joy in kicking the operators at every chance, because, and i agree than are a blight on the beaches, and should be controlled.

Others who are so wrapped in cottonwool panic if their kids get so much as a head cold, and then the naive who have no idea about how these parasails operate here and have done for decades, with very, very few deaths at all.

Geeesus the child had more chance of being hurt or even killed getting to Patong from the airport, and/or even crossing the road to get onto the beach, let alone living in China, with all its hazards of day to day living.

Maybe its the rainy weather, twisting the minds of some people to post such nonsense on this non occurrence.

Edited by happyas

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Blood idiots the lot of them !!!

It just goes to show the mentality of these operators and the Chinese, cheap thrills for the kid, no charge, 2 for 1.

So sorry for the poor child, as he/she will be scared for life when it comes to heights, someone should put the father into a cage with a tiger, lets see if he fears the tiger, or screams that he doesn't want to go in there, that would just about even the score I would think.

As for parasailing in Thailand, ban it, because these clowns will kill someone else for a few baht sadly, because they are as thick as a buffalo !!!

You have made many completely unsubstantiated assertions here and presented them as 'fact'. And your analogy of paragliding and being put into a cage with a tiger is a logical non-sequitur. And no-one was killed today...unlike the roads in Thailand. You're better off calling for cars and motorcycles to be banned, there is a real safety problem.

Certainly didn't see anyone rescue the child.  The child had already been strapped in and the activity had already taken place.  There was no rescue at all, where did they get that bullshit from?  What is the world coming to when you have fuckhead fathers like this as role models.  

I have an interesting take on this... because I was there!

I googled the story and this is how I came to learn about this forum and thought I would add something to the discussion.

Yesterday, my daughter emailed me the Sun article because she knew I was in Patong last week and thought I may be interested in this as she has two young daughters 5 and 3, and remarked that she could not fathom how this would be allowed anywhere. My sister and I (she's 51 and I'm 58), witnessed the whole event as we were sitting not far from where the paragliders land (we were on the opposite side from where the video appears to be filmed from) and quite frankly we were both in shock. We are now in Malaysia enjoying some of the sights for a few more days before heading to Singapore and then back to the UK next week.

However, the Sun article is not entirely correct and does seem to embellish the situation some (hey, it's The Sun, we're used to it and you take it with a grain of salt). Firstly, the quote from the article "When the parachute started getting near the beach, passers-by ran to catch the tether and pull the toddler back to the ground." is patently false. There was no passers-by but merely the employees of the company who I guess that's their job to do and did so correctly. Secondly, "The concerned group crowded around the small child to make sure she was okay and the crying infant was carried away by her father." is not quite accurate as they were not what I would call a  "concerned group" but merely employees.

However, the rest of the article is reasonably accurate as the girl was definitely forced against her will into the harness and was crying and struggling when they were putting her in it. When they came in for landing you could hear her crying and once out of the harness you could really see that she was extremely upset until she finally calmed down a few minutes later. What is not shown on the video, is that the mother came over later and then took her a few metres away to the public sidewalk area then pulled down her panties/pull-up diaper and let the little girl relieve herself in front of people (and no clean up either). I guess I would need to go too if I had just been traumatized, so not the girls fault.

The facts not in dispute are that the girl was no more than two and looking at her it would be safe to say she may have not even been two, but two is fairly accurate. She did not want to go up and was letting people know this by struggling and crying (this is not the same as being forced to eat your broccoli). Age restrictions did not seem to be a factor for the company, however, they should not have been party to this seeing that the girl obviously did not want to go. A google search for age limits for parasailing around the world puts the minimum age of 6 as long as you are accompanied by a parent/guardian. A two year old does not have the mental capacity to understand/agree/ask to go paragliding, whilst a parent does have rights, these are often restricted in some way by laws governing children and their environment (think age restrictions for movies) to what they can and cannot do publicly.

Finally, an event such as this can be very traumatizing for a young child even though they may seem to recover from the event fairly quickly. Yes, toddlers cry over lots of things, but severe trauma (including psychological) can have life-long implications - ever met someone who was bitten by a dog when they were a toddler/child? Many do get over it while many others fear dogs into adulthood and sometimes the rest of their lives. So why force a child into something that is very scary (even for adults) and think that all is ok? Lots of blame to go around starting with the parents who obviously were not thinking everything through, to the paragliding company for allowing a 2 yo to go up, and the local authorities for probably not enforcing their rules (if there is any) concerning the safety and well-being of the tourists who come to Patong and Thailand for a good time.

I like Thailand and its people, and do look froward to returning again, hopefully awareness of an incident such as this helps make improvements for the good of everyone!

Thanks. Mary.

4 hours ago, happyas said:

Sensationalism..Fionn gets paid to contribute this nonsense to The Sun.

I wouldn't take my 2 yo on this ride, but it's up to the individual to make this choice IMO.

The headline jumps out thus;

Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING by her dad before being rescued by strangers on Thai beach

I see no evidence of any of this BS in this video.

Or this;

"The child, believed to be two years old, was in distress when she was strapped into the harness and was quickly rescued by concerned passers-by"

Screaming?? rescued by concerned passers by??

Bizarre!

Actually, I don't think that the 2 year-old had much of a choice in the matter.

35 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

You have made many completely unsubstantiated assertions here and presented them as 'fact'. And your analogy of paragliding and being put into a cage with a tiger is a logical non-sequitur. And no-one was killed today...unlike the roads in Thailand. You're better off calling for cars and motorcycles to be banned, there is a real safety problem.

Fair suk of the sav mate, was just trying to put things into perspective, you know, at their level 555

4 hours ago, happyas said:

Sensationalism..Fionn gets paid to contribute this nonsense to The Sun.

I wouldn't take my 2 yo on this ride, but it's up to the individual to make this choice IMO.

The headline jumps out thus;

Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING by her dad before being rescued by strangers on Thai beach

I see no evidence of any of this BS in this video.

Or this;

"The child, believed to be two years old, was in distress when she was strapped into the harness and was quickly rescued by concerned passers-by"

Screaming?? rescued by concerned passers by??

Bizarre!

I agree. <deleted> is Thaivisa and The Sun talking about? 

7 minutes ago, MaryM said:

@happyanook , @happyas

Please read my comment above that I posted 25 minutes ago which may help clarify things for you.

Mary

Sorry Mary, your assumptions clarify nothing. I see a kid who was crying a bit after a ride. Fairly normal I'd say. 

3 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

With 1500 posts surely you know better than to never, ever get involved in other peoples issues in Thailand?

1500 post means only that he knows to connect to the internet.

lord knows there are asshats on here with 5 times that that have a few thai vacations under their belt

"Sorry Mary, your assumptions clarify nothing. I see a kid who was crying a bit after a ride. Fairly normal I'd say. "

Yes, just a simple "ride", sort of similar to the ones you find at the local carnival designed to take toddlers, like the choo-choo train circling a 10 metre track ... I guess you are the type who would force your 2 yo on such a ride, right?

I was there, you were not. End of story.