Pattaya's sewage treatment plants just can't cope, meeting told

snoop1130

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Just exactly where is this ephemeral sewage treatment plant ? I used to design them, large ones in towns and cities, and scanning over Pattaya and surrounding areas on Google Earth I have never seen anything vaguely resembling a proper sewage treatment plant !

There is one in jomtien, soi wat boon close to suk rd

The other one is in Naklua I think.

Edited by Peterw42

Lets be real here.... this problem is nothing new.  Its a case of mismanagement at the highest levels for a very long time.  It's not only the poor water quality it's also the plastic contamination that encompasses the whole of the gulf of Thailand and that's been like that from back in the 1980's.  Nothing is going to sort these problems in the short term and nothing will sort these problems in the long term until the government has the will and want to throw (lots) money at the problems to address them.  It will take years to sort this mess out (and thats starting today) and it's going to cost some serious money and commitment.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

why wasn't it identified 5 years ago that the system will soon reach it's capacity 

5 years ago it was already over capacity.... long term plan 10-15 years ago should have made provision....

in Western countries we have a bunch of local rules/laws planning building. In TH there is none of that. Its not a criticism, just the difference in thinking, and that "everything will get solved".  No pre emptive thinking. 

I live in Pattaya in one of the new high rise buildings. Just this complex is 1000 apartments at Soi2. Electricy: the first year we had power outages at least once a week.  The last month the transformator for this grid exploded. TWICE. 

The sewer problem is because of this. Erecting 50000 new condos in Pattaya in a 5 year term and no new infrastructure = electricity, communication and sewer problems. Maybe politicians should deal with this instead of making Walking Street "clean"?

Its a matter of planning and using resources right.

(Culture differences. Again: no disrespect but more of a funny reflection.  I take a motorbike taxi. He drives wrong way one way street. He takes shortcuts on walkways. If something happens. Its lord Buddha's will.  The person is not responsible. That mentality is the sewer problem. Its a great mentality 90% of life, but please add some boring Germanic planning/ordning. Love this country. Love the way of life. I just want it to be better for us all) 

• Like 1

Just exactly where is this ephemeral sewage treatment plant ? I used to design them, large ones in towns and cities, and scanning over Pattaya and surrounding areas on Google Earth I have never seen anything vaguely resembling a proper sewage treatment plant !

There is one on Soi Wat Boon in Jomtien
I posted photos of it before...

Better Pattaya give the bars and prostitution the 'green light' once more..........

Better.... 'Sin City'...........

than an 'Open Sewer' for drawing crowds here.............

Then again........ This 'just happened'.......... Right?

Or did the 'swelling' problem that was not meant to be seen, just (All of a sudden) pop right out of nowhere???????

Too much 'focus' on 'Sin City', Not enough 'focus' in the 'RIGHT PLACES'.......  LOL.....

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Plus some of the liters didn't arrive as cubes but insisted on taking other shapes.

Be careful, I pointed out to TV a few weeks ago regarding another article where the reporter was mathematically challenged

and they gave me a black mark. Of course this article should read 65,000 cu.metres/day and 80,000cu.metres/day....

Now awaiting second black mark.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is simply telling us something that we knew already. The water is seriously shitty and getting worse. Here's an idea, rather than uselessly raiding bars for the sake of being seen to do something, invest in the water treatment that is actually needed for a city this size. Because tourists are the lifeline of the place, and they wont be seen here if there is a constant supply of floating turds in the water at the beach.

What connection is there in the police raiding bars and the city council investing in better infrastructure? Please explain.

17 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Well if they want to make Pattaya a family friendly resort,first thing to do is b sure the water is good enough for swimming, once word gets out about Pattaya water quality,bye bye Pattaya,in this world of social media,word spreads like wildfire.

Too late dude its already out there .. Y T's , sosh-media , etc some newspaper's have carried stories on it .. The cat is out of the bag .. 

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I also have been designing and manufacturing Sewage Treatment Plants all over the world, for the last 40 years, including some of the first in Pattaya 30 years ago. I cannot imagine how you missed the main Central Treatment plant in Pattaya which I located in Google Earth in a few seconds. For your benefit I have attached the photo, it Is located off of Soi Phon Praphanimit 5. I believe that it is currently under repair as some tanks are leaking. The second plant is on Soi Wat Boonkanjanarom Jomtien. The two plants combined are designed for 85,000Cu.metres/day.

Pattaya Central STP No.1.jpg

Edited by Estrada

Well, Kobkarn - the minister of tourism (in real language "minister of funny entertainment") said it all along - people come to Thailand for its nature - go figure. 
The waste water treatment plant on the dark side of Sukhumvit, which I pass often, is NEVER in operation. Maybe the same engineers at the helm who are in charge of the underpass ........

More shitty news about Thailand.   Why not cap hotel occupancy so capacity will stay below 80,000 capacity to treat?  Should be officially closed beach water area until healthy water returns.    Have the raids really taken the fun out of the night life?  No wonder so many 20+ million houses advertised for sale on here

49 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What connection is there in the police raiding bars and the city council investing in better infrastructure? Please explain.

It is all about image and priorities. They waste time and money raiding bars, which we all know is going to do absolutely nothing. Whatever is going on at any given bar will continue to go on, either in the same place next day or somewhere just up the road.But the bad press the town has had makes the zombies in power focus on quick solutions. They genuinely believed all the problems would go away with a few raids. In the meantime, things that really have an impact on the town , such as in this case, wastewater infrastructure, nothing has been done. Why? Because Thais don't plan ahead or think about necessary items until loss of face leaves them no option. And that is where we are today. Hope that clarifies it for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

More to the point, why wasn't it identified 5 years ago that the system will soon reach it's capacity and something already done to massively increase the system capacity before it can become as issue.

Again. Gross lack of planning, and some heads should role. 

There are plenty of very capable people in this country but 99% of them will never get to positions of valuable analysis, anticipation of future needs, policy development, innovations etc., because they can't afford the promotion 'fees'.

Five years ago, the previous city administration were still pondering what to buy themselves with the 10 million baht/year they pocketed from the maintenance contract they canceled 2 years earlier.

• Like 2