Trump pushes debunked 'pig's blood' myth, hours after Barcelona attack

webfact

Trump pushes debunked 'pig's blood' myth, hours after Barcelona attack

US President Donald Trump has invoked a debunked myth about a general who fought Islamist militants by using pig's blood to commit mass executions.

The president's tweet came hours after a driver crashed a van into a crowd of people in Barcelona, leaving many dead or injured.

"Study what General Pershing... did to terrorists when caught," Mr Trump said, referring to the discredited story. Historians and fact checkers say there is no truth to it.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40969475

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-08-18

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Interesting idea. I wonder how potential islamic terrorists would feel if they knew their corpse would be fed to swine, or buried wrapped in swine offal? 

It is comforting to know there is one world leader taking this islamic terror seriously.

It's not an original idea.

It's the failed U.S. president pushing a false version of history.  Red meat for his rabidly Islamophobic hard core base of deplorables/despicables. Diversion from his spectacular failures. The mentally bizarre baby man doesn't know about or care about history, facts, ethics, morals, or really anything other than his own self interest.

Islamic terrorists are dangerous.

American Nazi terrorists are dangerous.

The current American president, totally incompetent and holding the nuclear codes, is dangerous as well. 

26 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Interesting idea. I wonder how potential islamic terrorists would feel if they knew their corpse would be fed to swine, or buried wrapped in swine offal? 

It is comforting to know there is one world leader taking this islamic terror seriously.

Especially knowing on USA soil most of the terrorist attacks are done by white right wing extremists...

Pershing nodded to another officer, and a moment later two order- lies appeared. One carried a dead pig, the other a bucket of pig's blood. More than anything else, the Moros feared contamination by a pig, which would bar them from the Mohammedan heaven. Pershing scooped up a dipper of the blood, enough to spatter the whole assem- blage, then pointed to the treaty. There was no further argument from the chiefs. One by one they stepped forward and agreed to the treaty. These various techniques, friendly and forcible, proved their value in the hard campaigning ahead. Pershing had only 700 men under his command and could have been wiped out in the coming year of march- ing and fighting if the thousands of Malanaos in the lake districts de- cided to rise up against him.

https://archive.org/stream/blackjackpershin030769mbp/blackjackpershin030769mbp_djvu.txt

I find it truly amazing that this "President" continuously pours forth a string of absolute (and often totally debunked) falsehoods, that do nothing but show what an idiot he is, while stirring up racial hatred among the stupid, but has the gall to scream "fake news", when the press accurately reports on his shortcomings.

I have moved from the position of saying worst US president ever, to worst world leader ever. Crazy as he is, even Kim Jong Un has more mental stability than this twisted moron.

Donald's delusion keeps on going. I wonder how many other debunked legends will he tout as real? I bet the earth is really only about 6000 years old or so too.

General Pershing Pig’s Blood Myth: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/general-pershing-trump-bullets-dipped-in-pigs-blood-myth/

Yeah, this same sleazy lying clown president that publicly insults credible news sources like CNN, Washington Post, New York Times calling out  "fake news" like a bratty 10 year old, while he's a good buddy with truly insane fake news / conspiracy theory  site Infowars. To this pig's blood dog whistle, the correct response is fake HISTORY. 

2 hours ago, Silurian said:

Donald's delusion keeps on going. I wonder how many other debunked legends will he tout as real? I bet the earth is really only about 6000 years old or so too.

General Pershing Pig’s Blood Myth: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/general-pershing-trump-bullets-dipped-in-pigs-blood-myth/

Christianity for one.

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

Congratulations.  You have found an unauthorized biography so obscure that when I enter the title of the book and the author's name ("Black Jack Pershing" by Richard O'Connor) I get results that indicate the book has not been read or reviewed by anyone in the 56 years since it was published.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Congratulations.  You have found an unauthorized biography so obscure that when I enter the title of the book and the author's name ("Black Jack Pershing" by Richard O'Connor) I get results that indicate the book has not been read or reviewed by anyone in the 56 years since it was published.

Perhaps no one has read it, however it appears that Amazon Books believes they've sold copies. It certainly was published in paperback and hardcover. So I think it's a reasonable bet that it has been read (not by me).

It also appears in LibraryThing and has been added there multiple times.

Here's the review from Kerkus Reviews:

KIRKUS REVIEW

Beginning with a Missouri boyhood, West Point, Apache and Sioux-chasing days, and a Negro command which earned his famous nickname, this unofficial biography traces the life of General Pershing through some of the most exciting and colorful days of American history. His days in Cuba and the Philippines, his Villa chase, and his assumption of command of the A.E.F., followed by vivid, visual accounts of the First World War, make fascinating reading. The history of the War of course forms the larger part of the book. In it Pershing's own iron character is set off against the intrigues of Haig to prevent an American army, of the bickering of staff conferences with Petain and Foche, and in the background, the rise of William Mitchell and the importance of airpower. The book does not penetrate deeply into the character of Pershing himself. Perhaps it would be impossible to do so. Rather, it carefully follows, gathers facts, documents, and lets the reader guess as to the psychology behind the strict, disciplinarian mask. Good job.

Of course this has no bearing on whether the myth has any basis in fact or not.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's not an original idea.

It's the failed U.S. president pushing a false version of history.  Red meat for his rabidly Islamophobic hard core base of deplorables/despicables. Diversion from his spectacular failures. The mentally bizarre baby man doesn't know about or care about history, facts, ethics, morals, or really anything other than his own self interest.

Islamic terrorists are dangerous.

American Nazi terrorists are dangerous.

The current American president, totally incompetent and holding the nuclear codes, is dangerous as well. 

The current American president is the most dangerous od all. Islamic and American Nazi terrorists only (I use the term loosely) manage to kill and injure a few people at a time.

Trump has control of devices that can kill many hundreds of thousands of people instantly, and millions more in the longer term.

10 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

are you serious? it is extremely disquieting to know that there are people so easily duped as you seem to be-

(and i will not address how utterly offensive the entire 2nd sentence is)

of course, it's not surprising that you and so many others are clueless on the actual facts; those who spout off most about the "problem" know the least about its actual roots- the US, in partnership w/Saudis and Israelis have been the ones fomenting and encouraging so-called Islamic terrorism, from Taliban/Al Quaeda in 80's/90's Afghanistan, etc  to ISIS et al from mid-2000's onwards in the aftermath of US-led intervention(s) and/or regime destruction in   Iraq (& Afghanistan again), then Libya and elsewhere

11 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I'm sure it would make all jihadist terrorists think twice and instantly bring all attacks to an end.  :passifier:

Edited by KhaoNiaw

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Red meat for his rabidly Islamophobic hard core base of deplorables/despicables.

Islamophobic? Serious? Who did the attacks yesterday in Spain? Christians? Buddhists? Hindus? Islam IS a threat to this world. The ideology of Islam is a cancer and it spreads fast.

Islamophobic? Serious? Who did the attacks yesterday in Spain? Christians? Buddhists? Hindus? Islam IS a threat to this world. The ideology of Islam is a cancer and it spreads fast.

So now Isis represents all Muslims. Yes. Islamophobia bigly.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

So now Isis represents all Muslims. Yes. Islamophobia bigly.

Your statement makes no sense.

23,000 Jihadists in Britain

15,000 Jihadists in France

Only two examples. And daily new Muslims immigrate to Europe.

Good night Europe. The lefties betray you.

So what percentage of global Muslims is that?

12 hours ago, webfact said:

"Study what General Pershing... did to terrorists when caught,"

So says the man who insists that he must have all the facts on alleged terrorist attacks before he makes a public statement. When he condemns terrorist acts with lies he discredits his reaction as being sincere.

Trump has said he's the least racist person you've ever met. It's more likely he's the least trustworthy person you've ever met.

So says the man who insists that he must have all the facts on alleged terrorist attacks before he makes a public statement. When he condemns terrorist acts with lies he discredits his reaction as being sincere.
Trump has said he's the least racist person you've ever met. It's more likely he's the least trustworthy person you've ever met.
In any case he's the worst person imaginable to ever be president. Sometimes it feels the. USA is on a suicide mission.

56 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

A problem that needs dealing with, certainly. But plenty of fine British Muslims out there.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, this same sleazy lying clown president that publicly insults credible news sources like CNN, Washington Post, New York Times calling out  "fake news" like a bratty 10 year old, while he's a good buddy with truly insane fake news / conspiracy theory  site Infowars. To this pig's blood dog whistle, the correct response is fake HISTORY. 

to some extent I agree about biaised news and one-sided stories - I also resent the political orientation of news reporting, especially in Western Europe - but it seems that in politics there is no way to get a balanced view on things.

It's either leftists refusing to acknowledge reality or retarded alt-right types.

Trump really is an embarassment.

Ex-Homeland security adviser: Trump's Pershing tweet 'absurd'

"It's absurd not only because it's fact-free, it's absolutely without any basis," Lisa Monaco said."

"It's been debunked by historians for years."

"And it's a danger because it's putting forward, basically claiming we should use an atrocity, in essence a war crime, in response to terrorism."

http://us.cnn.com/2017/08/18/politics/lisa-monaco-pershing-tweet/index.html

Fact free.

Like everything else that comes out of the inept one's mouth.