Reporting motorcyclists on the sidewalk - first ten "super grasses" paid out!

rooster59

Eventually, they'll figure out that they could keep all the money if they'd fix the zillions of CCTV cameras around the city and treat them a lot like red light cameras.

Sentence some of the cops transferred to inactive posts to 200 hours of staring at CCTV videos looking for scofflaws and it's 2 birds with one stone...  

In fact, rather than 200 hours, don't let up on them until they find 100,000 baht worth of fine money.  Win-win-cha-ching.  It may work out so well they want to expand the program to all kinds of traffic infractions, and make a tiny dent in BKK's huge snarl.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

I live in Asia.  You live in Thailand.  And you accuse me of living in an "alternate reality".   If you wish to hold Thailand to a low standard and apologize for broken institutions, please continue to do so.  And please continue you picking small bits of my argument apart.  Eventually, you may start sounding credible. 

Actually, Taiwan has put cameras all over Taipei to do just what you say is impossible in Bangkok and that was in 2005.   Watched them do it.  Watched them pull the wires.    Today, wireless costs are very low and far more advanced.  Wires would not need to be pulled.  

Your turn. 

Who is going to monitor these thousands of "wireless" CCTV's in hanging baskets all over Thailand? Who pays for it? Have you seen the mess of wiring already hanging from posts in Thailand. You have seemed to overlooked the deterrent factor of the "grasses" reporting the motorcycles on the footpath. Once a few people have been reported and fined the word will spread, and hopefully it will become a thing of the past. Certainly a far cheaper option that what you suggest.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Who is going to monitor these thousands of "wireless" CCTV's in hanging baskets all over Thailand? Who pays for it?

Cities all over the world have farmed it out to private contractors who install the cameras for free, monitor them and send out the tickets, all for a percentage of the fines.  They do need access to DMV records to know where to send the ticket, but that's pretty easy to oversee.

I'm not advocating farming it out, but it's an indication of how lucrative it can be.

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Cities all over the world have farmed it out to private contractors who install the cameras for free, monitor them and send out the tickets, all for a percentage of the fines.  They do need access to DMV records to know where to send the ticket, but that's pretty easy to oversee.

Who follows up when the fines are ignored? Thousands of contractors knocking on doors trying to get the money? Can you provide details of these "cities all over the world" that are farming this work out?

Edited by giddyup

Just now, giddyup said:

Who follows up when the fines are ignored? Thousands of contractors knocking on doors trying to get the money. Can you provide details of all these cities that are farming this work out?

Same people who follow up when any fine is ignored.  Most places in the world, cops just issue a ticket and the fine is paid later.  Try getting your car registered next year when there's an unpaid fine.  

You can Google just as well as I can...

Footpaths by definition are for walkers. Many times when taking my toddler to nursery in a pushchair from Phra Ram 9 along Ratchadapisek I had to dodge motorcycles, mostly taxis, racing between the subway stations for people too lazy to walk and who would not ride along the road. They even put pipes across the foot way outside the True Tower to discourage them, it just made it more of a nuisance for me with the pushchair, they rode the wrong way along the road for that section.

The sooner all these inconsiderate riders are fined out of existence the better for pedestrians, pushchairs and the disabled in wheelchairs.

"Five thousand people have shown an interest in being "super grasses" to help the authorities clean up Bangkok and make money on the side."

While I'm all for making the sidewalks a safer place, I find it pathetic that joe public has to be paid to the job of the police force.  Why not get the BiB to get off their <deleted> and pay them the 50% reward money; I'm sure there will be smiling faces all round, and they wouldn't have to rely on motorist's contributions to to-up their salary.

Of course, the real worry is what happens when a list of super grasses finds its way onto the street!  Everything has its price!

59 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

its just an annoyance having to move to let them pass. Its a farang myth they are a deadly menace and if that were the case and they were all flying then there would be hundreds of deaths. Handing the footpaths back to the people is simply required for a eventual first world transition. No way around that one

Even though I let them pass, I usually point to the road and ask them 'Have you ever heard of the road?'. The puzzled look on their faces is priceless...

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Same people who follow up when any fine is ignored.  Most places in the world, cops just issue a ticket and the fine is paid later.  Try getting your car registered next year when there's an unpaid fine.  

You can Google just as well as I can...

Still waiting to hear about all these cities worldwide that have contractors doing this work. It's not a worry to the many thousands of Thais that don't register their bikes/cars and don't have valid licences. You are applying the same rules to a developing society as a developed one.

Rama IV Road near Sukhumvit is crawling with motorcyclists riding on the sidewalk. However they do it because the intersection lights are poorly managed and the road is always congested with cars waiting for the light to change. When it does change, it's only for 20 seconds after which drivers wait another 7-10 minutes for another light change. The police know about it and station personnel there once a week.

So for me this is forcing people for denunciation: something that is more and more foreced from the government!

Instead doing this the police should get their asses out of the cool boots on to the streets to do their job they are paid for!

Oh but yes: money money makes the thais go around to follow this appeal for denunciation!

Poor Thailand!

Also someone has to do is stand In a busy part of Bkk In the rush hour. With a pair of those spy glasses filming. Then go home and edit out all the offenders. Better yet just walk round bkk all day and film anyone who overtakes you on the sidewalk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thai rat Thai.  Suppose policing should come from somewhere, but paying people to rat on one another is a bit sick.  

Not when the results can be a safer place for pedestrians.

18 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

This could be a career option for some. Motorcyc pavement b0unty hunter!

Indeed.

And to save the whole trouble of taking pictures and waiting for confirmation the pictures checks out and the person pays, why not give these people some extra training and let them write out the ticket at the spot. They can immidiately explain to the bike rider what he did wrong. 

Besides riding on the sidewalk they could also check for other traffic violations.

Guess they will be needing an uniform to clearly indicate their special powers and privileges to write out tickets. And in case more serious crimes occur they have to carry a gun.

Wait, am i just describing the police force?

Strange country where citizens have to take over tasks of regular police officers because they cannot be bothered to do their job.

Indeed.
And to save the whole trouble of taking pictures and waiting for confirmation the pictures checks out and the person pays, why not give these people some extra training and let them write out the ticket at the spot. They can immidiately explain to the bike rider what he did wrong. 
Besides riding on the sidewalk they could also check for other traffic violations.
Guess they will be needing an uniform to clearly indicate their special powers and privileges to write out tickets. And in case more serious crimes occur they have to carry a gun.

Wait, am i just describing the police force?

Strange country where citizens have to take over tasks of regular police officers because they cannot be bothered to do their job.
It is a bit strange. But it could be the ideal of one govement official who is trying to do good and doesn't have the power or money to sign of on cameras. And knows it's impossible to control the police.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It shows lack of sophistication to just pay others to do your work for you when other more sophisticated methods are available, such as Thailand 4.0.  Use cameras.  They're cheap.  Nobody likes a snitch. 

So if you see a drunk driver and you don't "snitch" on him and he kills people do you see how you are morally guilty for not "snitching"

And God forbid they kill your wife or one of your children......it kinda puts "snitching" in a different light. Like most things it is just your perspective or personal morality. I have no problem getting the morons off the sidewalk and back onto the streets where they can kill each other. You wouldn't ride your Harley down the sidewalk at speed.....or maybe you would? Only you can answer that one.