Thai attitude to fat people

Bigdogfarang

Once they stop calling you "sexy-men" or "hansum-man" and start rubbing your belly instead, you know you are fat.

Don't be shy, this calls for an immediate and fierce "Counter-Attack": "Ten years ago, I see no fat Thai-Lady", now even you are fat". Since this is probably true, by stating this, it will give you "Negotiating-Power".

Perhaps helpful to read a book titled "The Art of a Deal" by a certain Donald J. Trump.:smile:
Cheers.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, akdraw said:

I have very deep skin yet the lady's still call me "hansum-man". Never had a Thai person say anything negative about my weight to my face. Then again I don't speak Thai.

Yeah, they would say it to your face even if you spoke Thai and they knew it...they have no filters in that area, the Thais.

As you get older (over65) a few kg extra are good for you. Get sick of have injury best to have the extra back up to use in fighting what ever the problem is.

Interesting look it up slightly overweight as you get older good, obese no.

Seems the majority of (people) that die here seem to be unusually skinny by western standards.

When I had Dingi Fever that extra weight sure helped in my recovery time.

• Like 1

Being overweight in Thailand doesnt seem to carry the same stigma as the west. There appears to be some fat Thai actors who trade on it, they appear in advertisments and the kaaa-boouing slapstick shows. 

Thai people seem to comment on being fat in the same way as being tall etc.

Pum Pui loosely translates to chubby and cute.

• Like 1

Dont fool yourself guys.  Fat is not considered highly desirable in Thailand.  Fit guys are seen as hansom and skinny as a starved chicken leg is beautiful for girls but that is also changing now to include athletic.  Beauty is skin deep.  Usually the girl rubbing your tummy who you are buying a drink for is thinking of Sukollawat Kanarot or another famous thai actor.  However if you are in the service areas and keep the money flowing they will call you whatever you want  ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife is always going on about the size of my stomach. I choose to not remind her that she has also added 15-20 kilos since we married 26 years ago. Better that way.

Indeed they very seldom seem to loose weight after marying a farang?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Fat

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, chubby is a good translation, fat is rather like "ouen", they even use words like "thoum", meaning barrel. Don't teach Thais that let driving their 10 years old kids a bike is a bad idea, they won't like it, but no problem to tell them that they are fat as (whatever) ..

• Like 2

One of the exs and I spent most of the on the beach where you would see all shapes and sizes. As there were other thais with us they liked to joke about the fat people but the best desciption she made was "farang gin kwai" about a particular protrubing stomach.