UK hopes of EU trade talks this autumn 'will be dashed', says Slovenian PM

webfact

UK hopes of EU trade talks this autumn 'will be dashed', says Slovenian PM

Daniel Boffey in Ljubljana, Heather Stewart and Owen Bowcott

Miro Cerar says after opening talks the two sides are too far apart on citizens’ rights, financial settlement and the Irish border

The British government’s hopes of opening discussions on a future trade relationship this autumn will definitely be dashed by the European Union due to the slow progress of Brexit negotiations, one of 27 prime ministers who will make the decision has said.

Miro Cerar, the prime minister of Slovenia, revealed in an interview with the Guardian that it had proved too difficult to close the differences between the two sides in the opening rounds of talks, with the UK producing some unrealistic proposals.

In October the European council, on which Cerar sits, will decide by unanimity whether sufficient progress has been made on the three key issues of citizens’ rights, the financial settlement and the Irish border, in order for talks to be widened to negotiations over future trade once the UK has left the bloc.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/20/uk-hopes-of-eu-trade-talks-this-autumn-will-be-dashed-says-slovenian-pm

-- The Guardian 2017-08-21

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Miro Cerar, the prime minister of Slovenia, revealed in an interview with the Guardian that it had proved too difficult to close the differences between the two sides in the opening rounds of talks, with the UK producing some unrealistic proposals.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Miro Cerar says after opening talks the two sides are too far apart on citizens’ rights, financial settlement and the Irish border

I'm sure the Slovenian PM is v important within the EU - but ignoring this:-

1) It would be interesting to know the differences between the UK/EU on the Irish border?  Or perhaps I've missed this item of news.

2) We do (I think) know the EU's position on citizens' rights and financial settlement are designed to create problems and provide a great excuse - 'Further negotiations are impossible until these have been agreed'.....

3) AFAIK the UK govt. hasn't responded to the EU threats of negotiations stopping as a result of not immediately accepting the EU's 'stated' position on these unreasonable points?

But its v likely that I've missed out as I haven't been paying too much attention recently.

Personally, I'm v interested to see 'what happens next' - as it will give us a better clue as to the UK govts. intentions.

35 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

1) It would be interesting to know the differences between the UK/EU on the Irish border?  Or perhaps I've missed this item of news.

2) We do (I think) know the EU's position on citizens' rights and financial settlement are designed to create problems and provide a great excuse - 'Further negotiations are impossible until these have been agreed'.....

3) AFAIK the UK govt. hasn't responded to the EU threats of negotiations stopping as a result of not immediately accepting the EU's 'stated' position on these unreasonable points?

But its v likely that I've missed out as I haven't been paying too much attention recently.

Personally, I'm v interested to see 'what happens next' - as it will give us a better clue as to the UK govts. intentions.

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Our future is never in "safe hands" - as we're reliant on politicians....

3 minutes ago, khunken said:

So maybe 'all them EU bureaucrats' weren't so bad after all?

Why on earth would you think I believe EU bureaucrats are better than UK bureaucrats?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

one of 27 prime ministers who will make the decision has said.

That's the issue in a nutshell: the leaders of 27 diverse economies and cultures, each with their own ideas of what they want (out of the departure of one of the largest contributors), and an EU chief negotiator with b_____r-all room to negotiate.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

20 minutes ago, dundee48 said:

Every little pissant country now putting their twopence worth in now that the great cash cow is leaving.

Sour grapes,nothing more.

Yes and all of those 27 countries will decide on the result.  Call it what you like but this has all been brought about by the stupid arrogant way the UK government is going about their so-called "negotiations".

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes and all of those 27 countries will decide on the result.  Call it what you like but this has all been brought about by the stupid arrogant way the UK government is going about their so-called "negotiations".

Really?

Demanding that the UK agrees to how much it will pay in advance  (when it clearly has to be tied up with trade talks....), and that UK rules only apply to Brit. born - but not EU immigrants?

Only one side has been arrogant - the EU.  Hence this topic. 

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really?

Demanding that the UK agrees to how much it will pay in advance  (when it clearly has to be tied up with trade talks....), and that UK rules only apply to Brit. born - but not EU immigrants?

So you think it's all going to plan?  I know we all want a result that will limit the damage and we all have our own opinions about the whole process.  Each EU country has an opinion too and there are 27 of them and only one of us.  Every country has a voice and each countries representative will be pitching for the best outcome for them, just as we are.

I think it is realistic for the EU and the UK to agree a figure first because that will influence what sort of trade deals they will make available to us.  

It seems fair that the UK should only have to negotiate with the countries that were members at the time we joined the EU, sorry EEC. That would cut out the ramblings of leaders of small states with populations only the size of the West Midlands and simplify things a fair bit. It will be bad enough organizing an orderly exit with the original 11, let alone 27 different agendas!

Meanwhile the UK government has announced  that it is to publish more details of its Brexit negotiating plans this week, so I suppose that at least 50% of the 27 will have shot these ideas down in flames by end August! Oh well Rome Brussels wasn't built in a day!    

Edited by nauseus

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really?

There is a 40+ year history to all of this. At every stage - entering the club, staying in the club, and now leaving the club - the Brits have demanded special treatment, with not much more justification than their own sense of self-importance. And now the jackboot is definitely on 27 other feet ... Tough!

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

There is a 40+ year history to all of this. At every stage - entering the club, staying in the club, and now leaving the club - the Brits have demanded special treatment, with not much more justification than their own sense of self-importance. And now the jackboot is definitely on 27 other feet ... Tough!

Another crock.

These petty bureaucrats hold the cards.  I don't like it any more than you do but to walk away would be economic suicide.  You may not care about that but for anyone living in the UK it is their future and their livelihood that would be devastated.  

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

to walk away would be economic suicide.  You may not care about that but for anyone living in the UK it is their future and their livelihood that would be devastated.  

Well, indeed. Sad really.

Will Britain ever be Great again? Maybe, though - at their present rate of progress - unlikely. We'll know in about 20 years.

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Well, indeed. Sad really.

Will Britain ever be Great again? Maybe, though - at their present rate of progress - unlikely. We'll know in about 20 years.

It doesn't have to be like this if people would only wake up and see the damage this is doing.  Politicians are just worried about their credibility and not the end result.

21 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It doesn't have to be like this if people would only wake up and see the damage this is doing.  Politicians are just worried about their credibility and not the end result.

Politicians are elected by The People. They represent The People. If The People don't like them, The People can remove them and elect different representatives proposing different policies ... The People are in charge. It is - ultimately - The People, not the politicians and not those horrible non-people The Bureaucrats, who make the decisions, based - of course - on sound information and rational thought.

It looks like the UK have chosen, without properly knowing or guessing what the consequences could be. That looks like gambling to me.

Now on the negotiations part, I think it will go like this.

-There are about 28 odd hot issues to agree on,

- Each country will have its favourable issue to fight for and win

- So UK will have a favourable outcome on one (1) of these 28 issues and the rest of the EU countries will have a favourable outcome on the other 27 issues.

Quit simple , isn't it?

Edited by ardsong
correct typo

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Unbelievable that some people are still naïve enough to think that 4 large countries and 23 pissant countries could ever agree on anything.

UK bad,EU good,we get it.You lost the vote get over it.

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Little irrelevant countries, like Slovenia, see this as their big chance to grab a few extras. Their power of veto to any deal, as a member state, is the only power they've ever had. They, and others like them, will want to screw somethings out of the EU big boys whilst they've got the chance.

Mrs. Merlel's fast and slow tiers, i.e. making some member states more equal, will neuter them going forward.

13 hours ago, ardsong said:

It looks like the UK have chosen, without properly knowing or guessing what the consequences could be. That looks like gambling to me.

Now on the negotiations part, I think it will go like this.

-There are about 28 odd hot issues to agree on,

- Each country will have its favourable issue to fight for and win

- So UK will have a favourable outcome on one (1) of these 28 issues and the rest of the EU countries will have a favourable outcome on the other 27 issues.

Quit simple , isn't it?

Simpleminded. That's like saying if a political party gets 4 percent of the vote, they're going to win 4 percent of the time.

19 hours ago, dundee48 said:

Every little pissant country now putting their twopence worth in now that the great cash cow is leaving.

Sour grapes,nothing more.

On the lines of 'we want to keep our citizens safe in UK where they can take their families and work and send/bring all that money home and if you stop that we will stamp our feet and throw rice pudding at mommy from our high-chair'

23 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Self importance. Try, the 2nd to largest contributor, plus the oldest established democracy.

image.jpeg