Vegemite

Nemises

I've asked a friend to bring a big jar of Vegemite from OZ to LOS.

The friend is not bringing checked luggage, only carry-on.

Will Aus airport security let Vegemite through it's carry-on X-ray scanners?

Am expecting some interesting responses with this genuine inquiry...hopefully someone knows the answer!

Vegemite should be confiscated as putrid items are not allowed inside the aircraft cabin.
British Marmite is the real deal and available in LOS.

Haha [emoji106]

It's Vegemite only I want thanks....and it's NOT available in my region of Thailand!

25 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Haha emoji106.png

It's Vegemite only I want thanks....and it's NOT available in my region of Thailand!

You must be living a long way out in the sticks. Wasn't available here in Surin when I first arrived here to live 18 months ago (had to bring back jars from BKK) but now available at Lotus in Prasat awa Surin city.

Where do you live ?  Maybe  someone here can send you some locally purchased.

I'm out in the sticks.

Turns out only a very small amount can be taken aboard on a flight out of Oz, so I will stock up when I next visit a larger Thai city or one of those shops aforementioned.

Many thanks to those who have assisted with this.

its in the tops here, no need to have it brought over, although I have brought promite back with me, likewise, if you really want some  pm me and I will grab a jar and send it to you

Edited by seajae

Just now, Gregster said:

Perfect! How long ago did you see it there?

Recent, and have seen stocks there for many months.

Of course it will be a bit pricier than what you may wish to import but, at least you don't have to worry about customs.

May be worth trying in Korat too if your that way.

Not sure what size jar you are looking for but if I remember Tops also had Marmite.   Guess that's a bit like chalk and cheese......

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Big C Udon Thani has loads of it on the same shelf as the Marmite.

This constitutes a serious hazard, Marmite in proximity to Vegemite can spontaneously detonate.

All the Marmite must be removed to our kitchen immediately!

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Vegemite and Marmite are both considered to be gels and would normally be confiscated by airport security if in containers of more than 100ml.

100ml of Vegemite is a weapon of mass-destruction in itself.

Indifferent to either of 'em. However, remember company trip to Berlin where the booked Chinese restaurant had to be changed because of one person's allergy/intolerance to MSG. No problem, until he came down to breakfast next day with his own tub of Marmite. That's MSG in a pot, forget the BS about it being "naturally occurring MSG", still the same compound. I have no problems with MSG either but let's call a spade a spade.

16 hours ago, Gregster said:

Yes you....Eating that type of "food" must surely be a prerequisite of being a TV mod..... as is any Aussie worth his SALT being able to eat Vegemite!

mate, like durian & un chillied papaya salad and dont really like vegemite although very thinly spread on hot buttered toast its not bad(as a kid when bread was delivered by horse and cart I loved butter and vegemite on the  hot crusts), these days I much prefer promite and I even liked the new version of vegemite with cheese but it does make a good broth in winter when added to hot water

On 21/08/2017 at 6:30 PM, Gregster said:

Haha emoji106.png

If you have a Tops or Central you will find they stock vegemite.

Vegemite is quite a bit cheaper than Marmite in Thailand.

If you shop online with Tops, that is also an option.

• 2 months later...

I just came in from the UK yesterday with 2 x vegemite ( for 'er indoors ) and 3 x Bovril (for me ), as it was in checked luggage no problem at all.

So what is my point in this thread you may ask ?

Well, as it's my gf who eats the Vegemite i suggest you man up and switch to Bovril !! :sorry: