British expats in Thailand feeling the misery as the UK pound drops to record low levels.

cyberfarang

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The booze price rise. Apparently he thinks so many expats are alcoholics that any increase in price is going to send them screaming out of LOS.

some wont be able to afford to be alcoholics these days.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Chip are you serious you obviously don't understand other options by UK government who could take to make it fairer,  how come l could buy a house and my daughter & son can't,  that means the present system is wrong it's wrong.

I guess it would better for them if they go out the country and come back as an immigrate and be treated better by the UK establishment.

I understand fully. Its up to me to do with my property as i see fit. Not to look after someone elses kids.

As for your constant immigration rants 99.9%urban myths.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Chip are you serious you obviously don't understand other options by UK government who could take to make it fairer,  how come l could buy a house and my daughter & son can't,  that means the present system is wrong it's wrong.

I guess it would better for them if they go out the country and come back as an immigrate and be treated better by the UK establishment.

I am not in buisness to look after other people only to turn a proit. So you want me to help your kid why dont you sell up and give her the money for a depsit?.

Your constant immigratio rant are at best 99.9% urban myth

5 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I am not in buisness to look after other people only to turn a proit. So you want me to help your kid why dont you sell up and give her the money for a depsit?.

Didn't realize l mentioned immigration but it certainly don't help anything.

You miss the point again l shouldn't have sell my house,  my daughter should be able buy and if l did where am l going live.

What stupid post.

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Give that man a kewpie doll for doing so well. You may believe you`re a self made man and made a success of your life through hard work and determination but sorry it`s not quite like that.

I left school at 15 years of age during the 1960s, no college or University degrees,  and was taken on by a company as an apprentice, it was a job for life. These opportunities are rarely available to young people today.

Paid into a company pension fund. Today these schemes are being eroded and not offering anything close to the great pension deal I received.

I was married in the early 1970s, we were given council accommodation within 3 months, not a hope of young marrieds being allocated local authority housing today unless under extra-ordinary circumstances. 

Bought my first property early 1980s in a London borough for £29000, was given a 100% mortgage. Now that same property is valued at £280000, and if I was starting out and wanting to buy that same property again, not a chance in hell of being able to afford it today.

Could open bank accounts with virtually no questions asked. 6% interest on my UK savings and up to 13% on my Thai savings.

When I sold up in the UK I made a whacking great profit from properties and retired with a good pension, a pension that is government protected should the pension company go bust.

This was all possible because I was lucky enough to have started out during privileged eras, those were times of opportunities, before the corrupt estate agents, banking institutions and companies began ringing the markets, eliminating the competition whereas they set the terms and ensuring the odds are always with the house. For young people today the world has never been a more competitive place. These days companies want 18 year olds on school leavers wages with 50 years experience. True, we are not obliged to help other people`s children, but also take into consideration that it was the system that placed us in our now privileged situations, whereas nowadays it`s an uphill struggle and it is a case of trying to beat the system rather than being able to use it for our own benefits as we could 30 or more years ago.

7 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Give that man a kewpie doll for doing so well. You may believe you`re a self made man and made a success of your life through hard work and determination but sorry it`s not quite like that.

I left school at 15 years of age during the 1960s, no college or University degrees,  and was taken on by a company as an apprentice, it was a job for life. These opportunities are rarely available to young people today.

Paid into a company pension fund. Today these schemes are being eroded and not offering anything close to the great pension deal I received.

I was married in the early 1970s, we were given council accommodation within 3 months, not a hope of young marrieds being allocated local authority housing today unless under extra-ordinary circumstances. 

Bought my first property early 1980s in a London borough for £29000, was given a 100% mortgage. Now that same property is valued at £280000, and if I was starting out and wanting to buy that same property again, not a chance in hell of being able to afford it today.

Could open bank accounts with virtually no questions asked. 6% interest on my UK savings and up to 13% on my Thai savings.

When I sold up in the UK I made a whacking great profit from properties and retired with a good pension, a pension that is government protected should the pension company go bust.

This was all possible because I was lucky enough to have started out during privileged eras, those were times of opportunities, before the corrupt estate agents, banking institutions and companies began ringing the markets, eliminating the competition whereas they set the terms and ensuring the odds are always with the house. For young people today the world has never been a more competitive place. These days companies want 18 year olds on school leavers wages with 50 years experience. True, we are not obliged to help other people`s children, but also take into consideration that it was the system that placed us in our now privileged situations, whereas nowadays it`s an uphill struggle and it is a case of trying to beat the system rather than being able to use it for our own benefits as we could 30 or more years ago.

Best post I have ever seen on thai visa . I will say I started from a council estate with no real prospects or hope, no trades on offer or decent jobs , I'm 37 now and my generation was I believe a lost generation . The only jobs in Britain now is within the service industry which are not high paying and ultra competitive due to the importation of cheap labour which keeps wages at a ridiculously low rate ! Somehow I managed to get a mortgage on a house and now own 1 near london and 2 in America where I have since moved , slowly I have built my porfolio of property and land but to just get on that ladder was the hard part . I look at my son now and seriously can't see how he would be able to get on the property ladder as houses where I live average the 600k mark , the reason is the Chinese have been allowed to buy up everything with cash leaving local kids having to move further and further away from jobs and industry to be able to afford to buy a home . I'm a massive fan of the Thais looking after their own people much like we should of done before you old timers sold

us down the river ?

23 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

a great post, you talk about buying your first house for 29k but that was relative to your earning then,

why dont people in the uk have the balls to speak about imigration being out of control, cheap labour, all thing putting a drain on the uk not just housing, the NHS is at breaking point, when i was a kid you could walk into the doctors no apointment and see your own doctor.

Thatcher selling off council houses, yes many thought is was a great idea at the time but look whats happend now no houses for the young,

not only that but job losses for the maintainence of these houses,

there is many things wrong with the uk and in my eyes the mail one being near out of controle imigration from the EU on others

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Didn't realize l mentioned immigration but it certainly don't help anything.

You miss the point again l shouldn't have sell my house,  my daughter should be able buy and if l did where am l going live.

What stupid post.

Im afraid your spouting the rubish you expect everyone to look after your daughter and your not willing to.

I was brought up with sound advise look after your own first and foremost

When i first boughta house it was 33k a bloody fortune that  we could only aford by working two jobs each. (Illegally in my case wasnt supposed to moonlight). The very same as i outlined about my daughter in this thread. What gets me is the "oh theres no jobs" <deleted> plenty of jobs admited min wage but a job is a job.

I refuse point blank to look after other people offspring by way of reduced rent. Not a chance.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Im afraid your spouting the rubish you expect everyone to look after your daughter and your not willing to.

I was brought up with sound advise look after your own first and foremost

When i first boughta house it was 33k a bloody fortune that  we could only aford by working two jobs each. (Illegally in my case wasnt supposed to moonlight). The very same as i outlined about my daughter in this thread. What gets me is the "oh theres no jobs" <deleted> plenty of jobs admited min wage but a job is a job.

I refuse point blank to look after other people offspring by way of reduced rent. Not a chance.

OK lets just agree to disagree you are not open minded.

Without collateral you are going nowhere in this world.  You will get ripped off by every thief in pinstripes there is.  I watched hard working, ambitious men work as subbies with leased trucks believing they were their own boss. They were hired the truck but the company clawed back all the profits with service clauses which meant every little repair was charged at usury rates.  You need assets, real estate, to take to the bank, not the finance company who love a fool.  Deny the young their chance and fear for the future.

11 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just than God Corbyn is not in power or you would be getting two pounds to the dollar ,

The risk of Corbyn getting elected will affect sterling far more than the Brexit vote expats should note. Expats who are able to should consider hedging far in advance of when such an event appears on the market's radar.

On 9/26/2017 at 2:01 PM, pigeonjake said:

a great post, you talk about buying your first house for 29k but that was relative to your earning then

He said it was 29k in 290k now, the average wage these days is 27k.

I was alive in the early 80s and I don't remember the average wage being 2.7k, so there's a lot more to this huge difference than 'relative to earnings'.

The graph here is interesting - http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/04/house-prices-vs-average-earnings.html

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

20 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

He said it was 29k in 290k now, the average wage these days is 27k.

I was alive in the early 80s and I don't remember the average wage being 2.7k, so there's a lot more to this huge difference than 'relative to earnings'.

The graph here is interesting - http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/04/house-prices-vs-average-earnings.html

well i can only go by my wages,

in 1980 i was fresh out my time as a fully coded pipe welder, ( a good one) worked on most power stations in the uk, and oil refineries, off shore, on shore, getting 500 pounds a week

now 2017 im a certified welding inspector with a diploma in managing welding operations on 450 pound a day and thats in the uk.

when i go abroad its more,

8 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

in 1980 i was fresh out my time as a fully coded pipe welder, ( a good one) worked on most power stations in the uk, and oil refineries, off shore, on shore, getting 500 pounds a week

now 2017 im a certified welding inspector with a diploma in managing welding operations on 450 pound a day and thats in the uk.

Firstly you have a load more experience now, so you'll earn more - it's not an especially fair comparison. It would be more relevant to compare what someone at the level of experience you were in 1980 earns these days against that 500/week you used to.

Secondly that is a 4.5x increase, not a 10x like the house price, which is what my point was :-)

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

8 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

Can you teach us how to weld this sh1 t  roof metal without blowing holes through it. C and box section held together with tacks, no wonder I get a light weight roof.

Edited by nanglong218
bad spelling

1 hour ago, nanglong218 said:

Can you teach us how to weld this sh1 t  roof metal without blowing holes through it. C and box section held together with tacks, no wonder I get a light weight roof.

You can get a bit bigger  gauge steel still not good, 2.5 rods and just be carefull 

3 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

The working class can kiss my arse I've got the foremans job at last. 

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The risk of Corbyn getting elected will affect sterling far more than the Brexit vote expats should note. Expats who are able to should consider hedging far in advance of when such an event appears on the market's radar.

Hedging into what? Gold - dollars - euros - bit coin?

7 hours ago, The manic said:

Hedging into what? Gold - dollars - euros - bit coin?

I think he more likely meant buying Baht as that is what you need to spend here. However you could hedge with something else but that is more of a gamble...

On 9/27/2017 at 9:53 PM, SheungWan said:

Can't see Corbyn making any difference, another elite fat cat, big houses, private schools, massive pensions, never held a proper job in his life. The only good thing about him, he marries Latino women half his age. Bit like us in Thailand, but he likes 'take out'.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Can't see Corbyn making any difference, another elite fat cat, big houses, private schools, massive pensions, never held a proper job in his life. The only good thing about him, he marries Latino women half his age. Bit like us in Thailand, but he likes 'take out'.

Corbyn split from his partner over the issue of private schooling. As for 'Can't see Corbyn making any difference', naive at best.

Edited by SheungWan

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Corbyn split from his partner over the issue of private schooling. As for 'Can't see Corbyn making any difference', naive at best.

He is a big supporter of the current venezulan leader,they are killing rioters who have no food at present,just the type of leader most brits would vote for,being a nation of retards

10 minutes ago, bomber said:

He is a big supporter of the current venezulan leader,they are killing rioters who have no food at present,just the type of leader most brits would vote for,being a nation of retards

Prove it (that Corbyn supports the current Venezualan leader). This is just made up.

Edited by partington

13 minutes ago, bomber said:

He's also a supporter of Islamic terror group and IRA terrorists. His team includes communists and Trotskyist activists who took over in Liverpool in the 80s. THE Momentum group are using SWP tactics to control the party which is why its spouting Spartist, juvenile nonesense.

21 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

This was from 2014, before any of the current incidents you refer to took place, and was  merely a congratulation on being elected, which any politician would say to any other politician in a phone conversation, and not expressing support at all.

Edited by partington