Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think it depends on your personality.  If you're the abrasive type, argumentative, arrogant etc., you're going to get a lot more problems in all areas of life in Thailand. If you're amiable, respectful and grounded, you're probably going to have an easier (and happier) time here. I suspect you are the latter.

Yes, it is easy going here and I enjoy that about Thailand - but would you say that it is like that everyplace? The more easy going, the happier? Though friends back home have told me that people are becoming more abrasive and argumentative.. 

Does this work to positive effect anywhere? [presidents excluded] 

I have been here a long time - I really don't know. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, it is easy going here and I enjoy that about Thailand - but would you say that it is like that everyplace? The more easy going, the happier? Though friends back home have told me that people are becoming more abrasive and argumentative.. 

Does this work to positive effect anywhere? [presidents excluded] 

I have been here a long time - I really don't know. 

From what I see on social media etc., the UK certainly seems to be becoming an angrier place. There are such polarised views on Brexit, terrorism, diversification etc., people are at each other's throats.

I tend to take a breath and step out of the argument if it's obvious the 2 sides can't agree on something. All that anger is bad for your health :smile:

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

From what I see on social media etc., the UK certainly seems to be becoming an angrier place. There are such polarised views on Brexit, terrorism, diversification etc., people are at each other's throats.

I tend to take a breath and step out of the argument if it's obvious the 2 sides can't agree on something. All that anger is bad for your health :smile:

Well, I hear a bit of that from my Brit friends - - but not sure social media is a valid way to judge people - pretty much all of the expats I know here are enjoying life, until I start reading TVF and then the negativity is overwhelming.

But, I guess if I had to live back in the Western World, I might not be too happy either. And yes, stress and anger is surely bad for your health... so is getting older but it probably happens slower with a smile on your face. 

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
On 8/28/2017 at 10:26 PM, champers said:
I took a peek at your profile; OP; and it has your year of birth as 1985. On that basis, you cannot extend a visa for retirement purposes for another 18 years. 
I suggest working as long as you can, putting by as much as you can for retirement.
NB. If in the UK, you cannot buy an annuity until age 55. 

Who buys annuities these days?

I've got 2 good friends who would be doing a lot better had they bought annuities the minute they suspected their wives were gambling away their savings.  Instead, they hoped it was just a phase and lost everything, including their wives.  Had they bought annuities, some of their money would have been out of reach and they'd be doing okay today.  One's still in Thailand, the other had to go back home.

I'm also a good candidate for an annuity since I have a little of the bi-polar (okay, a lot) and tend to start projects on the upside that go into the toilet during the down cycles.  Some are hobbies and no big deal, but some of the business projects have seen me skint.  Fortunately, realizing my limitations, I never put OPM at risk.  Just mine.

I dont think Thailand is so easy going, if its not written in a book .....understand?

Then if you have issues with your wife or TGF ahhh there Thai most dont talk and when they do its about your bad manners....

Everywhere is crowded its just how it is, people traffic equals stalls etc...

Standard of living......not so high unless your prepared to pay western style to get it...

So whats the attraction? best not to cut ties at home just visit or do the 3 months on and off , for most men its the women, then that leads to other things as you should be well aware at your age relationships dont always last so cover your ass.

I've got 2 good friends who would be doing a lot better had they bought annuities the minute they suspected their wives were gambling away their savings.  Instead, they hoped it was just a phase and lost everything, including their wives.  Had they bought annuities, some of their money would have been out of reach and they'd be doing okay today.  One's still in Thailand, the other had to go back home.

I'm also a good candidate for an annuity since I have a little of the bi-polar (okay, a lot) and tend to start projects on the upside that go into the toilet during the down cycles.  Some are hobbies and no big deal, but some of the business projects have seen me skint.  Fortunately, realizing my limitations, I never put OPM at risk.  Just mine.

I agree, although the purchase of annuities is down something like 90+%, for some people having the pension freedom to withdraw the money and run is not good. I guess that will be another future scandal.

Pension freedoms suits someone like me but there needs to be more safeguards. Probably the person themselves needs to know their own risks and faults

No matter who you are; no matter where you live, it is a matter of attitude and quality decision making. Be prepared to adjust to the 'NOW'.

My thinking in my 20s is far from what it is now.

'How important is it.'

Consider your loved ones and especially yourself.

Be realistic. Don't set unrealistic goals as in doing so you are bound not to achieve them.

I will never play guitar as well as Mark Knopfler. In fact, I would prefer to be a listener.

Sport has always been my fortay but due to any injury it is now out of the question. I could be a coach or a 'lounge lizard.'

It is all about priorities and today that is my wife.

I retired here a year and a half ago after I had visited for a year, but I still decided to take it slow. Moved in with gf into a small studio apartment, bought a fridge, a tv and 6 months later a car .
Spent 1 year traveling around Thailand ( did a couple of jobs outside Thailand as well ), decided where I wanted to live and bought a house.
Couldn't be happier right now.

My recommendation would be:
Take it slow, visiting for holidays is not the same as retiring and living here, don't burn any bridges just yet and most important...... enjoy yourself...... Thailand has a lot to offer !!

In response to your post.

1.   I do a 90 day (ish) report in Khampaeng Phet when I go up for a bulk shop. It is no problem for me as I am there anyway.

2.   You only need 800,00 baht in the bank if you cannot produce enough income of 65,000 baht a month. I do it the income way as it is easier.

3.   I have changed Immigration offices this year but for 6 years there was no problem. The new office only want a couple of other bits of paper which I can do easily.

3a.    I cut the grass around the house and do many other jobs and in over 13 years no Thai has been bothered about what I do.

3b.  Of course there are jobs that only Thais can do. They are welcome to those jobs as I don't want to do them.

3c.  Farang are always farang but they are not always in the wrong as you seem to suggest. I have had no problems with the legal systems here but then again I keep my nose clean and don't bother or hassle people.

quote "I am presently in Sri Lanka. It costs me 10.000Rs for a Residential visa or Retirement visa. Which is  100$."

My retirement visa costs me only 1,900 thb a year which is cheaper than Sri Lanka.

I live in my wifes house, work in it and on it and don't have to jump through hoops to do so. I have my own car, 2 motorbikes and I am free to travel where I like in Thailand. It is easy to get about either in the truck, motorbike , long distance busesetc. I have many local Thai friends and quite a few speak English and for those who don't we muddle along in broken Thai and broken English. Again no big problem.

I am happy that you have left Thailand as you were obviously not happy here.

The odd thing is that according to your avatar your location is still in Thailand.

I, OTOH, am quite happy here and intend toi stay until I die when I will live in the spirit house in the front garden.

Excellent post.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I lived and worked in Thailand from the early 1990's, with the exception of a few assignments in other countries, but always based in Thailand and back every three months at that time.   I always had an apartment, even when on overseas assignments.   In the later 90's, I moved back permanently.  

I enjoy Thailand, however, the day I retired, was also the day I left Thailand.   I find it a nice country to visit, and I go back frequently, but I much prefer the convenience and ease of my own country.   

1 hour ago, superglue said:

It takes time to get the full picture.

Do as much research as you can prior to arrival.

Ask questions.

I have been here 14 years. Rural LOS is my home.

Research on the Web and books is all well and good. But does not give a true picture of real life. Reading this forum as we all know would probably put a hell of a lot of people off coming here to live. Whereas another forum on Thailand  i read and look at  wouldnt. There is no substitute to legs on the ground. Come on holiday get around not just the place your thinking of living in. Make your own mind up, of course ask for advise but be gaurded in the advise you seek on Forums. Come with an open mind many of my aquaintances came here with a fixed outlook after reading about women and Thais in general. Your on a hidding to nothing with blinkers on. Yes there are pitfalls yes immigration rules here are a bit OTT. Nothing that with a little planning and a lot of patience and a good book wont cure.

You are your own man do as you feel is right, largley forget about the doom and gloom merchants you will encounter both in real life and on anonymous forums where its easy to be as negative as you like twds other peoples questions. When in reality in real life the same posters are quite happy living here. 

Enjoy Thailand for what it is.

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It is and it might be a cliche but Britain is not what it was when i was young. It just isn't they have destroyed it and followed the yanks by turning it into some sort of PC alternate universe and I don't know many people that are happy there anymore. Thailand has many faults but not enough to make me leave and is the ideal place to die (if you have some coin). Best to wait post 50, set up your investment, get your pensions in order and never trust a Thai and you can have a good life.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Annuities have a place,for people who do NOT have a regular recurring pension, they are a way to essentially buy a pension. A good rule of thumb is that at least 30% of your retirement income should come from some sort of annuity stream, whether that be Social Security, Corporate Pension, or one you have purchased yourself The rest then can be dividends/interest/real estate rents, etc etc, but since those can never be relied upon 100% the annuity stream is your backstop in case of disaster.

If you already have SS or Pension making up at least 30% of retirement income, an annuity is redundant.

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Annuities have a place,for people who do NOT have a regular recurring pension, they are a way to essentially buy a pension. A good rule of thumb is that at least 30% of your retirement income should come from some sort of annuity stream, whether that be Social Security, Corporate Pension, or one you have purchased yourself The rest then can be dividends/interest/real estate rents, etc etc, but since those can never be relied upon 100% the annuity stream is your backstop in case of disaster.

If you already have SS or Pension making up at least 30% of retirement income, an annuity is redundant.

What percent are annuities giving these days... 

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What percent are annuities giving these days... 

It depends on what age you are when you buy it or want it to start paying out. Also depends on whether you want payouts to continue after death to spouse or end upon your demise.

You can play around with this and see:

http://go2income.com/CustomizeYourAnnuity.html

Example: 6.06 % for a monthly payout for a 62 year old with benefits ending at death

Selecting an annuity that's right for you

Edited by tonray

1 hour ago, tonray said:

That 30% rule is great if you have other income streams.  Another way to say that is you should cover 70% of your retirement costs with investment income.  With banks paying 0.XX%, the stock market rigged in favor of the big guys, and banksters looting pension funds every 10 years or so, that's a little difficult for a lot of guys who have spent most of their lives overseas.  Lots of them seem to be scrambling to scrape up the $12,000 or $25,000 to meet the retirement visa requirements.

Annuities may not be paying much of a return, but they're a pretty safe bet that you'll have rent money and enough to eat, even if the wife (or husband) gambles away everything they can get their mitts on today.  Or you don't have the discipline to stick to a budget.  Or have difficulty making the transition from a monthly paycheck to a wad of cash winking at you from a bank book.  Or can't pick a stock to save your life.

Not for everybody, obviously.  But those 2 buddies (from this past year alone) wish they had gone that way.  And I don't mind admitting, I'm a good candidate.

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

It is and it might be a cliche but Britain is not what it was when i was young. It just isn't they have destroyed it and followed the yanks by turning it into some sort of PC alternate universe and I don't know many people that are happy there anymore.

Don't blame the Yanks.  You guys created those Beatles and the Rolling Rocks (or whatever they're called).

14 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I dont think Thailand is so easy going, if its not written in a book .....understand?

Then if you have issues with your wife or TGF ahhh there Thai most dont talk and when they do its about your bad manners....

Standard of living......not so high unless your prepared to pay western style to get it...

So whats the attraction? best not to cut ties at home just visit or do the 3 months on and off , for most men its the women, then that leads to other things as you should be well aware at your age relationships dont always last so cover your ass.

A lot depends on where you live as to whether life is easy going.

Here in rural Thailand a traffic jam may be a couple of minutes on a market day.

Who defines a standard of living? I live on 2 acres in a 4 bedroom house yet back in the UK I lived in a 3 bed semi with a 20 foot square garden.

I tend to make a lot of my western food for myself instead of travelling to a supermarket to buy it. I have my own pickup truck shared with my wife, 2 motor bikes not shared.

I can go almost anywhere I want to in Thailand, city or country and not feel unsafe or threatened by anyone, something I was concerned with back in the UK the last time I went 13 years ago'

I can go out and leave my house empty and unlocked and come back to find nothing has changed.

I am married to a Thai lady and we have a 13year old son and we live a fairly comfortable life at certainly a better standard than the UK.

If you have troubles with your wife/GF here or elsewhere it is just the same. AFAIK Thai people don't talk that much about me and yes I do have quite a few Thai friends. Even if they do talk badly about me it does not matter to me or the people that know me.

Overall in my 24 years working, visiting and living in Thailand I have been far happier than when I lived in the UK.

14 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

So most of that is not obvious before you choose to live somewhere else.

3 months on and 3 months off makes you little more than a regular tourist.

Nothing wrong with that if you want to keep a foot in both camps...... that does suit some people.

I would guess that most people who regularly contribute on here are full time resident.

14 years in LOS - 12 in CNX & 2 in Fang.

CNX deteriorated in my final years there - air & noise pollution plus it has become a serious tourist destination.

Now, in a town of 20k people, it is a pleasure to live each day.

Peak hour traffic - what???

Friendly neighbors whom I trust.

Would I go back to the Gold Coast, Australia??? - 555.

Edited by superglue

It is and it might be a cliche but Britain is not what it was when i was young. It just isn't they have destroyed it and followed the yanks by turning it into some sort of PC alternate universe and I don't know many people that are happy there anymore. Thailand has many faults but not enough to make me leave and is the ideal place to die (if you have some coin). Best to wait post 50, set up your investment, get your pensions in order and never trust a Thai and you can have a good life.
Britain is fine but it does lack one major thing which Thailand has in abundance, I'll let you guess what it is

I don't think that's the case anymore, you know about drawdown? So you don't need an annuity. Plus capital can be used, you can't take it with you. But you can leave behind.

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Britain is fine but it does lack one major thing which Thailand has in abundance, I'll let you guess what it is

Agreed could live without my Durian now

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, tonray said:

I don't think that's the case anymore, you know about drawdown? So you don't need an annuity. Plus capital can be used, you can't take it with you. But you can leave behind.

Drawdown ? What about it makes annuities useless ?

Research on the Web and books is all well and good. But does not give a true picture of real life. Reading this forum as we all know would probably put a hell of a lot of people off coming here to live. Whereas another forum on Thailand  i read and look at  wouldnt. There is no substitute to legs on the ground. Come on holiday get around not just the place your thinking of living in. Make your own mind up, of course ask for advise but be gaurded in the advise you seek on Forums. Come with an open mind many of my aquaintances came here with a fixed outlook after reading about women and Thais in general. Your on a hidding to nothing with blinkers on. Yes there are pitfalls yes immigration rules here are a bit OTT. Nothing that with a little planning and a lot of patience and a good book wont cure.
You are your own man do as you feel is right, largley forget about the doom and gloom merchants you will encounter both in real life and on anonymous forums where its easy to be as negative as you like twds other peoples questions. When in reality in real life the same posters are quite happy living here. 
Enjoy Thailand for what it is.

May I ask which other forum you refer to which is a bit more positive?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app