UK police broke law in case of British backpackers murdered on Koh Tao

webfact

3 hours ago, z42 said:

In a word, diabolical. I maintain that there is not a single piece of evidence in this case that proves beyond any doubt that these Burmese lads currently on death row raped and killed anyone.

As usual, if something is amiss in Thailand, foreigners are blamed! Years ago, someone stole my bag on the beach on Phuket. I went to the Tourist Police. First place they went to investigate, was the location where Burmese immigrants hang out, even though there was no indication that a Burmese was the culprit. They later found the thief (thumbs up for that!): it was a Thai girl, not a foreigner!

Back to this case: if those Burmese lads were the murderers, who killed all the other tourists on Koh Tao??

Edited by StayinThailand2much

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

how can this sort of thing go on in 2017 with DNA and the hole world looking at this case its like being back in the cave men days. unbelievable 

Excuse me please...... but... "...hole world..." ? ? 

RE - UK police broke law in case of British backpackers murdered in Thailand

The good thing is that mistake will trigger the beginning of the end of the death row for those 2 Burmese lads.

Will be interesting to see what kind of compensation they will get beside freedom (if any)... 

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

how can this sort of thing go on in 2017 with DNA and the hole world looking at this case its like being back in the cave men days. unbelievable 

As mentioned before, they are comparable to the FBI, might as well be the CIA. This sure is a big compliment, the 2 biggest screw ups in the world. I am surprised they did not try to start a war over it.

3 hours ago, z42 said:

In a word, diabolical. I maintain that there is not a single piece of evidence in this case that proves beyond any doubt that these Burmese lads currently on death row raped and killed anyone. The evidence presented simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and the fact that the only evidence that was scrutinized (the murder weapon) didn't have any trace of the supposed killers on it, NONE.

This is a fit up, pure and simple, and a horribly constructed one at that. The fact that the phone evidence has been used in such a way (a way that does not prove either rape or murder) then it should be another major piece needed to exonerate the B2. Shame on the UK authorities for their conduct also, an utter disgrace however you spin it.

It appears you overlooked on thing, i.e. the judges will believe the police, because they are honest 555

30 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't get it. 

Isn't there a chance that these 2 are guilty after all?

I have always thought they were.......the doubt set in and escalated when some clowns started name calling the Thai police liars like they always do, every chance they get...........I might have doubted them but I can't except the  phone story which stinks of BS.

Wei Phyo admitted that he found a discarded phone on the beach on the night of the murders and took it home. “The next day we heard about the murders and we were worried it might be related to someone involved in the murders. My friend smashed up the phone and threw it into the undergrowth behind our hut,” he said.

They claimed they went for a swim IN THE RAIN and stumbled upon/found a phone IN THE DARK that just so happened belonged to the girl...They heard about the murders the next day so they smashed the phone up and threw it away to where the police found it. That really does stink of BS

8 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

Would it now be possible for the two guys to sue the UK Government?

That's where this story comes from.  The info comes from a court case in the UK in which they were suing the NCA (and won).

According to the Grauniad article that the OP links to:

On Tuesday, the high court in London found against the NCA – Britain’s version of the FBI – in a case brought by lawyers for Lin and Phyo.

Am I reading this wrong..but the only reason the UK broke the law is because they were given a death sentence. It is not the actual sharing of evidence that was the issue, but the sentence that arose from it, which is against UK law as there is no death sentence in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

They will kill these boys and later someone will confess to these murders and because they confess they will not be given the death penalty. Ironical and sad. 

You mean the usual 500 baht fine and off to the monk-hood for a few months, sounds about right, but I doubt anyone will fess up, that's like saying the Red Bull DH will return to man up, yeh right !

3 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Am I reading this wrong..but the only reason the UK broke the law is because they were given a death sentence. It is not the actual sharing of evidence that was the issue, but the sentence that arose from it, which is against UK law as there is no death sentence in the UK. 

Almost, but not quite, as far as I can tell.  According to the article, where the NCA broke the law was in not "seeking authority from its own directors or Home Office ministers" before sharing the information with Thai authorities in a situation where the death penalty was a possibility and they had not received assurances that the death penalty would not result.  It wasn't the fact that they got the death penalty in the end that made it illegal, it was the fact that even before the court case had started, the death penalty was a possibility that had not been ruled out and so they should have sought authority to share the information.

23 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

I have always thought they were.......the doubt set in and escalated when some clowns started name calling the Thai police liars like they always do, every chance they get...........I might have doubted them but I can't except the  phone story which stinks of BS.

Wei Phyo admitted that he found a discarded phone on the beach on the night of the murders and took it home. “The next day we heard about the murders and we were worried it might be related to someone involved in the murders. My friend smashed up the phone and threw it into the undergrowth behind our hut,” he said.

They claimed they went for a swim IN THE RAIN and stumbled upon/found a phone IN THE DARK that just so happened belonged to the girl...They heard about the murders the next day so they smashed the phone up and threw it away to where the police found it. That really does stink of BS

Sure it does smell of BS, but all one sadly can say is, that they confessed to being in the same area, finding a phone, then panicked when they heard of the murders, thinking the phone could belong to one of the murders.

What should they have done, if they were innocent, take it to the cops, being Burmese and know how the system works here, I for one am a foreigner, would I take it to the cops and say, hey, I found this on the beach last night and yes I was in the same area, or toss it in the drink, tough one, seriously, this is what I call a hot potato, but a DNA sample would have said, guilty or not, anyways that's my view on this.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How can evidence showing where Hannah's phone was, which we know cos she was there, lead to them knowing where the suspects were?

May have had GPS tracking on it, and apparently these guys smashed it and through it in their backyard.

So lets get this straight - according to British Law (and presumably therefore NOT EU law!), it is unlawful to pass information to other countries where there might be a danger that the perpetrators in question could receive the death penalty.

1. Does this apply to all crimes, including terrorism?

2. The UK is prepared to withhold vital evidence and allow the perpetrator of a murderous act to go free and do it again rather than provide information just in case the death penalty is applied!

By the way, I also have severe doubts that the two Burmese men convicted are in fact guilty of the crimes mentioned - here we are just talking about the principle of the matter.

It would make a more credible law if evidence were withheld in cases where the jurisdiction could not be trusted to provide a fair trial.

10 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

So lets get this straight - according to British Law (and presumably therefore NOT EU law!), it is unlawful to pass information to other countries where there might be a danger that the perpetrators in question could receive the death penalty.

1. Does this apply to all crimes, including terrorism?

2. The UK is prepared to withhold vital evidence and allow the perpetrator of a murderous act to go free and do it again rather than provide information just in case the death penalty is applied!

By the way, I also have severe doubts that the two Burmese men convicted are in fact guilty of the crimes mentioned - here we are just talking about the principle of the matter.

It would make a more credible law if evidence were withheld in cases where the jurisdiction could not be trusted to provide a fair trial.

Or the investigating country can agree to waive the death penalty. Same goes for extradition by countries like Canada to death penalty jurisdictions. 

a certain head man son comes up over and over again, in this case, the Thai police should have properly integrated him and his close associates at the time if nothing else to prove his innocents, of course, his close associates  would have been the key to such an investigation after all if he did it he didn't do it on his own so the doubt remains for now.

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

We all never got all evidences and informations to judge about this case. So no one of us can say 100% right that they are scapegoats or the real murders.

Surely the court must be 100% to convict to death. 

I have followed the case from the start - as have others on TVF - and I simply cannot see that the evidence is strong enough, truthful enough or compelling enough to convict.

Most are dismayed at the whole legal saga but what we think is ultimately irrelevant. LOS!!

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On Tuesday, the high court in London found against the NCA – Britain’s version of the FBI – in a case brought by lawyers for Lin and Phyo.

Are these the same worthless, court-appointed lawyers that didn't challenge shonky evidence gathering, couldn't provide proficient court interpreters for the accused and sat on their hands over appeal options?

Or are these different ass-clowns?

3 hours ago, Crash999 said:

Interesting logic. You say there's no evidence but the UK police presented evidence. 

Then you say the UK police presented evidence but phones can't be evidence. Therefore the Burmese should be set free. 

If if I commit murder I want you as my judge! 

With all due respect, the legal standard is "beyond any doubt", or as in the US, "beyond reasonable doubt". Meaning, the evidence has to be overwhelmingly convincing, especially where the death penalty is concerned. So, just presenting evidence is not sufficient for a lawful conviction. the shame of it is, the US has imprisoned and executed innocent persons when racism and corrupt cops/prosecutors were involved, even with our high standards. But DNA science has now freed many others who thus escaped death or ruined lives.