Thailand's former PM Thaksin breaks silence on Twitter

webfact

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice'

For a second I thought he was talking about the war on drugs, launched during his own administration, when thousands were extra judicially killed.

When every single politician, military and government official in a country is so deeply to the bone corrupt, who should you vote for in an election? the ones who seems to be the least corrupt? Or the ones who offer 500 baht for your vote? But then if all of them offer you 500 baht, you just take 500 from all of them and vote with a blindfold?

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Notice how Reuters, AFP, BBC all conveniently fail to mention Thaksin tried to bribe the judges, for which one of his lawyers was convicted and jailed. Just like they forget to mention that he was illegally occupying the position of caretaker PM when he was removed having previously resigned then snatched the job back without any authority, or democracy.

Now they have started forgetting Yingluck was dismissed by a court prior to the 2014 coup.

Makes you wonder.

News media always have and always will tell you what they want you to know and completely disregard the fuller picture. That is why we should be grateful for things like twitter where all can publish their biases freely. We can only ever know the truth as it is presented to us.

19 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

When every single politician, military and government official in a country is so deeply to the bone corrupt, who should you vote for in an election? the ones who seems to be the least corrupt? Or the ones who offer 500 baht for your vote? But then if all of them offer you 500 baht, you just take 500 from all of them and vote with a blindfold?

I'd suggest more research rather than just dig up this old lie. All sides were giving assistance in the form of an allowance for travel etc.  Is it good?  NO  but ALL did it and hopefully it will stop.  I know of people who took the allowance and voted how they wanted anyway, no one looking over their shoulder so it made ZERO difference. Can we move on now as this is about Thaksins apt Twitter feed?

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I'd suggest more research rather than just dig up this old lie. All sides were giving assistance in the form of an allowance for travel etc.  Is it good?  NO  but ALL did it and hopefully it will stop.  I know of people who took the allowance and voted how they wanted anyway, no one looking over their shoulder so it made ZERO difference. Can we move on now as this is about Thaksins apt Twitter feed?

Apt? I don't suppose we can expect him to quote Balzac. That would hit a little too close to home.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime." - Honore de Balzac

Edited by halloween

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

The allegation that vote buying made a difference to elections has long been disproved.I don't however see those who repeat it as liars.First of all these people rely only on their prejudices and bar talk.They never research or read up the literature on the subject.When given references they appear to ignore them.The suggestion they might have to do a little thinking is too much for them.They're not bad people really just akin to the farmyard beasts in Animal Farm who bleat approved orthodoxies in response to the pigs who dominate them.

Just now, jayboy said:

The allegation that vote buying made a difference to elections has long been disproved.I don't however see those who repeat it as liars.First of all these people rely only on their prejudices and bar talk.They never research or read up the literature on the subject.When given references they appear to ignore them.The suggestion they might have to do a little thinking is too much for them.They're not bad people really just akin to the farmyard beasts in Animal Farm who bleat approved orthodoxies in response to the pigs who dominate them.

Quite, on the micro scale. Should we ignore vote-buying on the macro scale with a swathe of unworkable populist policies?

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Apt? I don't suppose we can expect him to quote Balzac. That would hit a little too close to home.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime." - Honore de Balzac

There are many in Thailand who have fortunes far greater than Thaksin - and on the whole I suspect you are right with your generalisation.I cannot off my head think of a single exception.

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I wasn't actually calling the poster a 'liar' but that the notion of vote buying  making a difference WAS a lie. All else you say is spot on as usual.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Quite, on the micro scale. Should we ignore vote-buying on the macro scale with a swathe of unworkable populist policies?

We shouldn't ignore vote buying at all.It should be cracked down on whenever it occurs.

What you and others call populist policies are in fact programmes campaigned for and implemented once a party has received a democratic mandate.The NHS in the UK is a populist policy.In Thailand the elites and their urban middle class acolytes see populism as dangerous because it implies addressing the massive skewing of national wealth towards a minority.

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

We shouldn't ignore vote buying at all.It should be cracked down on whenever it occurs.

What you and others call populist policies are in fact programmes campaigned for and implemented once a party has received a democratic mandate.The NHS in the UK is a populist policy.In Thailand the elites and their urban middle class acolytes see populism as dangerous because it implies addressing the massive skewing of national wealth towards a minority.

The NHS is part of the UK budget and it works. PTP's policies were a unworkable promises to put extra money in everyone's pockets and improve their children's education. At great expense they achieved very little, except win an election. As far as cost benefit goes, it was money for shit.

That may be hard to see from your mansion on the hill, with the clouds blocking the view of us menials in our dingy hovels.

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

The NHS is part of the UK budget and it works. PTP's policies were a unworkable promises to put extra money in everyone's pockets and improve their children's education. At great expense they achieved very little, except win an election. As far as cost benefit goes, it was money for shit.

That may be hard to see from your mansion on the hill, with the clouds blocking the view of us menials in our dingy hovels.

Putting money in peoples pockets and improving childrens' education are centre pieces of every democratic country's politics.If they seem impractical it is for the opposition to point this out.But ultimately it is for the people to mandate their representatives in a fairly conducted election.Some might argue that stupidly high military budgets  are money for shit to use your expression.

By the way the NHS does not "work" and is seriously underfunded and in dire need of reform.To say this in UK is a politician's death wish.Yes sometimes in democracy we must put up with hypocrisies.

28 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Too much inconvenient truth for the junta to bear. Reconciliation has now officially off the table and gloves are off. Just counting the days for his protective shield removed and he become citizen Prayut.

I hope you have a calculator.

19 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Because the poster insinuated 'how could a copper get so much dosh'?  and there is NO known connection so I made that clear in my normal wistful, amusing yet eloquent style   :post-4641-1156694572:

Thaksin married into money. but made millions off no helmut fines. while he was a policeman.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

What do you mean "works"?  I'm an ex-NHS senior hospital manager and if you mean "works" as "free at the point of delivery" than that is accurate but it IS the definition of 'populist policy' and is a god-send for those really sick (and all the free-loaders who fly in for it unfortunately). Doing things that are 'popular' is the business of every government on earth and nothing wrong with it. PTP had good intentions IMHO and we all accept there was mismanagement. Now we have the "I am God" approach and it's getting worse.

20 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Whoa there...!   let's not let a few facts spoil the insinuation huh?

Thaksin founded AIS etc. long before he joined politics (in 1994). He was greedy and unethical, no doubt, but probably the same as every other politician. He also did much good in Thailand, particularly for the poor who love him still. Who else has ever even attempted to help them?  Yingluck and that's about it. Anyway past is past and Thailand needs a new direction neither red nor yellow.

What good did he do?  "NOTHING"

56 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Putting money in peoples pockets and improving childrens' education are centre pieces of every democratic country's politics.If they seem impractical it is for the opposition to point this out.But ultimately it is for the people to mandate their representatives in a fairly conducted election.Some might argue that stupidly high military budgets  are money for shit to use your expression.

By the way the NHS does not "work" and is seriously underfunded and in dire need of reform.To say this in UK is a politician's death wish.Yes sometimes in democracy we must put up with hypocrisies.

They may well be centre pieces, but throwing up unworkable policies ans offering false hope is not. Where are the benefits of the rice scam, or the tablet scam, both very expensive boondoggles. PTP's policies were not designed to benefit the nation, they were designed to get PTP elected and as a vehicle for corruption - and they did both well.

3 minutes ago, ovi1kanobi said:

What good did he do?  "NOTHING"

reserves grew

debt dropped

30 baht health care scheme

employment grew

infant mortality dropped

village funds helped tens of thousands

GDP grew

+++

yea he did "NOTHING"  slam him for his faults (and there are many) not say he did "NOTHING"

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

reserves grew

debt dropped

30 baht health care scheme

employment grew

infant mortality dropped

village funds helped tens of thousands

GDP grew

+++

yea he did "NOTHING"  slam him for his faults (and there are many) not say he did "NOTHING"

In fact he stimulated the entire world economy into a boom. A true financial genius. Good deeds are mitigation of sentence, they don't absolve you of your crimes.

12 minutes ago, halloween said:

In fact he stimulated the entire world economy into a boom. A true financial genius. Good deeds are mitigation of sentence, they don't absolve you of your crimes.

That is true and General Prayut would do well to remember that 'producing' Sec 44 can just as easily be 'reversed' when things change and change they will at some stage. Why not concentrate on the evil amongst us not the past?

19 minutes ago, halloween said:

They may well be centre pieces, but throwing up unworkable policies ans offering false hope is not. Where are the benefits of the rice scam, or the tablet scam, both very expensive boondoggles. PTP's policies were not designed to benefit the nation, they were designed to get PTP elected and as a vehicle for corruption - and they did both well.

The populist measures pioneered by Thaksin were not all flawed which is the reason the Democrats and even the Junta have copied many aspects of them.You are not able to justify the crass contention PTP's policies were not designed to benefit the nation:clearly they were, with the hope that the Thai people would continue to put faith in the party's leadership.Is it not possible for you to hold two ideas in your head at the same time or are we condemn ed to live with your one dimensional cartoonish version of politics? To make it easy for you all democratic politicians wish to expand their influence  by promoting popular policies.If there is dissatisfaction with implementation, the Thai people can vote them out.If the Democrats had been less cowardly,less incompetent and less subservient to the old order, I suspect that is exactly what would have happened.