Red-shirt crackdown: Supreme Court agrees no grounds for suing Abhisit, Suthep

webfact

11 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Shocking and quite frankly unbelieveable. Well on second thoughts not really, it just reinstates the belief that the elites control the NACC. 

Is anyone surprised by the NACC's non neutrality? Oh, someone will surely explain us that it is not true and that the NACC does not apply double standards!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

So the judges you know subscribe to Hammurabi's Code?

OK, now how about the Thai judges that you know?

The judges I know, should have said from transcriptions i read and verdicts i read with reasoning of how they got to a certain sentance. I can assure you they take matters like that into account, when a policeman fires his weapon when someone is 20 meters away with a knife or 2 meter away.. it makes a difference.. So do armed protesters and looking if other options (negotiations that were turned down by the reds) were done first. 

As for Hammurabi, that is a bit old it might have been a bases for law at some time but the judges from now have evolved. 

As for Thai judges I know.. i found those sentencing Boonsong quite honest and good looking at evidence and not judging the rice scam but just the corruption in it. Other Thai judges (mushroom case) I am not impressed by... so it kinda  depends on the judge.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Supreme Court upheld decisions of the Criminal Court and Appeals Court that the Department of Special Investigation had no authority to initiate an investigation against the two officials or to file suit against them.

There... that's BOTH hands tied behind the DSI's back now.

So what exactly is the DSI expected to do when it either stumbles across malfeasance or is alerted to same?

3 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

So they overstepped their authority. Isn't that the same charge the ministers and Mrs T were charged with.

At the end of the day someone gave the order to shoot. 

This is not a red or yellow bashing tweet, but questions as to who gave the order need to be answered. There are 80 families out there that will never have a loved one come home. If the General is to be fair, both sides of politics need to be accountable.

Asking for it is appropriate but expecting fairness or justice in Thailand is a recipe for disappointment and disillusionment 

1 minute ago, realenglish1 said:

Well now you have it The lives of Thais are not as valuable as Rice is 

Abhist not held accountable   with 90 people dead and Yingluck has to flee the country because of Rice

Does this sound a little twisted 

Yes it does sound twisted---most of your post is one sided biased----take off the blinkers and give us a balanced view

2 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Well now you have it The lives of Thais are not as valuable as Rice is 

Abhist not held accountable   with 90 people dead and Yingluck has to flee the country because of Rice

Does this sound a little twisted 

No it doesn't simply because the arch manipulator is the one responsible. It would not have been in the Abhisit government's interest to mow down "90 protestors" (sic). As he took a softer line the game was to make it appear as if he was responsible....spin, spin and yet more spin and the Kwais (including right-wing farangs) swallowed it hook, line and sinker. More fool them for supporting the exiled sociopath.

People are easily taken in by the fake news that surrounded these events. Fact is many of the people who died were not shot by police or military; that armed forces' guns were used can be easily explained by the raids that certain red shirt supporters carried out on military and police stores. You only have to look at the various speeches, evidence (such as u-tube) and so on to see that making martyrs of innocent people was part of the overall Red Shirt strategy. Not a new idea but one that was used here to try and label Abhisit and his cabinet 'murders', whilst avoiding the issue of Thaksin's extra-judicial killings of more than 3000 people during his term in office. Indeed when you organise such a mass occupation and encourage your supporters to violence (of which there is much evidence) then people will die or get hurt as a natural consequence. Only die-hard ideologues supporting the reds refuse to see this and continue to spread the lie about 80 or 90 innocents "being killed on Abhisit's orders" when in fact any dispassionate view would question the truth in such a statement. In these situations it's always best to look behind the headlines. Personally I get fed up of the right-wing myopic farangs who continue to spread these lies on behalf of that would be dictator now resident in Dubai.

Fake news

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Ok Eric. You want to believe Tharit was acting out of a love of justice? Yeah sure. Just like when he refused to investigate Yingluck for perjury as it was ok to lie on oath as long as your're only a witness not the defendant.

And you don't think he's the Shins crony and turned to DSI into a Shin attack dog?

Guess Thaksin's real beef is that he couldn't bribe or intimidate the judges to get himself and his little sister off.

I can conclude you have no evidence to back up your accusation. He wouldn't have to bribe or intimidate if he submit to the establishment. Alas he is not the sort of person unlike Ahbisit. 

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There... that's BOTH hands tied behind the DSI's back now.

So what exactly is the DSI expected to do when it either stumbles across malfeasance or is alerted to same?

This a quite relevant comment. If I understand well, it means that elected governments (the DSI is appointed by the government) are not allowed to initiate an investigation against former or current ministries for what they did while in function. Only committees appointed by the dominant network (i.e. NACC) are allowed to do it.

3 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Total disgrace. unbelieveable, double standards, over 90 people killed, no case. 

However, since this is merely a rejection based upon the agency submitting the case, we can ony hope the NACC will submit their case, after all they did submit a case involving Somchai and Prawit's brother, since Somchai was PM, surely the NACC is authorized to submit such a case. 

If you submit a case for a by comparison minor incident, you cannot ignore this particular bloodshed...

Total disgrace. unbelieveable, double standards, over 90 people killed, no case.

I seem to recall another case where 90 people were killed and the person who ordered it went without punishment, Tak Bai.

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

The judges I know, should have said from transcriptions i read and verdicts i read with reasoning of how they got to a certain sentance. I can assure you they take matters like that into account, when a policeman fires his weapon when someone is 20 meters away with a knife or 2 meter away.. it makes a difference.. So do armed protesters and looking if other options (negotiations that were turned down by the reds) were done first. 

As for Hammurabi, that is a bit old it might have been a bases for law at some time but the judges from now have evolved. 

As for Thai judges I know.. i found those sentencing Boonsong quite honest and good looking at evidence and not judging the rice scam but just the corruption in it. Other Thai judges (mushroom case) I am not impressed by... so it kinda  depends on the judge.

Oh that's new... you saw the evidence that must have been several hundred hours pouring over all that.  

'It kinda depends on the judge' =  depends if I like the outcome

It is Thaksin's SOP to suborn the police with bribes and nepotism. Tarit, the man responsible for lodging the case was fired for having B100 million of assets acquired with no legitimate explanation, and later jailed for two years for demoting a subordinate who objected to his actions.

And yet, we have some here would claim he is a paragon of virtue. So where does a corrupt copper get B100 million while performing as a Thaksin lickspittle?

Edited by halloween

59 minutes ago, candide said:

This a quite relevant comment. If I understand well, it means that elected governments (the DSI is appointed by the government) are not allowed to initiate an investigation against former or current ministries for what they did while in function. Only committees appointed by the dominant network (i.e. NACC) are allowed to do it.

This is the real significance of the ruling.

In essence, the ruling negates ANY police agency (not just the DSI) from either investigating or prosecuting a politician of high enough rank, and since a 'high enough' rank is not specified, it can be applied to whomever is in favour that day.

Note the comment that ANY investigation "would have to be initiated by the NACC".

The court has just given the NACC a 'get out of jail free' card to hand out to anyone they like.

Thai "justice" is a slimy, venomous thing.

Edited by Samui Bodoh

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

So they overstepped their authority. Isn't that the same charge the ministers and Mrs T were charged with.

At the end of the day someone gave the order to shoot. 

This is not a red or yellow bashing tweet, but questions as to who gave the order need to be answered. There are 80 families out there that will never have a loved one come home. If the General is to be fair, both sides of politics need to be accountable.

If the General is to be fair

Well, that's the problem. As long the 2 clans are fighting for power and influence the ruling one will determine what is law and what is justice.

1 hour ago, candide said:

The DSI is appointed by the government? Where did you get that diamond?

"The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is a department of the Ministry of Justice of Thailand. It operates independently of the Royal Thai Police and is tasked with the investigation of certain "special cases". These include complex criminal cases, those affecting national security, those involving organised criminal organisations and those potentially implicating high-ranking government officials or police officers.

The DSI is often referred to as Thailand's counterpart to the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).[1] Since its inception, the DSI has seen conflicts with the police over jurisdiction and authority over cases, and department officials have publicly expressed concern that the department's work has been consistently subject to political interference.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Special_Investigation

44 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I seem to recall another case where 90 people were killed and the person who ordered it went without punishment, Tak Bai.

I wonder what you are trying to suggest.Thaksin was PM at the time, made some ugly insensitive remarks and must take responsibility as PM.Surayud later apologised for Thaksin's policies in the South.But Thaksin did not order the massacre.He was not even aware of it until later.

The senior military officers who were responsible were absolved of all guilt in a 2009 military enquiry later endorsed by the Supreme Court."They were simply doing their duty".Family appeals were denied.

As usual the military was shown to be unaccountable.I doubt there was any order to kill even by them - just stupidity and cruelty.

10 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion the violence that occurred was TOTALLY caused by the redshirt thugs, and Abhisit was far too lenient in dealing with this bunch of paid trouble makers.

Yes and the red shirts shot and killed their own people with bullets from the military. 

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Yes and the red shirts shot and killed their own people with bullets from the military. 

I agree, and some they brought themselves, as well as explosive ordnance including M-79s, RPGs, grenades and car bombs.

9 minutes ago, halloween said:

It is Thaksin's SOP to suborn the police with bribes and nepotism. Tarit, the man responsible for lodging the case was fired for having B100 million of assets acquired with no legitimate explanation, and later jailed for two years for demoting a subordinate who objected to his actions.

And yet, we have some here would claim he is a paragon of virtue. So where does a corrupt copper get B100 million while performing as a Thaksin lickspittle?

He was a lickspittle to anyone in power.As you say its always odd when public officials - generals, bureaucrats, policemen acquire vast fortunes on the basis of tiny salaries.There are some interesting examples to ponder right now - though of course you never will.

Just now, jayboy said:

He was a lickspittle to anyone in power.As you say its always odd when public officials - generals, bureaucrats, policemen acquire vast fortunes on the basis of tiny salaries.There are some interesting examples to ponder right now - though of course you never will.

But, but but, isn't that business as usual, or do you only make that exception for Shinawatras? Haven't you claimed that a corrupt policeman who went from B50 million in debt to billionaire through one corrupt transaction is not a criminal?

He knew he was getting off Look at his face His face just said i just got away with murder Hehe. Often wonder what the verdict would of been if the Prime Minister of that time was a red shirt and ordered the crackdown of anti government protesters The law is the biggest joke here Whats 90 lives They are buried and forgotten