Knife-wielding Phuket tuk-tuk driver fined B500, more charges may follow

webfact

Knife-wielding Phuket tuk-tuk driver fined B500, more charges may follow

The Phuket News

1504235037_1-org.jpg

Pannawich Nakamin, 35, admitted that he is a man seen in the video. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: -- Patong Police yesterday (Aug 31) arrested and fined a tuk-tuk driver who caught on video brandishing a large knife in front of a Patong Hotel.

The arrest was made after the video clips started to circulate on social media.

Patong Police Chief Col Tassanai Orarigadech told The Phuket News today (Sept 1), “Yesterday I ordered a team of investigators to look for this tuk-tuk driver urgently.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/knife-wielding-phuket-tuk-tuk-driver-fined-b500-more-charges-may-follow-63699.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-01

Admits it was him,,, gets a 500THB fine. Why a pixelated face if guilty?

Probably trawling the sois now looking for more tourists.

Should have had his tuk-tuk crushed.

Seems to be a recent surge of armed motorists throughout the Kingdom nowadays or people willing to brandish weapons.

Edited by james.d

"I am still looking for the tourists involved as I want to hear their side of the story,” he added." Police chief from the main full story;;

This is this is where things start to fall down; the tourist :

a--has just been threatened with a knife

b-- does not trust the Thai police for probably a host of good reasons

C--does not speak the language;

They just want to get the heck out;

So,....... multiply this scenario by many ,many similar scenarios and you might get what the actual crime rate is in Thailand as applied to tourists

I have to wonder whether the police would have taken action if the video had been sent directly to them, as opposed to being circulated on social media. Would give some insight into police priorities - protection of innocent people versus protection of "image".

I'm also wondering about the 400 baht fare charged the foreign tourists. I thought that there was some sort of officially approved rate of 200 baht for rides within Patong. So not only was the driver admittedly gouging the tourists, he also threatened them with bodily injury when they refused to pay this prohibited, ridiculous  fare.

30 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

The Police are sending a very bad message to their true income stream - tourists.

Riding without , specifically , a Thai license  or ITP , now incurs a fine of 500 baht.

Which offense is more serious ?

It's much easier to hussle money off the tourists. Best not tangle with an angry and protected Tuk Tuk maniac.

Brandishes a deadly weapon, receives an ineffective fine on a charge which is less than a girl who gets her norks out on Facebook... and to top it off is permitted to continue working in the public arena...

The BiB are so ineffective at protecting the public and preventing future issues - its astonishing to anyone with any intellect how lazy and careless those who make these decisions are.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:24 PM, zaZa9 said:

The Police are sending a very bad message to their true income stream - tourists.

Riding without , specifically , a Thai license  or ITP , now incurs a fine of 500 baht.

Which offense is more serious ?

So if one uses a driver's license fro the UK, for example, one now gets a 500 Baht fine?

12 minutes ago, SABloke said:

So if one uses a driver's license fro the UK, for example, one now gets a 500 Baht fine?

Whether a UK licence is legal in Thailand has been debated to death in many previous topics. I am in the camp that says it is legal, mind you when my son visited us I advised him to get an IDP to support his UK DL, just in case.

Where some tourist bike drivers are not legal if there UK DL is not endorsed for motor bike  use. Not sure the BiB are clever enough to notice this. 

Whether a UK licence is legal in Thailand has been debated to death in many previous topics. I am in the camp that says it is legal, mind you when my son visited us I advised him to get an IDP to support his UK DL, just in case.

Where some tourist bike drivers are not legal if there UK DL is not endorsed for motor bike  use. Not sure the BiB are clever enough to notice this. 

Thanks, I have used my license for years hiring cars and doing test drives etc. all over Thailand (except Phuket).

I shall be doing so for the first time next month in Phuket and so the post jumped out of me - I'll jusf take my normal license as normal though (always thought IDP was for people with license issued in a foreign language).

21 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

At Nai Harn there is some crusty old English bum licker who stands with and  "advises" the BiB on what is passable and what is not. ( There is a crusty old Queensland ex cop  around there does the same apparently , but I never met him.)

I was scooting with an Australian friend from Kata down in to NH.

When we approached  a road block , he was with the cops there and he said , "Do you have a valid license ?" to us both.

I answered "Mee" , and was immediately told to pass thru the block , so he assumed correctly I had a Thai license.

My friend said he had an IDP.

B. Licker asked to see it. He said . "Go over there and pay the fine ,.. the second box permitting you to ride a scooter is not endorsed."

My friend showed  him his Australian bike license but that was met with a glance and shake of the head.

There must have been 50 tourists in a line waiting to pay.

My friend was charged 400 baht for some reason , and a receipt issued.

I live in Kamala and an IDP is enough...

On 9/1/2017 at 10:28 AM, james.d said:

Seems to be a recent surge of armed motorists throughout the Kingdom nowadays or people willing to brandish weapons.

Don't think there's much more. 

Just more cameras and social media accounts.

Jungle rules with weapons have always been a hair's breadth away with the Thai.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, zaZa9 said:

Not quite.........they get a few thousand baht per month from each tuk tuk (was told by the wife of a tuk tuk driver that it was 10,000 baht, but that seems high, more like 5000?).

So they are protecting their true income stream!