Immigration clarifies retirement visa rules

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past, The Phuket News understands, some wives were allowed “follower” extensions even though the bank account used to back the application was a joint on and contained only B800,000. From now on the “joint account = B1.6 million” rule will be applied with no exceptions.

It seems Phuket news want to create some more confusion, because it is clearly stated above that a follower doesn't need to show any money, so no need for 1.6 million.

For couples where one spouse (usually the husband) applies for a Non-Immigrant visa one-year extension, the wife (whether she is over or under 50 years of age) may receive a “follower” permit to stay in Thailand without having to show income or a specific amount in a bank account.
Edited by PeterSmiles
  • Like 1

This is what he said...Then got told to LOSE FACE and correct his big mistakes...

He created this mess with threats about FAKE MARRIAGES and ASEAN nations...all lies.

Lt Col Napat has confirmed that retired foreign couples must each show

evidence of 800,000 baht in their bank accounts. Photo: Phuket Gazette

This topic was continued from here

PHUKET:  -- Phuket Immigration has vowed to become stricter in its enforcement of retirement visas for married couples by upholding a law that came into effect in November 2008.

The law states that foreign retired couples must each show evidence of 800,000 baht in their bank accounts in order to apply for or renew retirement visas, Phuket Immigration Inspector Napat Nusen confirmed for the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

“This regulation has actually been in effect since November 2008, but has sometimes been misinterpreted by applicants and by our staff,” Lt Col Napat said. “We will start to enforce the requirements more strictly from now on.”

The misunderstandings may stem from the way the regulation is worded, Lt Col Napat said.

“The rule uses the phrase ‘50 per cent per person’ to refer to the amount in the bank account, and this may have led people to believe that each person needed only 400,000 baht,” Lt Col Napat said.

“In fact, they must each show evidence of 800,000 baht in the bank. That means that if they have a joint account, it must show a balance of at least 1.6 million baht,” he explained.

This is what he said...Then got told to LOSE FACE and correct his big mistakes...

He created this mess with threats about FAKE MARRIAGES and ASEAN nations...all lies.

Lt Col Napat has confirmed that retired foreign couples must each show

evidence of 800,000 baht in their bank accounts. Photo: Phuket Gazette

This topic was continued from here

PHUKET: -- Phuket Immigration has vowed to become stricter in its enforcement of retirement visas for married couples by upholding a law that came into effect in November 2008.

The law states that foreign retired couples must each show evidence of 800,000 baht in their bank accounts in order to apply for or renew retirement visas, Phuket Immigration Inspector Napat Nusen confirmed for the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

“This regulation has actually been in effect since November 2008, but has sometimes been misinterpreted by applicants and by our staff,” Lt Col Napat said. “We will start to enforce the requirements more strictly from now on.”

The misunderstandings may stem from the way the regulation is worded, Lt Col Napat said.

“The rule uses the phrase ‘50 per cent per person’ to refer to the amount in the bank account, and this may have led people to believe that each person needed only 400,000 baht,” Lt Col Napat said.

“In fact, they must each show evidence of 800,000 baht in the bank. That means that if they have a joint account, it must show a balance of at least 1.6 million baht,” he explained.

Don't think there ever was a mistake. The rules were and are clear and have not changed. Funds in your own personal account(s) is what and has always been considered when processing such a request for such extensions. If some liberterian doesn't want to be considered as a 'follower' in a foreign land then they should (quite rightly) put up or shut up.

Nothing nore than confusion caused by poor reporting and/or folks with an agenda of their own.

The person responsible for (official Thai) interpretation has spoken and confirmed this.

Thailand (a sovereign nation) is in Asia and doesn't have to proscibe to western values and idiosyncracies if there is no benefit to Thailand or it's people.

Jerry

• Like 1

Jerry...

Spending millions of dollars by farang 100% helps Thai people.

Don't try to be Thaier-than Thai with your backing up the Lt. Col.

He accused us of lying about being/staying married and used ASEAN as an excuse.

Know all the facts.

• Like 1

Jerry...

Spending millions of dollars by farang 100% helps Thai people.

Don't try to be Thaier-than Thai with your backing up the Lt. Col.

He accused us of lying about being/staying married and used ASEAN as an excuse.

Know all the facts.

"Spending millions of dollars by farang 100% helps Thai people."

In the same way that I "help" eBay or Amazon when I spend money there or I "help" the US government when I pay my taxes. I'm paying for what I want or for what I'm obliged by law to pay. And as is true with Amazon or eBay, if I don't pay then I won't get anything from them. If I don't pay my taxes, I'll get a lot of what I don't want.

It's contributing to the Thai economy, which is why the government wants to ensure they have money to spend if they're staying here. If you have the money, all is fine and good, but you still play by their rules. If not, you won't be missed that much. Farang may spend millions of $ in total, but as an individual you aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

If you have a joint account you need 2 x Baht 800,000 in the account. If the man applies for a retirement extension based on bank balance of Baht 800,000, it must be in account with his name only. If they both want their own retirement extension, one way or another they must show 2 x 800,000 in the bank or 2 x Baht 65,000 in income per month.

Any confusion was caused by the newspaper, which was talking about applying for retirement visas at Immigrations. No one applies for retirement visas at Immigrations. This time around they seem to realize it's extensions that people would be apply for.

But they've also ignored the combination of bank balance and income affidavit, and stated; 'Applicants, whatever the approach they take, must be able to show that the money has been in the account or accounts for at least two months for the first extension application, and for three months for subsequent applications, backed by a letter of confirmation from the bank."

If they kept to quoting the officer without throwing in their own spin, there would be less confusion. Obviously the two or three month rules wouldn't apply if they were using the income approach and it shouldn't apply if they're using the combination method. The newspaper is just feeding further confusion.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

A nonsensical post and a reply to it removed.

why should a retired couple both apply for a retirement visa each with the above mentioned problems? nonsensical!

why do they use a joint account which even doubles the problems from B800,000 to 1.6 millions? nonsensical!

solutions: only one of them applies for retirement visa, the other one for a follower visa. THATs sensible, pragmatic & easier

they both can have as many bank accounts as they wish, eg one personal account each PLUS a joint account if needed

sounds reasonable & NOT in the slightest "nonsensical" if you don't wanna slight someone

• Like 1

For my self it is perfectly clear. the original release said nothing about the wife being a follower. This post is crystal clear.

For my self I have a Thai wife and stay clear of the marriage one.

Not sure what all the talk is here as the article is clear.

• Like 2

So it was a storm in a teacup. They were just arguing that the person applying for the extension should have 800k in his own name, not shared with anyone else in a joint account, even if that person was also applying for an extension as a dependent. Legally that is a perfectly defensible argument, since joint owners own 50% of the assets each, even though the implementation may be somewhat obtuse.

• Like 2

IMMIGRATION CLARIFIES!

Many of you will remember 2006, the last time the military made a change. People not only her in Pattaya running around themselves with all sorts of questions, this including the Immigration officers themselves.I spent one month on the interpretation, also visiting the main Nationale office in Bankok, this including a few Embassies equipped with so named law experts, not that many of them! With years of international legal experiencebehind me, I wrote what I felt the new regulation's ment, and four languages. When finished, I gave 200 x 4 for free to Pattaya Immigration. In the weeks to follow, I read my text in all local newspapers, and in the most suitable out of the four languages. Not only that, did I not also see (not in my name!) - presentations on the local TC-station. Several Immigration officers became very popular as, they, being invited to give presentations in all sorts of ex patand, Rotary clubs as well answering "my findings." (My be I should not forget that my gifts became subject to far more copying, as the four pages became up for sale for only THB 500, - but sorry, and this as I had forgotten my royalty. ;)

I guess they realised that a combined income of 130,000 baht a month for a retired couple, is rather steep.

And like in 2008 received many rumours of farang couples having to leave the country.

Because a 3000+ euro pension per month is quite steep.

Like the former governor of Khon Kaen declared 2 years ago:

It is time the central government is going to realise the western expats bring in quite a lot of money.

In fact, millions and millions of foreign currency.

They also bring better lives to a lot of people in Isan because of spending in the local economy.

Not only that they bring a better knowledge of the English language to many people in Isan.

We need that.

Please, western people, tell your landsmen to come to Khon Kaen.

We need more foreigners!

They are welcome.

I agree 100%,

Really do not now where the Government comes up with these figures, but they are doing more harm than good..... Issan is a whole different world, it is not Bangkok or Phuket....... Maybe the government should leave this up to the states??? Just a thought... Thailand needs to get something together in my opinion.... Generally many retirees that live there contribute much......

Good post......clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif kilosierra

Hmm..so if you are a Muslim with 7 wives and have joint account with some of them and then some of the wives has joint accounts between themselves, how does this affect the regulations?

Moreover you have several children of which some have joint accounts with you, some have joint accounts with somebody else and then.....and then....

What happens if you have a joint account with a male retiree friend?

Hmm..so if you are a Muslim with 7 wives and have joint account with some of them and then some of the wives has joint accounts between themselves, how does this affect the regulations?

Moreover you have several children of which some have joint accounts with you, some have joint accounts with somebody else and then.....and then....

What happens if you have a joint account with a male retiree friend?

Not a problem if you have 1,600,000 baht in it.

I don't know how they can make it any clearer.

Joint account 1,600,000 baht

single account 800,000 baht

• Like 2