Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Try Canesten. Gentle but effective.

That's Clotrimazole 10 percent in a cream I assume compared to 1 percent in the powder sold at Boots. Another indication that the powder might not really be a full power TREATMENT product. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's Fungus-Related, there is hope: If it's something that the average run of the mill fungus doesn't like, its Ultraviolet Radiation (sunshine) and dry surroundings.

Remedy: Take newspaper or i-pad and head for the balcony. Expose your lower body to sunshine. Increase daily exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation (sunshine) by 10 minute increments. (Thus avoiding sunburn).

- After 3 weeks, fungies will have died of a natural death. Leaving the patient "fungus-free" with the benefit of having a nice tan below the belt. It works, as long it's a fungal matter.

As successful and as low cost this therapy may be, the patient may have to explain to co-inhabitants of the Condo-Complex (the balcony), and possibly Chair-Rentors down at the beach, that his partial nudity (below the belt) is strictly part of a medical treatment.  :saai:
Cheers. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's Clotrimazole 10 percent in a cream I assume compared to 1 percent in the powder sold at Boots. Another indication that the powder might not really be a full power TREATMENT product. 

Canesten cream is a 1% concentration also.  It states 1 gram clotrimazole in 100 grams cream. 

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So you don't wipe you arse either, or brush you teeth?  

Nature is not hygienic.  Look at the street dogs... they never have a soap wash.. all natural..  and they STINK.  You want to smell like that... please stay away from the general public.

I use water to wash my backside; probably the same as you do. As for brushing my teeth; I do accasionally. I use my own mouthwash and have a dental clean regularly.

Nature is far more hygenic than man! Street dogs have been domesticated from wild dogs or wolves. they are not equipted for the modern life without a human to care for them. That's why they struggle.

Vicious and cruel nature can be but it's human intervention and descruction that makes it look dirty.

As for sweaty armpits; go read a couple of my posts and you will read that I advocate wshing regulary. Hair doesn't make you smell. All those NK marching ladies all have underarm hair; lovely!!

Edited by owl sees all

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks as usual Sheryl for your well regarded information here on the health forum.

In response --

There is an antifungal powder that I saw sold at Boots. Also mentioned here as being sold at Big C I think. But I'm wondering if it's just a maintenance powder or strong enough to treat an acute case (as I have).

The product is 

Clotrimazole Dusting Powder

1 percent

At Boots, it's sold in the regular part of the store, not at the medications counter. Adding to my confusion about whether it would be as good for acute treatment of fungus as something like Lamisil cream.

Cotton pads? Specifically pads or would standard cotton balls do?

Thanks again. 

By cotton pad I meant cotton ball.

Clotrimazole 1% dusting powder should certainly do the trick in preventing reccurrence. What is the brand name of this?

Lamisil is usually used for toe/fingernail fungus, not skin. Usual treatment for skin fungus is clotrimazole though the older mycostatrin also works well. Actualy, simple gential violet also works very well but is messy.

There are systemic antifungals that can be taken in severe cases  (e.g. fluconazole) but these are best taken under medical advice.

58 minutes ago, Saladin said:

But you only need take them for a day or two

A day or two could be a problem if your liver is already stressed. Nobody should do that without a doctor taking a medical history of conditions and other medications taken. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

By cotton pad I meant cotton ball.

Clotrimazole 1% dusting powder should certainly do the trick in preventing reccurrence. What is the brand name of this?

Lamisil is usually used for toe/fingernail fungus, not skin. Usual treatment for skin fungus is clotrimazole though the older mycostatrin also works well. Actualy, simple gential violet also works very well but is messy.

There are systemic antifungals that can be taken in severe cases  (e.g. fluconazole) but these are best taken under medical advice.

Mycoderm C Dusting Powder (Clotrimazole 1%) sold at Boots and elsewhere.

Based on this website, for athletes foot / jock itch it's more of a preventative than a treatment of an acute case. So I guess my question is well answered now about that product

http://www.medsplan.com/DrugsDetailsPage/MYCODERM-C-1--DUSTING-POWDER-100G/Clotrimazole

Prevention of athletes foot and ringworm disease of skin folds

13 hours ago, swissie said:

If it's Fungus-Related, there is hope: If it's something that the average run of the mill fungus doesn't like, its Ultraviolet Radiation (sunshine) and dry surroundings.

Remedy: Take newspaper or i-pad and head for the balcony. Expose your lower body to sunshine. Increase daily exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation (sunshine) by 10 minute increments. (Thus avoiding sunburn).

- After 3 weeks, fungies will have died of a natural death. Leaving the patient "fungus-free" with the benefit of having a nice tan below the belt. It works, as long it's a fungal matter.

As successful and as low cost this therapy may be, the patient may have to explain to co-inhabitants of the Condo-Complex (the balcony), and possibly Chair-Rentors down at the beach, that his partial nudity (below the belt) is strictly part of a medical treatment.  :saai:
Cheers. 

Fantastic, you made me laugh, but, you could be on to something.

4 hours ago, eddysmit said:

Perhaps one day you will have a problem that you would like to discuss, no need to read the comments if not your 'cup of tea'.

now, now, a little humour shouldn't upset you, don't be so negative, relax and accept the fact that your crotch is rotting away, you have other qualities no doubt.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:18 PM, jak2002003 said:

I have a 100 percent quick and easy cure.   Your itch will be gone in a few minutes time, and the red skin and irritation will be greatly reduced after a couple of days and gone after about a week. Works anywhere on your body.

Simply buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  

Shower as normal and dry yourself... then pour some of the rubbing alcohol onto a cotton bud or tissue.  Then clean the affected areas with it.  It will work for the fungus.. which I think you have, and it will also kill bacteria.  It is also safe and won't damage you skin.  

It will STING like its burning the first time you apply it.... you will have tears in your eyes, but it only lasts a few moments.  No need to clean off the alcohol.. it will evaporate in seconds.  

Apply the alcohol several times a day.. whenever you feel the itch returning.  After 2 or 3 applications it won't sting anymore as your skin will have healed.  Apply after each shower, and when you go to bed after showering are most important times.  

After a couple days you won't have any itch at all....  but keep applying the alcohol at least 3 times a day for about 7 - 10 days. 

I guarantee this is a fail safe cure and it works really quick.  I had athletes foot under my little toe for years on and off... and tried dozens of creams and powders.  I am a very clean person and did not even wear socks and shoes often.. so it was strange I could not get rid of it. Sometimes it was really painful and split the skin deep and bled.    Eventually it spread to my crotch area and was very itchy.  I tried creams but it make it worse.. as it kept it moist, or sometimes it got better, but not 100 percent and then it came back weeks later.  I researched and found the rubbing alcohol thing.. was very sceptical, but I was amazed how quickly it worked and I now have no fungus or itching anywhere.. even my little toe.. for well over a year

Give it a try!!!  

I tried it and it works.Thanks.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2560 at 4:27 PM, Jingthing said:

Not sure what you mean by air dryers. I have fans but drying with them doesn't seem fast or complete and a hair dryer which is HOT. Of course the hair dryer works well and fast but it seems to me that such heat there would be an irritant especially if the area is already inflamed. 

Why don't you just disconnect the heat element from the hair dryer and just use the air from the fan?

As many others, I keep it at bay in the crotch by dusting with athlete's foot powder after showering and if a little itchy at night. If it gets a bit of a hold and going red then I use a Thai equivalent to Canestan which is steroidal. All I wear indoors are loose fitting boxer type shorts and wear nothing for sleep. I think the hot nights are the worst for it so dont skimp on the aircon while sleeping and always wash and dry 'down there' after sex.

You have my sympathy and I really hope u find a solution soon.

Edited by SunsetT

I got this PM which seems to be suggesting that I paste it here. So I will. It is NOT my writing. 

Re your post (that for some reason I cannot comment on) you will find a permanent cure by using Canesten HC, not regular Canesten. It contains hydrocortisone and should be applied two or three times a day to the cleaned infected areas. It's not quick but some improvements should be noticed within three or four days. Application should be continued for a week or so after all symptoms are gone. The whole process will take about a month. Small regular applications are more important than irregular over applications. In other words don't slap it on thick and then forget about it for 24 hours.

Canesten HC is not normally available over the counter at regular pharmacies, a good hospital pharmacy may have it or can order it for you. Go to google images for Canesten HC and take a screenshot to help convince the pharmacist that it does actually exist. It's a little known medicine and not in general use.

The cause of the problem should be considered and I would suggest that laundry detergent, rinsing and fabric softener may play some part in proceedings. Heavily perfumed products should be avoided for underwear and thorough rinsing to remove all detergents is a must. At no time should deodorant be used in the infect-able areas and of course good personal hygiene is vital.

Please feel free to cut and paste this onto your thread as I'm unable to post at the moment. I am fully confident that this information will resolve your uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing condition, it may also help others in the same situation.

Edited by Jingthing

I am going through the same thing. Today, the Dermatologist added ECOSONE ointment twice daily as well as the previous Elomet ointment at night in combination. Seems a bit better tonight.

When I did use normal talc, it was a bad move. The medicated itch talc did seem ok (as above) but only in the early stages. Another dermatologist told me TWICE to avoid powders because the yeast or ringworm "Likes" the starch.

I visited the pharmacy today in Big C Marina Pattaya.

There were  TWO full rows of different antifungals, and antifungal combinations. 

I was joking with the pharmacist about how "very popular" antifungals are. 

She agreed, "very popular" in Thailand. 

An update on where I think I'm at.

Yes, I tried Daktarin cream (simple antifungal with active ingredient miconazole) for a long time but now I think there may have been  a good bit of "user error" in the process.

Even then the condition did improve but it was not cleared, so I quit.

Then I tried not pure aloe vera and that was a big mistake. 

The area got very inflamed, very quickly. 

So stopped that and did decide to do two days of a basic steroid cream and also zinc oxide.

That seems to have calmed the situation down considerably.

The area is still RED, somewhat inflamed, with some but not much itching.

From my POV based on too much googling, my most likely choices now are between three options:

Another simple antifungal course, with more care this time. Using a different antifungal active ingredient this time. 

An antifungal mixed with a steroid, such as Canestin HC which I haven't seen anywhere but I have seen another brand with the same ingredients. 

An antifungal mixed with a steroid and an antibacterial (Quadriderm)

I was about to start the the last one (Quadriderm) but I'm reading some links strongly cautioning against using steroids in the groin area at all due to the nature of the skin there. Yes I did two days but that's nothing compared to the recommended Quadriderm course for jock itch, two weeks to a month. Also, how do I know I need an antibacterial at all? Answer ... I don't.

So I'm going to try a more conservative next step.

Lamisil DERMGEL (not cream) which is meant to be used only once daily for no longer than ONE WEEK.

In the U.S. Lamisil SPRAY is marketed heavily for jock itch because it's more convenient to apply in those areas. Sadly, not sold in Thailand. 

So I'll know after the week if it worked. If it doesn't, well no need to go there YET.

I know Sheryl didn't think much of  Lamisil for jock itch, but my research indicates differently.

If this choice is "wrong" I don't see a big downside.

https://www.drugs.com/cons/lamisil-dermgel-topical.html

Edited by Jingthing

The link for the Lamisil Dermgel doesn't say use for only one week but the enclosed instructions do. Hmm.

Reviews at Amazon. Some people were pissed because they shipped it from Thailand ordering gel and got cream in error, but the people that got the gel really seemed to mostly like it a lot. 

https://www.amazon.com/15g-Lamisil-DermGel-Terbinafine-Anti-fungal/product-reviews/B00R9AGCJC/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_1?pageNumber=1

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Antibacterial soaps?

Is there another kind?

I dont get how your happy to go along with chemical/steroid creams but worried about plain old soap.

You're over thinking this, I already gave you the cure.

Edited by onthesoi

11 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

I had the same problem with the underarm and jock itch

Steriod cream did the trick temporarily, and don't use it for a long time, they leave horrible scars

For permanent fix I had to lose about 7kgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm pretty sure steroids work for about anything skin related (and so much more, I puff it into my lungs). But there is the issue of damage especially in the groin so I'll hold off on that for now at least.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, pauleddy said:

I am going through the same thing. Today, the Dermatologist added ECOSONE ointment twice daily as well as the previous Elomet ointment at night in combination. Seems a bit better tonight.

When I did use normal talc, it was a bad move. The medicated itch talc did seem ok (as above) but only in the early stages. Another dermatologist told me TWICE to avoid powders because the yeast or ringworm "Likes" the starch.

Most powders are done in a base of talc.. Not starch.