Simple Personal Homepage

Daffy D

Hi

I sure most of you have very exiting home pages to admire when your computer starts up. :D

Unfortunately not being very “Geeky” my home page is the one TOT gave out and it’s not very exiting. :D

I remember some time ago seeing in an internet cafe the computers having a home page with the logos of the main e-mail providers, Hotmail, Yahoo, and some others on the screen so the customer just had to click in his (or hers) choice to get to that log-in page.

That is the kind of thing I am looking for. Something (easy and not too geeky) I can set up with maybe 4 or 6 choices from my home page.

It would be nice to set up the home page with a couple of my regular e-mail logos the TV logo and maybe the Bangkok post or whatever I use regularly so just one click will quickly open what I want.

Any thing out there that will do this for me? :o

D.D.

Born from the same code as Composer, NVU is free and has all the features you normally find in the high priced editors. Easy to use.

Another option is to get a Wordpress account and do it on their server, with their templates. Once you feel more confident you can think of getting your own hosting and domain.

I personally think that god-awful thing called Myspace is the only thing on the web that makes Geocities look better, but a somewhat better alternative is Facebook, formerly ready-made homepages for Uni students, now available to the general public. It's layout is much less ugly than myspace.

Edited by cdnvic

I might have read it wrong, but I think what the OP desires is an online Portal that opens when he launches his browser. As that link shows, there are many sites that offer you free portal pages that allow you to "personalize." As with all personalized pages, the user needs to register.

I favor the Google personal page myself. Go to Google. In the top, right corner click on "Personalized Home." From there you can choose the default or click on "Add Stuff" from the right side of the page. Once you have it set up the way you like it, make it your browser "homepage."

Edited by Rice_King

Personally, I use the Firefox browser which allows you to set more than one page as home page - by the help of tabs. When I click on Firefox, it loads with 4 pages in 4 different tabs within the Firefox window - My favourite daily newspaper, Thaivisa, My work website, and Google. To switch sites, just click on the tabs.

This way you do not have to customize your own page.

All you need to do is save the URLs (i.e. the text displayed in the address bar when you are seeing the page you want to have as a start page) and add them in succession after each other in the settings of Firefox - under the menu Tools / Options / General / Home Page, separated by the | sign.

Example: To have two pages (Thaivisa main forum page and Google search) load when you open your browser, make sure you have this text in the home page field:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/|http://www.google.com/

---which leads me to the question, how do I stop the forum software from making my URLs clickable?

Thanks for all your help info and suggestions, I will follow through on them.

The thing is I am not after creating my own “Web” page. I have already looked at some of the options suggested but they have far too much stuff on the page and are not what I am looking for.

This is a VERY crude image of the kind of thing I am after. The idea is that when I switch on the computer internet connection a page like this comes up ready for me to click on what I want.

post-35075-1168162091_thumb.jpg

Simple? :D Or am I being naive?? :o

Thanks

D.D. :D

I'm not sure if you mean building your own home page - i.e web site or setting up a home page in your browser?

Either way, 2 great products from google can help with both:

http://www.google.co.uk/ig LEt's you create a custom Google home page, with links and tools.

pages.google.com let's you create your own home page easily and can host it on there server.

Hope this helps!

To get that kind of page, you will need to author a simple html page that you can then store locally on your PC. (You won't need a server or webhosting for this.) After you have it coded, you can open it in your browser. You will need to maintain your custom start page, editing the code as your favorite links will move or get removed over time. Painful. I do not advocate this approach. Maybe someone here has a better method.

Daffy, download following htm file to your documents.

open your documents, double click on daffy.htm.

set the page as your homepage in your browser...

You can edit the htm as much as you like by opening it with notepad, or one of the programs mentioned above.

Experiment, learn and improve :o

daffy.htm

Daffy, download following htm file to your documents.

open your documents, double click on daffy.htm.

set the page as your homepage in your browser...

You can edit the htm as much as you like by opening it with notepad, or one of the programs mentioned above.

Experiment, learn and improve :D

“MONTY”

This is just what I am looking for. Love the idea of including my portrait, hadn’t thought of that. What can I link it to? :o

I don’t really understand how to use your example in creating my own. On the top of my browser (Windows IE) I have the choice of “Edit with” I tried notepad and got what I guess is some kind of basic code that I do not want to mess with. :D

I really would like to understand the basics of creating this home page as I Do Do want to experiment and learn.

“RICE KING”

I couldn’t find a link on the top right of my Google page to “Personalized Home” but other posters gave a direct link. Am I missing a link? :D

“Tarig”

Appreciate the offer of creating a free homepage but I really want to do this on my own. Knowledge for its own sake or something like that. Any advice not already cover still welcome.

Google seems the way to go, though I would like to keep it really simple like “MONTY’S” example. Either way how would I link say, Bangkok Post to my page?

On the Google “make your own” it does not have this option. Can I add it?

Lots of questions still – hope you guys haven’t given up on me yet. :D

D.D.

Lots of questions still – hope you guys haven’t given up on me yet. :o

D.D.

Try one of the free html (what you see is what you get) editors like the free CoffeCup editor I mentioned. Just open monty's file and you can start moving the pictures around, change links and will find it will not take long using this type. Raw html code, definitely not ready for that. :D