Governor Aswin opens 6.3-km water tunnel under Klong Bang Sue

webfact

Governor Aswin opens 6.3-km water tunnel under Klong Bang Sue

By Thai PBS

tunnel.jpg

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang on Wednesday (Sept 6) formally  pressed the button to start the engine to pump excess water through a 6.3 kilometre long water tunnel under Klong Bang Sue into the Chao Phraya river.

Construction of the underground water tunnel which is five metres wide and 6.3 kilometre long and the installation of water pumps took four years for completion at a total cost of 2.4 billion baht.

The tunnel will help ease flood problem in the northern part of Bangkok by diverting excess water in six districts namely Dusit, Bang Sue, Phraya Thai, Chatuchak, Din Daeng and Huai Khwang into the Chao Phraya river.  It will ease flood problem on main roads such as Paholyothin, Vibhavadi Rangsit, Ratchadapisek, Lat Phrao, Kamphaeng Phet and Samsen.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/governor-aswin-opens-6-3-km-water-tunnel-klong-bang-sue/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-07

53 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Well they choose a good day for it, should be getting a good work out this morning.

Judging by the lack of people in the office, the traffic must be shocking in some areas due to early morning rain.

Yes I am curious if it works or not at least it seems a project against flooding that is completed. Can't remember many projects against flooding that were completed the last 6 years (after 2011). Maybe the difference is that this is a BMA project ?

Bored with the lack of action on flooding solutions, i accept there will always be flooding but known trouble points should be strengthened and more permanent structures made instead of the sand bags. 

For this to work the rainwater should be able to drain properly in order to reach the tunnel. Considering the state of the road drain system in the city I have a feeling the tunnel won't have much impact.

I hope I am wrong, time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Fantastic.

Will be full of plastic bags, leaves, and the odd body within 6 weeks. 

so you would have preferred that no action to alleviate flooding and disperse the waters be taken?

or do you just feel a need to spread misery because you have so little else to live for.