Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

17 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Saw some Marlboro Reds in 7-11 this morning priced at 165 Baht.

That will likely mean for new stock of Mild 7 a new tax-inflated price of 170 baht,  a 30% hike. M7 was always 5 baht more than Marlboro. Ouch! That's $6.50 Cdn. Premium cigs in Canada are $11-12 a 20 pack.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Looks like white spirit is the way to go then! Not very good for the liver mind.

Cheers

No way pal .!!! Have you ever tried that stuff ? It is disgusting . The taste stays with you for days . Brew your own beer . The only good rice alcohol I had was in the Himalayas . Nepali Roxi . Maybe the best alcohol I have tasted . Freshly distilled everywhere without presevative so no hangover and a very decent buzz too . A little tricky to do at home though I am prepared to get learning .

Edited by sklmeeera

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Having read that article three times,  I now remember why I never studied maths beyond Os. 

Could not make head nor tail of what increase would amount to from it. 

Don't worry, looks like we're all the same. Not knowing whether the tax is calculated as an addition to the old tax, or as a new calculation from the price at the factory/brewery gate (and what the actual cost price is) ??!! Etc.........

As clear as mud at the moment!:sad::shock1::smile:

Just now, puchooay said:

Locals not being able to afford beer, tourists going elsewhere, Mom Pop shops closing down????

Does anyone really thing that ThaiBev and BoonRawd are going to allow this to happen?

Remember the Singha beer heiress campaigning with the yellow shirts/Suthep! Wonder what that lot are thinking now?

1 hour ago, lonewolf99 said:

Coupled with the nonsense from TAT on the Pattaya news forum this is going to be a serious nail in the coffin of the tourist industry.

I was in Jomtien a month a ago and in a well known establishment that serves western food.

Gammon steak and chips, 1 bottle of beer for me and a Thai dish and a bottle of water for the girlfriend. Then I worked out the cost at that days rate for the UK pound against the bill in Baht.

11 pounds 90 pence.................................and this before this new tax hike on the booze.

The country is dead on its feet.

So, quite a bit less than you would pay in the UK. Would you have a girlfriend in the UK as good as your Thai GF? (pick your own criteria).

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Locals not being able to afford beer, tourists going elsewhere, Mom Pop shops closing down????

Does anyone really thing that ThaiBev and BoonRawd are going to allow this to happen?

No, not at all.

"The white spirit tax rate is 2 per cent of retail price and Bt155 per litre of alcoholic content, while for other kinds of spirits the rate is 20 per cent of retail price and Bt255 per litre of alcoholic content "

So Gin, Vodka, and Bacardi have a very low price increase ?

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

By my (hopefully wrong) calculation, a 5 litre box of the fruit wine that I buy will go from 959 baht to 1,934 baht.

If it's the Mont Clair, I used to buy one of those occasionally, although I've not been drinking wine for quite a while now.

Only guesswork/ not being sure of the calculation, but I'm thinking about 150 Baht on a 70cl standard bottle, would be about what you say/in the ballpark for a 5L box.

I am guessing there will be a U-turn quite quickly. These increases hit Thais far more than tourists and social media will go into overdrive.

The main beneficiaries will be smugglers from neighbouring countries. Start making friends with your local motorbike taxi driver.

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

More likely drive more people to the sometimes lethal lao khao.

Winelovers better fly cheap to Singapore/Malaysia and bring it back taxfree. 

We have many friends who are air-stewards and they are fully booked now to bring taxfree goods.

55 minutes ago, sungod said:

Just came back from my local supermarket, Leo at 34 baht a small bottle. If the rate rise was immediate then who's worried at that price :)

Small Singha Light was 32 baht, now 45 baht in 7/11, about 40% increase

A box was about 780 baht so assume now about1035 baht

16 minutes ago, champers said:

So, quite a bit less than you would pay in the UK. Would you have a girlfriend in the UK as good as your Thai GF? (pick your own criteria).

Chances are that you would have considerably more money to start with in the UK than here in Thailand. And your girlfriend would make considerably more than 300bt/day, should she work!

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Winelovers better fly cheap to Singapore/Malaysia and bring it back taxfree. 

We have many friends who are air-stewards and they are fully booked now to bring taxfree goods.

A good way would be to cross the land border into Cambodia, nice & cheap, plus no weight restrictions associated with flying, or relying on friends.

Asoke Bangkok.  Just been to 7/11  and alcohol prices not changed … yet!  In fact they also still had 3 bottles of Bells Whiskey on the shelf at THB349 a Bottle (70cl) so I took  all 3.  (Well could be the last of the Bells?)  Also checked the cool cupboards and Chang was 74 for 2 small bottles (37 Baht a bottle).  So … seems like 7/11 is using up old stock before whacking on any tax increase.  No complaints about that.

50 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

At this hour the corner 7-11 is still selling smokes at old prices. But, they will be getting fresh deliveries mid-afternoon. I'm expecting about a 30 baht increase on Marlboros. Just a guess, though.

But do they have stock? 

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

A good way would be to cross the land border into Cambodia, nice & cheap, plus no weight restrictions associated with flying, or relying on friends.

is rolling tobacco also more expensive now?

If not it's best to buy a cigaret rolling machine and let it make ciggies at home...buy empty cartridges and fill em with thai tobacco of your choice. These days there should be small automatic machines i guess.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

If not it's best to buy a cigaret rolling machine and let it make ciggies at home

Or use your fingers. I did that for decades before I finally quit smoking - from one day to the next. I preferred the red Rizla paper and Van Nelle or Bison halfzware.

OK, we can chill!

Actual price changes as reported by the Nation are here.

The tax per bottle of wine priced more than Bt1,000 will be Bt110 upwards, depending on the price. The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle.

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

The tax on imported spirits will be a little less, from Bt3 to Bt26 depending on alcohol content.

For cheap cigarette brands, add Bt4 to Bt15 more per pack

higher-priced cigarettes Bt2-19 more per pack.

24 minutes ago, ROBINPATTAYA said:

Small Singha Light was 32 baht, now 45 baht in 7/11, about 40% increase

A box was about 780 baht so assume now about1035 baht

So today You have been in a 7/11 and was 45 thb for Singha light ? Do you see if the price of others beer as changed as well?

Edited by marino28