Phuket taxi driver comes unstuck as tourist passes fake B500 banknote

webfact

Phuket taxi driver comes unstuck as tourist passes fake B500 banknote

Eakkapop Thongtub

1505880212_1-org.jpg

The fake B500 note literally had extra zeros glued onto the paper. Image: Supplied

PHUKET: A Phuket taxi driver has posted a warning for people to beware fake banknotes after a tourist got away with handing him a B50 banknote washed with a purple tint and with extra zeros literally glued on it to present it as a B500 note.

The driver, who did not want to be named, posted photos of the notes on Facebook yesterday (Sept 19) under the name “คนข้างเคียง เดือนสิบสอง” (“Person close to you – month 12”).

“Staff at my office showed me this, this morning,” he wrote. “The money was from a taxi driver who was handed this from a tourist on Monday night (Sept 18).

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-taxi-driver-comes-unstuck-as-tourist-passes-fake-b500-banknote-63961.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-20

5 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good. Finally a farang ripping off the professional riff offs.

Not a farang. A 'foreigner'. The subtext of this difference is that Farang refers to European heritage and 'foreigner' is Arab or North Asian...ie Indian or similar.

43 minutes ago, The manic said:

Not a farang. A 'foreigner'. The subtext of this difference is that Farang refers to European heritage and 'foreigner' is Arab or North Asian...ie Indian or similar.

and if you want to know more : at the very first time , the word "farang" came from  'falang se' refering to français  (french people) only !

later usually used for white people as the khmer pronunciation BALAN (nearly BLAN) refered to "blanc" (white people)

little bit off topic,  :sorry:

but okay , you're right The manic, as they speak about tourist in the article, could be arab, asian or african

Edited by silverado1

25 minutes ago, silverado1 said:

and if you want to know more : at the very first time , the word "farang" came from  'falang se' refering to français  (french people) only !

later usually used for white people as the khmer pronunciation BALAN (nearly BLAN) refered to "blanc" (white people)

little bit off topic,  :sorry:

but okay , you're right The manic, as they speak about tourist in the article, could be arab, asian or african

After thirty years in and out of Thailand and as a qualified linguistic expert I knew this 29 years ago...But thanks anyway.

On 9/20/2017 at 12:50 PM, SABloke said:

The worst thing about this story is that a trip on the island is 'allowed' to cost 500 Baht. :saai:

Interesting comment- I got a taxi from Pattaya to Utapao and it was more for a shorter distance.

Would you fall for this badly faked Thai banknote? One taxi driver did

By Coconuts Bangkok

ertyu.PNG

Photos: The Phuket News

A Phuket taxi driver manager posted a warning for people to beware of fake banknotes after a tourist got away with paying with a THB50 (USD1.50) banknote washed with a purple tint and with extra zeros literally glued on it to present it as a THB500 (USD15) note.

However, even in black-and-white, the design of the bill should be obvious to anyone who regularly uses Thai cash.

A taxi company manager, who did not want to be named, posted photos of the note on Facebook Tuesday, saying “Staff at my office showed me this. The money was from a taxi driver who was handed this from a tourist on Monday night. We are not sure if it was the tourist created this banknote or if someone else handed it to (him/her) without realizing it.”

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/fall-badly-faked-thai-banknote-one-taxi-driver-photos/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-9-21