Thirty temples involved in embezzlement: Omsin

webfact

Thirty temples involved in embezzlement: Omsin

By The Nation

PM’s Office Minister Omsin Chivapruek said on Thursday that 30 Buddhist temples had been involved in the alleged embezzlement of temple restoration budgets bestowed by the National Office of Buddhism.

Omsin said he had received a report from the Office of the Auditor-General concluding that about 30 temples had been involved in the scandal.

Officials at the National Office of Buddhism had offered temple restoration funds to temples in exchange for kickbacks, the report said.

Omsin said he had been informed by the Auditor-General that 13 laymen and two monks were involved in the scandal. The suspects included former Buddhism Office directors Phanom Sornsilp and Pranom Kongpikul as well as three or four senior government officials.

He said the National Office of Buddhism had been instructed to take legal action and the suspects, some of whom are active officials, will be suspended from duty pending investigations.

Ormsin said the report from the Auditor-General showed that about Bt300 million had been embezzled over several years since the Buddhism Office was headed by Nopparat Benjawatananan.

“It has been happening according to the same formula. They [officials] told monks that they would give funds for restoring temples, but the monks had to return some of the money. They offered Bt2 million and asked for Bt1.3 million back. Some temples in provinces had only one monk, who might not know about the officials regulations,” Omsin said.

“The monks simply believed what they were told by Buddhism office officials. I am not defending monks but I am speaking about what I read in the report.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30327304

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-21

Here's the deal. We give you B2 million, you give us back B1.3 million and keep B200,000 for yourself. The locals will be impressed with half a mill in repairs, and you get family members or the contractor who offers the best kickback to do the work. In return we won't ask about how much you get from donations, car parking, rents from vendors or any other scam you've got going.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Here's the deal. We give you B2 million, you give us back B1.3 million and keep B200,000 for yourself. The locals will be impressed with half a mill in repairs, and you get family members or the contractor who offers the best kickback to do the work. In return we won't ask about how much you get from donations, car parking, rents from vendors or any other scam you've got going.

" When will people rise up and get their share...."Tracy Chapman

Seven yrs ago, I happily paid 15,000 bhatt for a post/column in a new temple, near us being built, the head monk died and recently I enquired was our name still going to be put on a column in the temple

No record of receipt of funds

OK and God Bless lesson learnt, last donation to that cause

1 minute ago, TheLobster said:

On the last religious day we went to the Temple in Bangrak on Koh Samui with our 'offerings'. We were not welcomed nor our visit appreciated by the 2 'monks' residing there. TBH they looked more like Thai gangsters in an orange robe.

Very very sad, I must say at various temples we have always both been made to feel welcome, at one of our local temples where my wife goes on a regular basis the head monk if he meet me at a funeral or wedding always goes out of his way to come and say hello

I shall visit the temple for a blessing before my up and coming surgery, I am Christian, but still respect their views

Yes there are some bad ones but that goes for all walks of life

We were having problems with a stepson and he is now living for a couple of years at a temple, no money requested, and we Believe he is happier and more contented

Look how long the Catholic church got away with things.     The % of the initial take is telling.   65% of the original amount demanded back from the government officials.   Not just 10-15%.  I think crimes like this require the utmost harsh punishment.  But look at the Wall Street criminals. 

This just shows how deep the corruption in Thailand goes, like I have said many times - it is a deep routed problem that will take a very powerful and brave man to confront it head on, there is no elected government that will ever or has ever tried to confront it simply because they have always been well rooted into it and part of it - all of them making billions and enriching themselves including the military 

who is going to fix it, like I said a very brave man

There have been some changes over the last 4 years, many powerful people are in jail and many laws have been passed and enacted to deal with crooks in office that have enriched themselves, it is happening but there is a long long way to go

who can take it further, who can give the Thai people (tax payers) their money back from the criminals that have been enriching themselves

slowly but surely we see more and more of these crooks being brought to account with a very long way to go

anyone here that can suggest how this proceeds further with more of the same then please go ahead and share

as it is now - corruption is becoming a very dangerous game for that want to take the risk and long may it continue 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

This just shows how deep the corruption in Thailand goes, like I have said many times - it is a deep routed problem that will take a very powerful and brave man to confront it head on, there is no elected government that will ever or has ever tried to confront it simply because they have always been well rooted into it and part of it - all of them making billions and enriching themselves including the military 

There have been some changes over the last 4 years, many powerful people are in jail and many laws have been passed and enacted to deal with crooks in office that have enriched themselves, it is happening but there is a long long way to go

who can take it further, who can give the Thai people (tax payers) their money back from the criminals that have been enriching themselves

slowly but surely we see more and more of these crooks being brought to account with a very long way to go

anyone here that can suggest how this proceeds further with more of the same then please go ahead and share

as it is now - corruption is becoming a very dangerous game for that want to take the risk and long may it continue 

I think you are being blinded by the smoke and mirrors. Corruption is not being taken care off, the new group of mobsters are just making sure the old group of mobsters stay away for a long time. At no point they have the interest of the people or the country at heart.

A sign things could improve is when power is spread out instead of concentrated. Thailand needs checks and balances, not one group taking control of everything, being above the law, and not being accountable (the PM mentioned literally at some point he is accountable to no one).

The way to fight and stop corruption, in my view, is getting rid of defamation laws, the computer crime act, and hoping the population keeps getting outraged over clips and stories posted on social media. At some point the government will have to act to be able to stay in power.

Of course they see the dangers also which is why they work so hard on limiting the power of social media and going after "computer crimes".

10 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

The way to fight and stop corruption, in my view, is getting rid of defamation laws, the computer crime act, and hoping the population keeps getting outraged over clips and stories posted on social media. At some point the government will have to act to be able to stay in power.

Oh so very true, and at the same time add the lemajeste laws to the list, encourage social media, and give whistle blowers safety and rewards

19 hours ago, Elkski said:

" When will people rise up and get their share...."Tracy Chapman

15 years ago I spent a lot of time in Cuba, maybe a total of a couple of years, I was travelling on my trawler yacht

I had many good friends and they were very similar in many ways to the Thais, many complained about the regime, but like here did nothing, when I challenged them they replied if they did anything they would vanish and be dead

I used to tell them if you really want change you are going to have to fight and yes people will die but that is sometimes the price of freedom

So many similarities here, fortunately being an old man it is easier for me to accept, change is needed in Cuba, and here as well

16 hours ago, al007 said:

15 years ago I spent a lot of time in Cuba, maybe a total of a couple of years, I was travelling on my trawler yacht

I had many good friends and they were very similar in many ways to the Thais, many complained about the regime, but like here did nothing, when I challenged them they replied if they did anything they would vanish and be dead

I used to tell them if you really want change you are going to have to fight and yes people will die but that is sometimes the price of freedom

So many similarities here, fortunately being an old man it is easier for me to accept, change is needed in Cuba, and here as well

Maybe the 20 000 plus that get killed on the roads each year would be better off fighting for real change..... That would be a lot more productive. 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, tomacht8 said:

kickbacks and corruption is a folk disease here.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, smedly said:

It's all part of the Black Economy which represents 41% of the entire Thai economy. One of the biggest in the world. In some expert's opinion it is unfixable.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, halloween said:

Reminds me of the old story:

Three Thai contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at Government House.

One is from Din Daeng another is from Lumphini and the third is from Phaya Thai. All three go with an official to examine the fence.

The Din Daeng contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.

"Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about 40,000 thb, 19,000 thb for materials, 15,000 thb for my crew and 6,000 thb profit for me."

The Lumphini contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for 35,000 thb.

That's 17,000 thb for materials, 12,000 thb for my crew and 6,000 thb profit for me."

The Phaya Thai contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the government official and whispers, 300,000 thb."

The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure?"

The Phaya Tha contractor whispers back, “130,000 thb for me, 130,000 thb for you, and we hire the guy from Din Daeng to fix the fence."

“Done" Replies the government official.

30 will only be scratching at the surface of a gigantic problem.  The so called 'Monks' are helped along the road to ruin by the ever greedy local 'Officials' responsible for dishing out funds and the naive populace who continue to grace the thieves in yellow with cash believing that it will earn them 'Merit'.

Presumably the RTP will be investigating this alleged corruption. That gives confidence as there is no better authority with knowledge of corruption than the RTP. But that qualification only applies if they have not been sharing in the said spoils.