Android TV boxes Solid/Stable Android Build Sept. 2017 ???

freedomnow

Can anyone recommend a stable Android TV box that is not going to jam up/crash be incompatible with Firefox app ?

My needs are simple, only a few apps needing frequent use but 2GB RAM and ability to use an micro-SD as expanded storage space would be useful..as would OTA updates for Android...though such a feature is usually only given by bigger companies I think.

So far, I found online by googling 'better" TV boxes..this one ...Sunvell Q-Box

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32678297618.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.U8YYi3

which looks like an OEM unit re-branded by a few sellers.

If it is in fact to be avoided, can anyone recommend one at the same price or less ?

A few years back I was driven up the wall by 2 Android tablets that would stick and generally just be a mess.

HTB1nmVBKpXXXXb8XFXXq6xXFXXXj.jpg

Edited by freedomnow

I had the H96 and found it used to get very hot, programs started to freeze, boxes getting hot appears to be a problem here in Thailand. The only box I could find was the zidoo x10 with a built in fan, stays cool and works great, a bit pricey at 7000baht, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

can anyone recommend one at the same price or less ?

For a similar price (maybe 15$ more?) I've been happy with the Beelink GT1 Ultimate. Comes with 3GB and S912 Octacore. Small well built unit, runs without heat problems in a non air con room, never hangs or buffers much on WiFi. Came with Android 6 and company provides flash tool to upgrade to Android 7, both o/s seems OK for me.

I am using the H96 pro plus with 3gb ram and 32gb flash rom. Over heating not a problem. Now available with 64gb rom for 2600 baht from Lazada. Andoid 7.1.2. Has micro slot too. Excellent value for the money.

Edited by Nomad97
add

Himedia (Q5pro/ Q30 with Android 7) or Minix devices (U9H)

Himedia support forum on Futeko and Minix hk support for their devices and Freaktab.

See web sites in Thailand PCsupplyonline, Iplusstudio and Digilifegadget for the specs.

I would not recommend Sunvell products, as far as I know have no support and no updates.

Edited by userabcd

The problem with all these Chinese "el cheapos" is, that they don't have a proper DRM implementation/certification.

Means that Netflix, Amazon and other major streaming services will only output very low resolutions on their streams.

I have a few of these boxes and even a "premium" Minix box (5500 Baht) can't stream NF with higher res. than 720X480(?).

19 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

The problem with all these Chinese "el cheapos" is, that they don't have a proper DRM implementation/certification.

Means that Netflix, Amazon and other major streaming services will only output very low resolutions on their streams.

I have a few of these boxes and even a "premium" Minix box (5500 Baht) can't stream NF with higher res. than 720X480(?).

Why you need an expensive box and the Netflix app, if through Kodi you can stream Netflix in 1080p on those " el cheapo's"?

On 22/09/2017 at 2:18 PM, userabcd said:

I would not recommend Sunvell products, as far as I know have no support and no updates.

You're right about that, Sunvell is one of the major manufacturers of tv boxes, but I don't recall anything decent leaving their factory.

18 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why you need an expensive box and the Netflix app, if through Kodi you can stream Netflix in 1080p on those " el cheapo's"?

On Android and 1080p without stuttering?

Can you provide a link please.

All NF addons, that I have tried in the past, don't work anymore.

But NF is just an example, my preferred live-streaming app runs also poorly (micro stuttering) and the Kodi addon is absolutely unreliable and ugly too.

However, I'm not a huge Kodi fan, (especially not on Android), so I prefer the official apps anyway.

PS: And exactly for these reasons and the poor auto-refresh rate switching (24/25p stuttering), I'm back to a Windows10 Notebook atm.

Not the latest and greatest, but everything runs smoothly now, 1080p is no problem, fast USB3 and SATA and I can remote-control it easy via Anydesk.

Probably the next generation of Android boxes, will be more sufficient...we will see.

19 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

On Android and 1080p without stuttering?

Can you provide a link please.

All NF addons, that I have tried in the past, don't work anymore.

But NF is just an example, my preferred live-streaming app runs also poorly (micro stuttering) and the Kodi addon is absolutely unreliable and ugly too.

However, I'm not a huge Kodi fan, (especially not on Android), so I prefer the official apps anyway.

PS: And exactly for these reasons and the poor auto-refresh rate switching (24/25p stuttering), I'm back to a Windows10 Notebook atm.

Not the latest and greatest, but everything runs smoothly now, 1080p is no problem, fast USB3 and SATA and I can remote-control it easy via Anydesk.

Probably the next generation of Android boxes, will be more sufficient...we will see.

If it buffers that mean you have either a poor internet connection, poor quality box with low RAM or have no idea how to set up Kodi.

Below Narcos season 3 from 2 different sources .

59ce75834b0b5_narcos2.JPG.033828cd5afcae43ae375cbfa13aa836.JPGnarcos.JPG.96ec583ab4c0022163f93f29d905769c.JPG

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

If it buffers that mean ....

Below Narcos season 3 from 2 different sources .

Where did I talk about buffering?

I know, from where I could download/stream (pirated) "Netflix" content.

But where is the context to "you can stream Netflix in 1080p"?

2 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Where did I talk about buffering?

I know, from where I could download/stream (pirated) "Netflix" content.

But where is the context to "you can stream Netflix in 1080p"?

To me stuttering means the same as buffering, as that a stream is fluent.

If you insist on paying for the content you can get free, and in even higher quality, then I rest my case.

Enjoy paying your monthly bill for your 480p content, I will continue watching it in 1080p, and often even before it is available to your paid subscription.

Anyway, the Netflix HD streaming works on Nvidia shield, Wetek or Amazon fire tv, and last time I checked that were Android tv boxes.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

To me stuttering means the same as buffering, as that a stream is fluent.

If you insist on paying for the content you can get free, and in even higher quality, then I rest my case.

Enjoy paying your monthly bill for your 480p content, I will continue watching it in 1080p, and often even before it is available to your paid subscription.

Buffering means NOT stuttering, seems you don't know what I'm talking about.

However, enjoy your pirated content, but that was not the subject of discussion.

At least you agree with me, that Netflix + Co. doesn't stream in HD on the above mentioned "el cheapos".

I'm out at this point.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:23 AM, Nomad97 said:

I am using the H96 pro plus with 3gb ram and 32gb flash rom. Over heating not a problem. Now available with 64gb rom for 2600 baht from Lazada. Andoid 7.1.2. Has micro slot too. Excellent value for the money.

Yeah? Could you supply a link for that one - I can't seem to find it on Lazada (but then again their search function ain't the best, is it...)

Thanks

Edited by CaptainSplod