North Korea's bark may be worse than bite in threat to shoot down U.S. bombers

webfact

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Loaded question, or realistic question? I am somewhat familiar with US intelligence systems; I have seen their strengths and their weaknesses. You seem to be spouting what our intelligence sources publicly say, the Norks are relying on obsolete technology and defense systems. Intelligence also states the best defense the Norks can assemble are their KN-06 missile, which are based-on the early Soviet S-300 missiles. Yet, are we sure they are not improved; and the answer is yes, they have been improved, but are they sufficiently improved to counter our missiles or aircraft?  Well, I posit that we may think not, but are we sure? Thus; are you willing to underestimate the Norks? I do not see that as a loaded question.

The post makes a broad generalized sweep of nervous nellie questions which is fine given there's usually good to be gained by asking questions and in being skeptical. You might want to answer at least a few your own questions though. That is, you'd need to get specific. Assertions of spooks and goblins hovering don't get my attention but a tank coming on would definitely get my full focus.

In contrast the main reality number one is that Kim III has focused his limited national resources on making H-Bombs and ICBMs. Kim's naval focus is on the one diesel electric powered boomer sub that can launch nuclear armed missiles.  

Kim has a gazillion guys in his army, seventy subs in his navy, lots of antiaircraft missiles in his air force. Him also has 200K special forces to attack U.S. forces at their bases in SK. Him has a swarm of artillery at the 38th parallel. However additional ghost forces and weapons systems that are invisible until activated are always hard to spot. 

We know the major military powers almost always have a super secret weapons system or more than one that they cloak to surprise the enemy if a conflict occurs. Surprise in warfare is always to be expected. So why am I not surprised. It is after all Kim who'd be in for the surprise. 

30 minutes ago, Publicus said:

The post makes a broad generalized sweep of nervous nellie questions which is fine given there's usually good to be gained by asking questions and in being skeptical. You might want to answer at least a few your own questions though. That is, you'd need to get specific. Assertions of spooks and goblins hovering don't get my attention but a tank coming on would definitely get my full focus.

In contrast the main reality number one is that Kim III has focused his limited national resources on making H-Bombs and ICBMs. Kim's naval focus is on the one diesel electric powered boomer sub that can launch nuclear armed missiles.  

Kim has a gazillion guys in his army, seventy subs in his navy, lots of antiaircraft missiles in his air force. Him also has 200K special forces to attack U.S. forces at their bases in SK. Him has a swarm of artillery at the 38th parallel. However additional ghost forces and weapons systems that are invisible until activated are always hard to spot. 

We know the major military powers almost always have a super secret weapons system or more than one that they cloak to surprise the enemy if a conflict occurs. Surprise in warfare is always to be expected. So why am I not surprised. It is after all Kim who'd be in for the surprise. 

It is after all Kim who'd be in for the surprise. "

The arrogance and cockiness is so funny

he's had 50 years to prepare for this and the USA hardly has an exemplary record of winning wars:cheesy:

10 minutes ago, midas said:

he's had 50 years to prepare for this and the USA hardly has an exemplary record of winning wars:cheesy:

I think Saddam Hussein might disagree with you on that one! LOL

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think Saddam Hussein might disagree with you on that one! LOL

but the Vietnamese wouldn't:giggle:

Seriously America should be spending its money at home rather than squandering it overseas on even more wars

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-infrastructure-falling-apart-2017-2

Edited by midas

5 minutes ago, midas said:

but the Vietnamese wouldn't:giggle:

Seriously America should be spending its money at home rather than squandering it overseas on even more wars

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-infrastructure-falling-apart-2017-2

Had to go back a long time for that one?  Maybe we should go back to the civil war period? :giggle:

No doubt there are better things to spend your money on.  How about NK does the same?  Fair if fair, right?  Or are you only interested in bashing the US as normal?

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Had to go back a long time for that one?  Maybe we should go back to the civil war period? :giggle:

No doubt there are better things to spend your money on.  How about NK does the same?  Fair if fair, right?  Or are you only interested in bashing the US as normal?

I'm not bashing the US. In fact I used to love the US. It's those that are controlling the US that I don't like:ph34r:

1 hour ago, midas said:

Ground forces of the All Volunteer Force have been a national embarrassment so you won't get any argument from over here.

In Iraq for instance Army and Marines have been running Operation Desert Disaster from 1991 to the present. In Afghanistan Army and Marines have been running the ground conflict as if they were Burger King, i.e., "Have it Your Way."

USAF and USN have conversely been awesome. The navy itself does just fine when it is not banging into other ships while trying to accomplish the ancient art and skill of navigating from point A to point B. On the vast ocean.

I served voluntarily during conscription and during the Vietnam War although I had the brains not to go to Vietnam. So I'll leave the accounting for the All Volunteer Failage to its veterans and active duty personnel here who might want to speak to the challenges presented by the armed forces of NK and also of the CCP-PRC. I'll throw in Russia too for a good measure.

AVF is anyway too small a force that is drawn from too narrow a demographic to win a major land war anywhere. I'd like to think nonetheless the AFIK and in Japan are up to the mission there. The one thingy we do know is that the key to keeping the AVF from getting in over its boots is to avoid putting 'em in the deserts in Asia. Korea the peninsula is more suited to the new Pentagon post-Afghanistan doctrines of air-sea battle with ground forces standing by. The best orders we can give to our ground forces is don't do anything, just stand there. Hurry up and wait is another good way to put it.

Edited by Publicus
Gee that desert has a lot of sand.

5 hours ago, midas said:

I'm not bashing the US. In fact I used to love the US. It's those that are controlling the US that I don't like:ph34r:

Lost love is a tragedy indeed but it's rarely Shakespearian. Pedestrian would be a good word for it.

I don't care much for many of the elites of the USA or of any place but I thank my lucky stars we the people of the USA can continue to effect change and to self-correct. While I do sympathize with the people of NK born under their dim stars I can sympathize with sheep too. Bill Gates is a good guy to have among others in U.S. elites while Kim Jong Un is the only thing he could be over there.

Did I mention Kim quit squawking about firing missiles into waters off Guam once SecDef Mattis visited SK and Japan and said our Thaad and Patriot systems on Guam exist for a reason. I did mention it, yes, so at this point I'm just sayin.  And what I'm sayin is that all their fundamentals are wrong over there.

8 hours ago, Publicus said:

Go for it Braveheart, stick that chest out and strut and hope you are right. I think KJU is more likely to be playing with Trump and is planning to sell his nuclear devices to third parties. Gee I wonder if you could smuggle a nuke into the US--since the wall isn't up, of course--and use a common vehicle as a delivery system? How well could your unbeatable US technology handle that? 

52 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Go for it Braveheart, stick that chest out and strut and hope you are right. I think KJU is more likely to be playing with Trump and is planning to sell his nuclear devices to third parties. Gee I wonder if you could smuggle a nuke into the US--since the wall isn't up, of course--and use a common vehicle as a delivery system? How well could your unbeatable US technology handle that? 

What some seem not to know is that the U.S. does know what Kim III is doing and what he is up to. One is to use his nuclear weapons program to try to separate the U.S. from its allies Seoul and Tokyo....and all the U.S. allies of the region. Another Kim design is the Kim Dynasty obsession to "unify" the peninsula under its rule, sooner or later is fine by Him. U.S. is absolutely opposed to Kim's nuclear programs because we know also Kim will sell to the buyers who are determined to destroy us directly, such as the "third parties" you rightfully reference. (Pardon my yawn thx.)

If you might be dismissing absolutely that Trump would strike conventionally then you might consider packing a lunch to go to Pyongyang to stand at the statues of Kim I and Kim II for a while. Trump's hawk China advisers such as Peter Navarone from UC have Trump strong arming Xi Jinping, reading the riot act to the Frenchman at heart President Kim of SK and reassuring Japan PM Shinzo Abe that the U.S. isn't going anywhere because of Kim or for any reason. 

Did I mention Kim III shut up on firing missiles into the waters near Guam -- it suddenly struck him they might get blasted by Thaad and Patriot batteries there and also USN Aegis systems. I did indeed mention it and I reference it again because you keep posting things we already know of and other things you might need to brush up on occasionally. (Were you ever in the AVF btw?)

You might need to also reconsider who the pupil might be. For one thing you still have not discussed -- or alas revealed -- what the U.S. needs to fear about the NK armed forces that we don't already know of and about, and that we aren't prepared to neutralize. The thread topic is after all about Kim shooting down things American that might be flying proximate to Him. 

Edited by Publicus
Intelligence, counterintelligence, anti-intelligence.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, BuaBS said:

Aaaand that why NK needs much more rockets & nukes. To be a real deterrent , he needs at least a couple of hundred ready to go nukes + all the bio & chemical he can muster.

Leave NK alone and things will settle down.

I agree. Trump should have just ignored Junior instead of playing the saber-rattling game. But specifically to the topic, I suspect North Korea could be easily dealt with. Their rocket tests aren't impressive. They appear to be point-and-shoot. I don't think they have an accurate delivery system. As for shooting down US bombers: even if they could, they can rest assured they would pay an extremely heavy price for doing so. I'm not convinced their military is very impressive at all.

23 minutes ago, MajarTheLion said:

I agree. Trump should have just ignored Junior instead of playing the saber-rattling game. But specifically to the topic, I suspect North Korea could be easily dealt with. Their rocket tests aren't impressive. They appear to be point-and-shoot. I don't think they have an accurate delivery system. As for shooting down US bombers: even if they could, they can rest assured they would pay an extremely heavy price for doing so. I'm not convinced their military is very impressive at all.

For once I agree with you.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:23 PM, midas said:

Did North Korea, and Kim specifically win any war....ever?

Posters seem to confuse between the USA's capability to destroy a conventional army (and related infrastructure), and dealing with insurgencies, asymmetrical warfare and the like. The USA is extremely good at the former, as for the latter - almost all conventional armies got issues with that, not a USA thing.

19 hours ago, Publicus said:

What some seem not to know is that the U.S. does know what Kim III is doing and what he is up to. One is to use his nuclear weapons program to try to separate the U.S. from its allies Seoul and Tokyo....and all the U.S. allies of the region. Another Kim design is the Kim Dynasty obsession to "unify" the peninsula under its rule, sooner or later is fine by Him. U.S. is absolutely opposed to Kim's nuclear programs because we know also Kim will sell to the buyers who are determined to destroy us directly, such as the "third parties" you rightfully reference. (Pardon my yawn thx.)

If you might be dismissing absolutely that Trump would strike conventionally then you might consider packing a lunch to go to Pyongyang to stand at the statues of Kim I and Kim II for a while. Trump's hawk China advisers such as Peter Navarone from UC have Trump strong arming Xi Jinping, reading the riot act to the Frenchman at heart President Kim of SK and reassuring Japan PM Shinzo Abe that the U.S. isn't going anywhere because of Kim or for any reason. 

Did I mention Kim III shut up on firing missiles into the waters near Guam -- it suddenly struck him they might get blasted by Thaad and Patriot batteries there and also USN Aegis systems. I did indeed mention it and I reference it again because you keep posting things we already know of and other things you might need to brush up on occasionally. (Were you ever in the AVF btw?)

You might need to also reconsider who the pupil might be. For one thing you still have not discussed -- or alas revealed -- what the U.S. needs to fear about the NK armed forces that we don't already know of and about, and that we aren't prepared to neutralize. The thread topic is after all about Kim shooting down things American that might be flying proximate to Him. 

You think we know what KJU is doing and you are spouting the same rhetoric that has been said and supposed for years--capital Yawn. I just hope our decision-makers are better prepared than that. However, with Trump involved it looks grim.   

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

You think we know what KJU is doing and you are spouting the same rhetoric that has been said and supposed for years--capital Yawn. I just hope our decision-makers are better prepared than that. However, with Trump involved it looks grim.   

Trump is informed in the White House and in his administration by experts on the CCP-PRC and North Korea. Trump's China advisers are indeed experts in what is occurring. The only difference between the China experts of past administrations and the China experts in the Trump administration is that Trump's China experts are China hawks. As China and NK hawks through and through the experts are strident, they have strong views and they are aggressive in their approach. So you might want to get ready for a very tough haul up the road ahead.

UC Davis professor on leave Peter Navarro got the Trump wrecking crew's attention because he had spoken and written on Chinese trade, economics and militarism. Navarro is well known for, "Death by China" and "Crouching Tiger: What China's Militarism Means for the World."

Michael Pillsbury of the Hudson Institute is an informal Trump adviser. Since the Reagan dayze Dr. Pillsbury has been a national security interlocutor with the PLA and the Boyz in Beijing themselves. Dr. Pillsbury is the author most recently of "The Hundred-Year Marathon: China's Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower." The hundred years being of course 1949-2049, of which Pillsbury says, writing from the CCP grand design, “China  will  set  up  a  world order that  will  be  fair  to  China,  a world  without  American  global  supremacy,  and  revise  the  U.S.-­‐ dominated  economic  and  geopolitical  world  order  founded  at  Bretton  Woods  and  San  Francisco  at the  end  of  World  War  II.”  

Some other China hawks are Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative nominee Robert Lighthizer who was Reagan's trade representative. These among others say CCP Boyz in Beijing are already engaged in an economic war against the U.S. which the Boyz have extended into military challenges such as the South China Sea. They are of course right. There are others in the administration and in the public policy organizations whose names we know well, such as Heritage Foundation.

All of 'em are friends of Taiwan while also being the strident enemies of Kim Jong Un and the Kim Dynasty. They don't respect the Frenchman at heart Pres. Kim of SK either. Conversely, Japan PM Shinzo Abe is their kind of guy. These guyz know what Kim is up to and they know what Xi is up to and what it means to the United States. And they mean to stop them and it. Cold if necessary.

15 hours ago, smotherb said:

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Trump is informed in the White House and in his administration by experts on the CCP-PRC and North Korea. Trump's China advisers are indeed experts in what is occurring. The only difference between the China experts of past administrations and the China experts in the Trump administration is that Trump's China experts are China hawks. As China and NK hawks through and through the experts are strident, they have strong views and they are aggressive in their approach. So you might want to get ready for a very tough haul up the road ahead.

UC Davis professor on leave Peter Navarro got the Trump wrecking crew's attention because he had spoken and written on Chinese trade, economics and militarism. Navarro is well known for, "Death by China" and "Crouching Tiger: What China's Militarism Means for the World."

Michael Pillsbury of the Hudson Institute is an informal Trump adviser. Since the Reagan dayze Dr. Pillsbury has been a national security interlocutor with the PLA and the Boyz in Beijing themselves. Dr. Pillsbury is the author most recently of "The Hundred-Year Marathon: China's Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower." The hundred years being of course 1949-2049, of which Pillsbury says, writing from the CCP grand design, “China  will  set  up  a  world order that  will  be  fair  to  China,  a world  without  American  global  supremacy,  and  revise  the  U.S.-­‐ dominated  economic  and  geopolitical  world  order  founded  at  Bretton  Woods  and  San  Francisco  at the  end  of  World  War  II.”  

Some other China hawks are Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative nominee Robert Lighthizer who was Reagan's trade representative. These among others say CCP Boyz in Beijing are already engaged in an economic war against the U.S. which the Boyz have extended into military challenges such as the South China Sea. They are of course right. There are others in the administration and in the public policy organizations whose names we know well, such as Heritage Foundation.

All of Trump's China advisers are friends of Taiwan while also being the strident enemies of Kim Jong Un and the Kim Dynasty. They don't respect the Frenchman at heart Pres. Kim of SK either. Conversely, Japan PM Shinzo Abe is their kind of guy. These guyz know what Kim is up to and they know what Xi is up to and what it means to the United States. And they mean to stop them and it. Cold if necessary.

3 hours ago, Publicus said:

Trump is informed in the White House and in his administration by experts on the CCP-PRC and North Korea. Trump's China advisers are indeed experts in what is occurring. The only difference between the China experts of past administrations and the China experts in the Trump administration is that Trump's China experts are China hawks. As China and NK hawks through and through the experts are strident, they have strong views and they are aggressive in their approach. So you might want to get ready for a very tough haul up the road ahead.

UC Davis professor on leave Peter Navarro got the Trump wrecking crew's attention because he had spoken and written on Chinese trade, economics and militarism. Navarro is well known for, "Death by China" and "Crouching Tiger: What China's Militarism Means for the World."

Michael Pillsbury of the Hudson Institute is an informal Trump adviser. Since the Reagan dayze Dr. Pillsbury has been a national security interlocutor with the PLA and the Boyz in Beijing themselves. Dr. Pillsbury is the author most recently of "The Hundred-Year Marathon: China's Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower." The hundred years being of course 1949-2049, of which Pillsbury says, writing from the CCP grand design, “China  will  set  up  a  world order that  will  be  fair  to  China,  a world  without  American  global  supremacy,  and  revise  the  U.S.-­‐ dominated  economic  and  geopolitical  world  order  founded  at  Bretton  Woods  and  San  Francisco  at the  end  of  World  War  II.”  

Some other China hawks are Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative nominee Robert Lighthizer who was Reagan's trade representative. These among others say CCP Boyz in Beijing are already engaged in an economic war against the U.S. which the Boyz have extended into military challenges such as the South China Sea. They are of course right. There are others in the administration and in the public policy organizations whose names we know well, such as Heritage Foundation.

All of Trump's China advisers are friends of Taiwan while also being the strident enemies of Kim Jong Un and the Kim Dynasty. They don't respect the Frenchman at heart Pres. Kim of SK either. Conversely, Japan PM Shinzo Abe is their kind of guy. These guyz know what Kim is up to and they know what Xi is up to and what it means to the United States. And they mean to stop them and it. Cold if necessary.

I am afraid I do not share your optimistic views on our intelligence or Trump. Trump has been so wrong so many times on so many global issues, that it's needless to say, I take anything he says with a cellar of salt--remember, Trump knows more about ISIS than the generals; perhaps that is why he said we bombed Iraq. Although, I do have more confidence in our intelligence agencies than in Trump, the intelligence has been wrong numerous times in the past and that was on tangible items, like weapons systems. Intelligence is even less dependable on intangible items, like devious planning--you do remember 9/11 don't you? Consequently, I believe anyone who underestimates his enemy is a fool; therefore, I do not care to continue this dialogue.

I just read a brief history of Cixi, the Chinese empress dowager during the latter 19th century and beginning of 20th century.  China (like Thailand) never wanted a female top dog, but were saddled with Cixi due to a bunch of circumstances - tho during her entire reign, there was one or another toddler boy who was officially in charge.  Cixi would attend (and oversee) top meetings of men, but would have to stay hidden behind a curtain the entire time.  She both kept China in the dark ages (wouldn't allow rail to be developed there, for example), but also ushered in some good changes, such as banning breaking of girls' feet.

People who are making decisions re; modern NE Asia issues, should study past history in order to get a perspective on things.  Trump is the poster boy for knowing nearly nothing of Asian history.  He probably got most of his Asia knowledge from watching Godzilla or Kung <deleted> movies.

8 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am afraid I do not share your optimistic views on our intelligence or Trump. Trump has been so wrong so many times on so many global issues, that it's needless to say, I take anything he says with a cellar of salt--remember, Trump knows more about ISIS than the generals; perhaps that is why he said we bombed Iraq. Although, I do have more confidence in our intelligence agencies than in Trump, the intelligence has been wrong numerous times in the past and that was on tangible items, like weapons systems. Intelligence is even less dependable on intangible items, like devious planning--you do remember 9/11 don't you? Consequently, I believe anyone who underestimates his enemy is a fool; therefore, I do not care to continue this dialogue.

Don't give up the ship.

On 29/09/2017 at 11:33 AM, Publicus said:

Ground forces of the All Volunteer Force have been a national embarrassment so you won't get any argument from over here.

In Iraq for instance Army and Marines have been running Operation Desert Disaster from 1991 to the present. In Afghanistan Army and Marines have been running the ground conflict as if they were Burger King, i.e., "Have it Your Way."

USAF and USN have conversely been awesome. The navy itself does just fine when it is not banging into other ships while trying to accomplish the ancient art and skill of navigating from point A to point B. On the vast ocean.

Publicus, stop making offensive comments that attack the Army and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan. The mistakes were made by Washington (the US government) sending the men out there in the first place. So, if you want to criticise people, fine, go and condemn Washington for giving orders for the wars to start.

What other points have you made on your posts here ?  You go on and on about the 'hawks' in Washington, and how they know a bit about North Korea. You still being a Washington cheerleader ?  Look, viewers on ThaiVisa have not forgotten that you spent loads of time and effort attacking Donald Trump before he got elected. You was telling everybody how you was so sure about Hillary was going to win, and win easily.

So, although you hate Trump, you've decided to come back, and bang the war drum. About the hawks in Washington. Look, most people are against whatever pre-emptive strike against North Korea. Most people feel that North Korea should only be attacked if it attacks South Korea or Japan (or Guam) first. You're making all these comments against Kim. Look, Trump has just revealed that he has told senior staff to not bother talking to North Korea. Look at the other thread/post that has been put up by ThaiVisa, regarding Trump saying to not bother talking to North Korea.

Yes, there is a danger that the war-mongers in Washington are getting stronger. The war-mongers, yes, these are the people who want an aggresive policy towards Kim. The war-mongers, they want to see America attack Kim even if Kim does not fire a missile at South Korea or Japan.

4 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Publicus, stop making offensive comments that attack the Army and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan. The mistakes were made by Washington (the US government) sending the men out there in the first place. So, if you want to criticise people, fine, go and condemn Washington for giving orders for the wars to start.

What other points have you made on your posts here ?  You go on and on about the 'hawks' in Washington, and how they know a bit about North Korea. You still being a Washington cheerleader ?  Look, viewers on ThaiVisa have not forgotten that you spent loads of time and effort attacking Donald Trump before he got elected. You was telling everybody how you was so sure about Hillary was going to win, and win easily.

So, although you hate Trump, you've decided to come back, and bang the war drum. About the hawks in Washington. Look, most people are against whatever pre-emptive strike against North Korea. Most people feel that North Korea should only be attacked if it attacks South Korea or Japan (or Guam) first. You're making all these comments against Kim. Look, Trump has just revealed that he has told senior staff to not bother talking to North Korea. Look at the other thread/post that has been put up by ThaiVisa, regarding Trump saying to not bother talking to North Korea.

Yes, there is a danger that the war-mongers in Washington are getting stronger. The war-mongers, yes, these are the people who want an aggresive policy towards Kim. The war-mongers, they want to see America attack Kim even if Kim does not fire a missile at South Korea or Japan.

Iraq was definitely a huge mistake.  But not Afghanistan.  They harbored the guy who masterminded the WTC attack.  So if you want to ciritisize people, fine, go and condem those who ordered the attacks on the US.

Again, you focus all your anger on the US.  Without focusing on the real culprit.  Kim and his predecessors.