Pattaya: Uber to be run out of town but taxis ordered to turn on meters - or else!

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I thought Grab Car were just legal taxis that utilized the Grab app to find riders?

I'm surprised they didn't demand an end to those despicable BKK taxis taking backhaul fares...

BTW, are there really metered taxis in Pattaya?  I've never encountered one, but then- I've never looked for one.

you have been duped by the Pattaya taxi lies... whenever you ask about meters the usual response is no one uses meters in Pattaya. almost everyone has been duped into participating and protecting this lie!

3 minutes ago, soistalker said:

And you believe they are trying to fix the problem? Do you?

Yes, I do. It´s as usual going to take a long time with a lot of stops on the road.
I just live with the belief that my choise of thinking in that case is healthier than yours. At least I have hope for the future. 

36 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

What they dont want is making concrete promises that can be checked and which can come back to the people in power who will then lose face.

The message of today was VERY clear though....it was even unThai....

So film the taxi's without meter and post it on youtube, show us the link so your film will get many viewers within some days...that will work for sure.

1 hour ago, elnet1 said:

Turning on taxi meters is not a magic solution. Whats to say the taxi driver won't go the long way to get to your destination?  It happened to me in Bangkok a couple of years ago, I was not in the mood to be dragged to suit shop or jewel shop, etc, and I got into a taxi out front of my hotel. I asked the driver to use the meter and then told him I was all shopped out. The driver proceeded to drive me around a square and I probably wouldn't have noticed, but going around a couple of times, the traffic stopped I threw what was on the meter and then got out of the cab.

20 years ago i took a tuktuk in BKK who stopped at all tailors and jewelry shops but i refused to go out of the vehicle. When the driver didn't come back i started the thing myself and drove it a bit around, sure he came and wanted to be the driver again.

So we let him drive to some stadium with loads of exits...while walking in it we took another exit and another tuktuk and byebye mistel...

If they state that they are going to push Uber out and also force Taxi to use the meter, that sounds good to me. I am sure they are going to make a try. If its going to turn out as they belive or not nobody knows at the moment. It has absolutely nothing do do with the belif of what a bar girls says, in comparision to what police and authorities says.

I guess they still have a little bit of more wieght, for all that chooses to live in the real world, that will say.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic content reply removed

4 hours ago, cedel said:

Why not let the competition operate like in the Philippines? There now  the regular taxi's  have put their prices down to compete with Uber and Grab and all this is good for the consumer !! 

You are trying to get them to think outside the box. Will never happen.

Good luck with the turning on the meter thing. I am also confused about the economics here....if legal taxis face serious hardships, what do Uber and Grab drivers face as they undercut the prices charged by legal taxis meaning they must be on the breadline.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The taxi drivers had earlier unfurled a banner outside that said:

"Taxis in Pattaya: We don't want Uber - we don't want Grab Car. We don't want any illegal cars here".

Who is going to enforce this ?  ( running Uber and Grab out of Pattaya)

Besides Uber and Grab Car what about all these other non meter taxis around here?  Are all non meter taxis Uber and Grab Taxi ?

Or freelance taxis ? ( non Uber/Grab)

Edited by morrobay
add

Fair enough why do people always decry when efforts are made to clean up certain acts in this case taxis

" Taxi drivers must turn meters on, it is illegal not to do so. If they fail to do that top fines will be issued. No leniency. No excuses."

Get in and taxi refuses to turn on make a note of number and file the report simple as. Far too many just criticise whithout making no attempts themselves to assist matters

Uber is so much better because you can actually summon them when you need a ride.   Why don't the "taxi Mafia" have a central booking where you can call a number and order a taxi and they can send the closest free one to you.  If they offered a decent service there would be no need for Uber.

21 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Get in and taxi refuses to turn on make a note of number and file the report simple as. Far too many just criticise whithout making no attempts themselves to assist matters

We are guests in their country. Surely it should not be up to us to "fix" the problem.  When you go on holiday do your  file reports for every problem you see? It is the governments job to fix it. But that would require real, actual work with no financial reward.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Regarding the view that Pattaya taxis face hardship because fees they can charge are too low leading to not turning on the meter. "We have put this issue at the top of the agenda for discussion and possible change", he told the taxi drivers.

So the 'or else' is in effect...nothing

I think the solution is that taxi drivers should become Uber or Grab drivers and then everybody would be happy - except of course the mafia that runs the taxis. I live in Chiang Mai and Uber gives a great service. I would not call or hail a taxi as in the past as there has always been a problem. I use songthaews sometimes for short trips as their prices are cheap. I would never use a tuk tuk unless I was really desperate as they are much more expensive than Uber, unsafe, noisy, and smelly.

5 hours ago, mark01 said:

If you think Pattaya taxis will use meters, then you still believe in the tooth fairy and that renting a  jetski in Thailand is a good idea.

Not going to happen. Not going to be enforced. Not going to get 1 baht from me!

If you need transportation, RENT a Blue pickup ( Songthaew ) ,

they have suffered through many episodes , yet the regular routes

still cost Baht 10.- p/person.

Within the CITY - charter price B. 150.- up to B 200.- / trip

Outside City Limit - charter B 250.- and up . 

SUPPORT YOUR HARDWORKING BLUE pickups , although

sometimes they're a bit moody & have no smiles left .....

IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING like them, you'll be grumpy too !

6 hours ago, mark01 said:

If you think Pattaya taxis will use meters, then you still believe in the tooth fairy and that renting a  jetski in Thailand is a good idea.

Not going to happen. Not going to be enforced. Not going to get 1 baht from me!

RENT a BLUE pickup instead ...

In town B 150.- to B 200.-

Going out of tiwn B 250.- and up 

Screw the TAXI MAFIA , They will never use METER .