U.S. student held in North Korea died of oxygen starved brain -coroner

webfact

U.S. student held in North Korea died of oxygen starved brain -coroner

By Suzannah Gonzales

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A person believed to be Otto Warmbier is transferred from a medical transport airplane to an awaiting ambulance at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S., June 13, 2017. REUTERS/Bryan Woolston/File Photo

(Reuters) - An American student who had been imprisoned in North Korea for 17 months died from lack of oxygen and blood to the brain, an Ohio coroner said on Wednesday.

Otto Warmbier's death on June 19 was due to an unknown injury that occurred more than a year before his death, Hamilton County Coroner Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco said at a news conference.

"We don't know what happened to him and that's the bottom line," Sammarco said.

Warmbier's parents could not be reached for comment on the coroner's report.

The University of Virginia student was held by North Korea from January 2016 until his release on June 15.

Warmbier, 22, was returned to the United States in a coma.

The coroner and a Sept. 11 report by her office cited complications of chronic deficiency of oxygen and blood supply to the brain in Warmbier's death. Only an external examination of the body rather than a full autopsy was conducted at the request of Warmbier's family.

North Korea had blamed botulism and the ingestion of a sleeping pill for Otto Warmbier's problems and dismissed torture claims.

Warmbier died days after arriving back in the United States.

The native of Wyoming, Ohio, had been arrested at the airport in Pyongyang as he prepared to leave the reclusive communist country. He had been travelling with a tour group.

Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years of hard labour for trying to take from his hotel an item bearing a propaganda slogan, North Korea's state media reported.

Saying his son had been tortured, Fred Warmbier told Fox News in an interview on Tuesday, "As we looked at him and tried to comfort him, it looked like someone had taken a pair of pliers and rearranged his bottom teeth."

"Great interview on @foxandfriends with the parents of Otto Warmbier: 1994 - 2017. Otto was tortured beyond belief by North Korea," President Donald Trump said on Twitter following the interview's broadcast.

In response to a question at the news conference, the coroner said there was no evidence of trauma to Warmbier's teeth nor was there evidence of broken bones.

The coroner's report said that Warmbier's body had multiple scars varying in size, including a large irregular one measuring 4.3 by 1.6 inches on the right foot.

(Reporting by Suzannah Gonzales; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

THis American was abused by North Korea and died because he took an object

that he should have only took a picture of.  He did not need to die, and his death

is on the Leader and the people  who mistreated him.

Geezer

Is it 100% proven he even took that banner?  Anyway, nobody deserves to die over something like that.  Sadly, many do in NK all the time for stuff like this.

9 minutes ago, DLang said:

The thief should have behaved himself.

Maybe you should do some research before posting.  His theft if not proven.  Unless you can make out this figure in the video.  Impossible.

Sick comment.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/north-korea-video-apparently-shows-us-student-otto-warmbier-taking-propaganda-banner-a6938091.html

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

His theft if not proven.

Not proven?

He admitted guilt.

Was found guilty in a court of law.

You have proof that he was innocent of the charges???

Do you??

The thief should have behaved himself and held back from his thieving ways. 

Edited by DLang

1 hour ago, DLang said:

Not proven?

He admitted guilt.

Do you??

he admitted guilt in NK, everyone admits guilt there or they will face the firing squad with guns press against their skull, and its not just a small rife, its anti aircraft guns in some cases.

Why don't you try visiting NK and see how their court system works ....since you have so much trust in it.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Saying his son had been tortured, Fred Warmbier told Fox News in an interview on Tuesday, "As we looked at him and tried to comfort him, it looked like someone had taken a pair of pliers and rearranged his bottom teeth."

"Great interview on @foxandfriends with the parents of Otto Warmbier: 1994 - 2017. Otto was tortured beyond belief by North Korea," President Donald Trump said on Twitter following the interview's broadcast.

In response to a question at the news conference, the coroner said there was no evidence of trauma to Warmbier's teeth nor was there evidence of broken bones.

Seems like the official report and what the family and Fox are claiming conflict quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, mike324 said:

he admitted guilt in NK, everyone admits guilt there or they will face the firing squad with guns press against their skull, and its not just a small rife, its anti aircraft guns in some cases.

Why don't you try visiting NK and see how their court system works ....since you have so much trust in it.

Had any personal experience with it yourself, have you?

7 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Himself to blame and no one else.

Nobody deserves to die for a foolish stunt, I for one have done a few foolish things when young and inpetulant.

It sounds like the plastic bag treatment, put a bag over the person's head until they pass out then revive them and do it all over again ,

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Nobody deserves to die for a foolish stunt, I for one have done a few foolish things when young and inpetulant.

It sounds like the plastic bag treatment, put a bag over the person's head until they pass out then revive them and do it all over again ,

The North Koreans are a perinoid people, something like the Americans. If this young man did do something out of line, or not, the Isreal stamps in his passport may have got his captors thinking they had some sort of spy. Torture seems to be an option in both those nations too. Very sad. My condolences to his family and friends. To our American friends please explain to your kids they have to be carefull when traveling because of  their government's foreign policies.

Edited by pegman

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

I had very similar thoughts.  (If we could just get hold of some of those guards and waterboard them, we might find out what happened.)

Seems strange to me that the parents refused a detailed autopsy, but speak of evidence of torture.  I would think they would seek the truth, though painful.  I can, however, sympathize. I requested the autopsy report for my 20 year old son who was killed in Iraq by a rocket propelled grenade.  "Ruptured eyes, near-amputation of the left arm..."  I put it away for later reading, 12+ years ago.  I never looked inside the box that came back.

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I had very similar thoughts.  (If we could just get hold of some of those guards and waterboard them, we might find out what happened.)

Seems strange to me that the parents refused a detailed autopsy, but speak of evidence of torture.  I would think they would seek the truth, though painful.  I can, however, sympathize. I requested the autopsy report for my 20 year old son who was killed in Iraq by a rocket propelled grenade.  "Ruptured eyes, near-amputation of the left arm..."  I put it away for later reading, 12+ years ago.  I never looked inside the box that came back.

So sorry. Lot of people died for nothing back them.

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

So sorry. Lot of people died for nothing back them.

As my son once wrote:  "... I didn't join up to be part of some government conspiracy--I joined because I thought it was just one small way that I could contribute to the people of this country... although the discipline didn't hurt much either. ..... Given a choice and an opportunity, I'd gladly do my part to "restructure" the commercial institutions that poison the society whose flag will one day be draped over my coffin. [/rant] "  Full rant (about 1/3 of the way down) and more here:  http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0506/S00268.htm

In this case, a naive kid went to a place he never should have, and got caught in the tentacles of a monster (NORK). The PPP party (prestige, power & paranoia) saw to his demise.  Made them feel good to see a harmless pawn squirm.

16 hours ago, DLang said:

Not proven?

He admitted guilt.

Do you??

He admitted guilt while having a gun pointed at his head. LOL.  He was never tried in a proper court.

Innocent until proven guilty.  That video proves nothing.  Read my link.  It's very educational.

As far as we know, Otto did behave himself.  We've got no proof otherwise.  Except that he was tortured.  Great country to do that for a "supposed" crime.

4 hours ago, pegman said:

The North Koreans are a perinoid people, something like the Americans. If this young man did do something out of line, or not, the Isreal stamps in his passport may have got his captors thinking they had some sort of spy. Torture seems to be an option in both those nations too. Very sad. My condolences to his family and friends. To our American friends please explain to your kids they have to be carefull when traveling because of  their government's foreign policies.

You're comparing North Koreans to Americans?  My gosh.  Truly bizarre.  You obviously know little about both nationalities.

Otto Warmbier's death on June 19 was due to an unknown injury that occurred more than a year before his death,

So according to the US coroner, his death was due to an unknown injury that occurred long before he even visited DPRK.

So if true, it sounds like he became seriously ill during his detention in DPRK and the Koreans had no idea why he was so ill (since they hadn't yet beat the sh*t out of him), and wanted him off their hands asap.

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So according to the US coroner, his death was due to an unknown injury that occurred long before he even visited DPRK.

So if true, it sounds like he became seriously ill during his detention in DPRK and the Koreans had no idea why he was so ill (since they hadn't yet beat the sh*t out of him), and wanted him off their hands asap.

He was in jail for 17 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier

Approximately one month after his sentencing,[4] Warmbier suffered severe neurological injury from an unknown cause. North Korean authorities did not disclose his medical condition until June 2017, when they announced he had fallen into a coma as a result of botulism and a sleeping pill.[5] The United States made diplomatic efforts to seek Warmbier's release, and Warmbier was freed in June 2017, in a comatose state after 17 months in captivity.

16 hours ago, mike324 said:

Interesting.

You have proof that this happened to the thief?

Nope. Now you're just trolling.

If the thief behaved himself and didn't steal, his parents would still have their son.

18 minutes ago, DLang said:

Interesting.

You have proof that this happened to the thief?

Nope. Now you're just trolling.

If the thief behaved himself and didn't steal, his parents would still have their son.

Those who've made confessions in NK and were released have said they were forced.  It's easy to research that if you are truly interested.  Right on the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier#Arrest

Former prisoners of North Korea have later recanted their confessions after their release, stating they were made under duress.

Human Rights Watch called the hearing a kangaroo court[55] and described the sentencing as "outrageous and shocking."

Stop calling him a thief.  Talk about trolling.