Eva Air any good?

toast1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If you want a direct flight its either BA or Eva or Thai. I would take Eva. Eva's prices aren't always low so if you have the opportunity for a cheap one from London snap it up!

I noticed TG using the new A350's into heathrow so if the airfares ok that could be an option.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Eva was always good, how is it lately regarding to the amount of crying babies on their flights? Do they give free seats to babies?

The last  three flights I have taken appear to be a fair few babies with half a dozen or more adults each, all boarding first, then the 'invalids' boarding before them,along with another half a dozen extras seem to be becoming the norm,Babies should not really fly because their brains are affected and the reason they seem to cry non-stop, I'm not knocking genuine cases but I have seen people being wheel-chaired on to the flight looking like death,then when the flight is under way they suddenly have a new release of athletic movement up and down between the seat rows.

2 hours ago, glasswort said:

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine. but personally I find nothing wrong with BA. Some may say that the majority of the female BA flight attendants are not exactly the most attractive in the world but that does not bother me in the least. As an aside,  a while ago my son was booked to travel with Eva from Taiwan where he lives, to UK via Bangkok. As a matter of interest I went through the booking process to join the same flight in Bangkok. My son paid the equivalent of THB 32,000 return but for me to join the same flight in Bangkok I was quoted almost THB 50,000 i.e. 50% more !!!! Ignoring the time element it would be cheaper for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok (THB 10,500 return) and fly from there. Crazy or what.

It is not unusual for an airline to price according to the market and producing what appear to be anomalies and some frequent fliers do exactly what you have suggested and game the options. Another example would be Cathay who now sometimes with special offers will price LHR-HKG-BKK cheaper than LHR-HKG.

Edited by SheungWan

7 hours ago, toast1 said:

Some very cheap direct flights from Europe to Bangkok on EVA Air

It's very tempting but the low price makes me a little worried

Have people had a good experiences with this airline?

Will not fly BA, looking for an airline that's reasonably comfortable in dreaded Coach. 

Used them many times between London and Bangkok.

Always had good service. 

3 hours ago, glasswort said:

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine.

China Airlines no?

"China Airlines is the flag carrier and largest airline of the Republic of China. It is headquartered in Taoyuan International Airport and has 12,607 regular employees.Wikipedia"

56 minutes ago, eddysmit said:

The last  three flights I have taken appear to be a fair few babies with half a dozen or more adults each, all boarding first, then the 'invalids' boarding before them,along with another half a dozen extras seem to be becoming the norm,Babies should not really fly because their brains are affected and the reason they seem to cry non-stop, I'm not knocking genuine cases but I have seen people being wheel-chaired on to the flight looking like death,then when the flight is under way they suddenly have a new release of athletic movement up and down between the seat rows.

Well i don't care if babies fly but i just don't want to hear them crying. In the A380 they should put them all together in the front or back so other passengers can have a quiet flight. That's why i won't fly Emirates anymore, had crying babies all around me.

I have no issues with invalids but i wonder how they will escape in a case of emergency. They shouldn't be placed in front of the emergency doors. 

I fly Eva, exclusively for the last 10 years unless I have a emergency.

There is a trick to booking on Eva,  you need to first know what has been the cheapest price you have paid from your destination. You also need to know the time from shortest time for the trip.

Here is why,  the prices change constantly on Eva, and they try to push you to unpopular times and flights.  When the calendar comes up you will notice a variety of prices click continue and that is when you see whether the price matches the time frame and flight you want to leave. I don't anything about Eva from Europe etc.. but for example Bangkok to San Francisco, everything connects thru Taipei, at times I check the prices I fine something really low, when I check further, I noticed the flight leave BKK, at 2am in the morning which makes a 12hr connection wait in Taipei.  Watch out the other way around too. All their cheapest flights normally do not include mileage.

You play around moving the dates around and you will see what I mean, you don't have to buy the fare to get the fine print.  If you see a date you like and the price is outrageous high it might be because you are booking late and majority if not all the cheap fares are gone, or it is too early from the date of your departure wait and the price will drop.

You will also noticed at times, it says 1- 2 seats left, bump up to the next price and it flight will be available but not on the lower price. You can check back the next day and everything changes.

Good luck

12 hours ago, toast1 said:

Some very cheap direct flights from Europe to Bangkok on EVA Air

It's very tempting but the low price makes me a little worried

Have people had a good experiences with this airline?

Will not fly BA, looking for an airline that's reasonably comfortable in dreaded Coach. 

eva air are very good.

8 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

EVA air is nothing special, on par with KLM and China Airlines (they all do the same route BKK-AMS).

So you can pick EVA when they have a sell, no reason to worry.

yes but only eva out of those 3 do lhr/bkk

5 hours ago, eddysmit said:

that  makes eva a bad airline, first or last on the plane, 1st, business  or economy you all leave at the same time.

6 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I noticed TG using the new A350's into heathrow so if the airfares ok that could be an option.

i think you mean A380's

i looked into it before and they are not on the TG flights still the 777-300's  i fly in November and that is the plane i will be on.( i presume you mean Thai airlines)

I think the intention was to have one flight a day(bigger plane) but they have decided to keep it at two flights

Unless something has changed 

Thanks for the info.

Most helpful. 

Off season I don't worry so much. I often use Thai, which is fine. 

But flying at Xmas can be tough with full planes and stressed staff, so it's helpful  to be in a good airline. 

Edited by toast1

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

i think you mean A380's

i looked into it before and they are not on the TG flights still the 777-300's  i fly in November and that is the plane i will be on.( i presume you mean Thai airlines)

I think the intention was to have one flight a day(bigger plane) but they have decided to keep it at two flights

Unless something has changed 

No the A350 is on at least one of the two daily flights on Thai I believe replaced the 777 on August 19th

Possible that the motor is not the same everyday

Edited by Chivas

On 10/2/2017 at 8:58 AM, glasswort said:

Being the state airline of Taiwan Eva is fine. but personally I find nothing wrong with BA. Some may say that the majority of the female BA flight attendants are not exactly the most attractive in the world but that does not bother me in the least. As an aside,  a while ago my son was booked to travel with Eva from Taiwan where he lives, to UK via Bangkok. As a matter of interest I went through the booking process to join the same flight in Bangkok. My son paid the equivalent of THB 32,000 return but for me to join the same flight in Bangkok I was quoted almost THB 50,000 i.e. 50% more !!!! Ignoring the time element it would be cheaper for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok (THB 10,500 return) and fly from there. Crazy or what.

I went with BA a few weeks back, I know it was during the strike period but that is no excuse for bad service on board. I have used EVA many times over the years and regret not doing the same again. Only chose BA because we went on to Manchester.

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

No the A350 is on at least one of the two daily flights on Thai I believe replaced the 777 on August 19th

Possible that the motor is not the same everyday

TG917 leaves LHR in the evening arrives BKK mid afternoon. I looked on flightaware and it showed the A350 everyday back to the 19 Sep. It probably goes all the way back to 19 Aug as you mention but flightaware doesn't show you much unless you register. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Just checked, you are correct, except it states Sept 19th and A380's to continue to run the lunchtime daily flight  

I booked my flight in june and when i enquired about the plane the only information then was about new A380's during day and still 777's on TG flights 

So a pleasant surprise for me to be able to check it out although probable little difference in economy

I bet it does not decrease the journey time though