Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

1 hour ago, idman said:

Shorts, singlets, flip flops are all find and dandy at a beach. However, unless you are dining beachside put on a t-shirt at least and wear decent looking shorts. Too many twatpackers and lesser educated tourists insist on dining in nice restaurants while looking like they came right off the strand. Sorry you ja..ckoffs but seeing your hairy armpits, yes ladies you are included, while I am trying to enjoy a nice meal is not acceptable. To add more insult these bozos, both sexes, who have taken it upon themselves to treat their body like it's the Sistine Chapel, aka multiple hideous looking tats. just have to display them wherever they go. Otherwise what was the purpose of shelling out all that money??? Nothing ruins a nice evening out in a good restaurant faster than having to sit near or even see these types come in wearing singlets and shorts to display their stupidity. Don't even get me started on the fad of wearing a cap backwards.

Surely if they are allowed in wearing such clothes, then it wouldn't exactly be classified as any particular fancy  restaurant. Like fancy clubs, usually the fancy restaurants have dress codes. 

As long as the majority of the body is covered, which even singlets will do, then it's no big deal. 

If they were loud and rude disturbing other people, then that would warrant complaint. Their fashion sense though in clearly an average restaurant? Also didn't know shorts determined intelligence. Maybe stereotyping might.

• Thanks 2

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, Pilotman said:

Maybe we should be  challenging them and saying something ourselves.  But I guess all we would get is abuse, or worse. 

Deservedly so too. It's none of anyone else's business.

In a town where the pedestrian lights don't work, the scammers are allowed to operate without hindrance, or with collusion from those that should stop it, and the people in charge never fix anything till it collapses, I think people have more to worry about than some old guys without shirts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Deservedly so too. It's none of anyone else's business.

In a town where the pedestrian lights don't work, the scammers are allowed to operate without hindrance, or with collusion from those that should stop it, and the people in charge never fix anything till it collapses, I think people have more to worry about than some old guys without shirts.

This is about inappropriate dress of guests in this country where most Thais are decent upright people, not screamers or scammers. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, rott said:

Not an argument at all just an observation about the number of different spellings I see, farang/falang/falung/ferlung/ferlang etc.

And the bit about getting a life and drinking less was aimed at myself. Self-deprecating humour is not a common feature of TVF so I understand your confusion.

it was meant to be light hearted. 

On 10/4/2017 at 4:15 PM, connda said:

I think the more important question is: "Why do you care so much what other people do, no less care about how they choose to dress?"  or "Why are so many Westerners obsessed with these puritanical values regarding dress?"  
And I don't want to hear that it's Thai cultural values.  Up until the 1940s standard Thai dress was shirtless for men and women.  My wife's mother and other women in Thai villages went shirtless up into the 1960s until the government put their foot down regarding a dress code that was forced on the populace in the 1940s.  And I routinely see Thai men without shirts on both in the city and in rural areas.  The general public really don't care.  So it's not Thai culture; it's Western puritanicalism.  And it was those Western puritanical values that the upper-crust of Thai society via government mandate that was forced on the general populace in the 40s. That was not the choice of the average citizen.  

Around a beach area in the tropics -- seriously?  :tongue:  "But they're not on the beach!"  But they are in a beach town and to me, that's close enough.  Have you every been to a resort town in Mexico?  This is what people on vacation do.  Take their shirts off and let their hair down.  
The folks who consistently get bent out of shape about this really need to find a  hobby other than getting outraged about other folks choice of dress while they are on vacation or out simply having a relaxing time.
Like the the shirtless vacationers - it's best to chill.  

This is a very interesting perspective. It applies to all facets of Thai society. What many not so enlightened westerners don't realize is that Thai society of today does not reflect the norms of the past. Much of what is taken as "normal" in Thai society is actually quite recent and mostly a product of the west. I didn't realize that as recently as the 60s many Thai villagers, women included were still walking around essentially naked. For some reason I thought this would have disappeared 80-100 years ago except maybe in hill tribe villages but as you say, it's much more recent than that.

A little off topic but still to the point of your reply - it was the American medical association - or more specifically the Rockefeller foundation, with its Asian headquarters established here in Bangkok since 1964 that applied pressure on the Thai government using the UN/WHO as its vehicle to impose a nationwide policy of medicalized childbirth from the late 1970s onwards. While in the 1960s nearly all Thais gave birth at home using a traditional midwife, by the end of the 1970s all urban residents and eventually nearly all rural residents have been giving birth in the hospital (today it's probably about 99%). Compare this to the USA, where already in the 1960s 99% of births were in the hospital, it's actually in more recent times that this has dropped slightly to around 97-98% though this figure includes hospital affliated birth centers which basically don't exist in Thailand. In Holland depending on the source 25-50+% of births take place in the home usually with a trained and registered midwife or occasionally doctor. Not that Thais can't have birth outside of a hospital setting, but the indoctrination is so strong that even poorly educated rural folk will head to the local hospital at the first sign of labor during birth because they have been told, through TV, school and their friends and family that childbirth is inherently dangerous (although they can't explain why, it's about obey, don't think). They are also told to "submit" themselves to the authority of a doctor (and never ask any questions) and this applies also whenever they get sick - get the sniffles and go to the hospital. Nowadays of course, every case of the sniffles is misdiagnosed as the "flu", anyone that goes to a hospital in this state is given tons of medication and probably a flu shot as well. Very few ever question the necessity of these things.

So in short, when enough pressure is applied on the government, they generally impose the most radical version of whatever and this is imposed on the Thai populace. There is also rarely any opposition to these sorts of things - at least not that I have seen much of anyway. For example, even in light of the controversial proposal to ban passengers from sitting at the back of pickup trucks earlier this year, many Thais were saying on social media, as long as it's imposed gradually it should be OK - "the government cares about our safety" they would say instead of thinking that actually, it's not the presence of a few passengers at the back of pickups that is a problem - it's the way the driver drives. This statist attitude concerns me, because over time such an attitude will eventually lead to a completely controlled nanny state society. One of the main holdouts at the moment is actually what happens on the roads - all that is needed to get people to comply is strict enforcement of road rules and draconian penalties for disobeying - similar to Australia for instance. I don't agree with such a plan though I think that in 10-15 years time, it may become reality in Thailand. After all these years it's only since last year that speed cameras, speed limit signs and fixed cameras at intersections, including at red lights have been installed and by next year there could be cameras everywhere, so I've been reading. This has been happening so quickly it's taken me by surprise, but I believe it is the beginning of a seismic shift.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2017 at 11:47 AM, VocalNeal said:

I could ask, why do Thais in my soi walk around shirtless? They even go into 7-Eleven. So Ok they are local and only 100m or so from their houses. 

But i doubt they leave the soi shirtless so same should apply to tourists . On the beach or 100m away in nearest 7-Eleven OK. But downtown in Tesco supermarket, NO. But then Walmart gets all sorts of weirdos. 

Much the same can be said about walking around in BKK wearing a "wife-beater shirt, shorts and rubber thong shoes. It is after all the capital city.

What a load of nonsense! If you were from Oz then you would be aware that singlet, shorts and thongs are standard wear, in the summer, for most people, women included, and for semi drivers year round! While this may confirm your opinion of the "great unwashed" in the land of Oz, we find it suits our temperament and our lifestyle.

Edited by TPI
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, idman said:

Shorts, singlets, flip flops are all find and dandy at a beach. However, unless you are dining beachside put on a t-shirt at least and wear decent looking shorts. Too many twatpackers and lesser educated tourists insist on dining in nice restaurants while looking like they came right off the strand. Sorry you ja..ckoffs but seeing your hairy armpits, yes ladies you are included, while I am trying to enjoy a nice meal is not acceptable. To add more insult these bozos, both sexes, who have taken it upon themselves to treat their body like it's the Sistine Chapel, aka multiple hideous looking tats. just have to display them wherever they go. Otherwise what was the purpose of shelling out all that money??? Nothing ruins a nice evening out in a good restaurant faster than having to sit near or even see these types come in wearing singlets and shorts to display their stupidity. Don't even get me started on the fad of wearing a cap backwards.

Image result for Tie but no shirt

I didn't know Wayne Rooney had taken up a new profession - maybe it's just a sideline!

2 hours ago, jimster said:

This is a very interesting perspective. It applies to all facets of Thai society. What many not so enlightened westerners don't realize is that Thai society of today does not reflect the norms of the past. Much of what is taken as "normal" in Thai society is actually quite recent and mostly a product of the west. I didn't realize that as recently as the 60s many Thai villagers, women included were still walking around essentially naked. For some reason I thought this would have disappeared 80-100 years ago except maybe in hill tribe villages but as you say, it's much more recent than that.

A little off topic but still to the point of your reply - it was the American medical association - or more specifically the Rockefeller foundation, with its Asian headquarters established here in Bangkok since 1964 that applied pressure on the Thai government using the UN/WHO as its vehicle to impose a nationwide policy of medicalized childbirth from the late 1970s onwards. While in the 1960s nearly all Thais gave birth at home using a traditional midwife, by the end of the 1970s all urban residents and eventually nearly all rural residents have been giving birth in the hospital (today it's probably about 99%). Compare this to the USA, where already in the 1960s 99% of births were in the hospital, it's actually in more recent times that this has dropped slightly to around 97-98% though this figure includes hospital affliated birth centers which basically don't exist in Thailand. In Holland depending on the source 25-50+% of births take place in the home usually with a trained and registered midwife or occasionally doctor. Not that Thais can't have birth outside of a hospital setting, but the indoctrination is so strong that even poorly educated rural folk will head to the local hospital at the first sign of labor during birth because they have been told, through TV, school and their friends and family that childbirth is inherently dangerous (although they can't explain why, it's about obey, don't think). They are also told to "submit" themselves to the authority of a doctor (and never ask any questions) and this applies also whenever they get sick - get the sniffles and go to the hospital. Nowadays of course, every case of the sniffles is misdiagnosed as the "flu", anyone that goes to a hospital in this state is given tons of medication and probably a flu shot as well. Very few ever question the necessity of these things.

So in short, when enough pressure is applied on the government, they generally impose the most radical version of whatever and this is imposed on the Thai populace. There is also rarely any opposition to these sorts of things - at least not that I have seen much of anyway. For example, even in light of the controversial proposal to ban passengers from sitting at the back of pickup trucks earlier this year, many Thais were saying on social media, as long as it's imposed gradually it should be OK - "the government cares about our safety" they would say instead of thinking that actually, it's not the presence of a few passengers at the back of pickups that is a problem - it's the way the driver drives. This statist attitude concerns me, because over time such an attitude will eventually lead to a completely controlled nanny state society. One of the main holdouts at the moment is actually what happens on the roads - all that is needed to get people to comply is strict enforcement of road rules and draconian penalties for disobeying - similar to Australia for instance. I don't agree with such a plan though I think that in 10-15 years time, it may become reality in Thailand. After all these years it's only since last year that speed cameras, speed limit signs and fixed cameras at intersections, including at red lights have been installed and by next year there could be cameras everywhere, so I've been reading. This has been happening so quickly it's taken me by surprise, but I believe it is the beginning of a seismic shift.

A lengthy but interesting post - I particularly empathised with the section about the doctors and hospitals:-

"Nowadays of course, every case of the sniffles is misdiagnosed as the "flu", anyone that goes to a hospital in this state is given tons of medication and probably a flu shot as well. Very few ever question the necessity of these things."

The hospitals and doctors here (except Govt Hospitals) are in the business of making money, and it's a standing bet among my farang friends how many different types of pills they are going to get when they visit the doctor/hospital, and how much they would have paid over the counter at a pharmacy.

I personally was visiting a sick friend in hospital, and while I was there, decided to get a "sprained ankles" checked out by a doctor. He asked me to basically waggle my feet up and down, and side to side, and said - without an examination - "OK, I think nothing broken - just bad sprain". No advice re treatment but he gave me a small tube of some Ibuleve substitute gel, (I refused the "painkillers - paracetamol) and I was charged 1450 baht!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

sexy.jpg.1e6d5d6dede1a41e25e9e54165a663e0.jpg
No body should be able to tell someome what to wear while roaming around. Having a strole etc ok hoy a top on when going into a shop but theres no law telling ya have to put a shirt on when its boiling hot .its up to the geezer or wifie what they do and wear. Thats my moto

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

<snip>If they were loud and rude disturbing other people, then that would warrant complaint. Their fashion sense though in clearly an average restaurant? Also didn't know shorts determined intelligence. Maybe stereotyping might.

If you're fat you're going to be even less able than the average to get rid of the heat. I'd also guess that there comes a point in a lazy-arse's life when he realizes that he i) doesn't have a clean shirt, ii) can't be bothered going to the laundry, but iii) has a solution.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, travelingman1959 said:

No body should be able to tell someome what to wear while roaming around. Having a strole etc ok hoy a top on when going into a shop but theres no law telling ya have to put a shirt on when its boiling hot .its up to the geezer or wifie what they do and wear. Thats my moto

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So walking round tescos in a pair of budgie smugglers and flip-flops is ok?

8 hours ago, jimster said:

... I didn't realize that as recently as the 60s many Thai villagers, women included were still walking around essentially naked...

In 1977/78, an old woman lived in a tiny wooden house near mine.  She would sit on the floor of the porch wearing a phasin and no top.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The primary thing to remember about colons is that you only use them after statements that are complete sentences. Never use a colon after a sentence fragment.

When you study a set of words searching for the main clause, you need to find three things: a subject, a verb, and a complete thought. If one of these three items is missing, a sentence fragment results. For example - " On the other hand: "

Considering the fact that English is not my native language, I think I am doing quite well. For this, I should get praise, admiration and applause.

And what do I get? A lesson in advanced English grammar! No wonder, minority Farangs (non native English speakers) jump off basement balconies in Pattaya.

"Sharper than a serpents tooth, is a thankless poster"..........:partytime2:
Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, swissie said:

Considering the fact that English is not my native language, I think I am doing quite well. For this, I should get praise, admiration and applause.

And what do I get? A lesson in advanced English grammar! No wonder, minority Farangs (non native English speakers) jump off basement balconies in Pattaya.

"Sharper than a serpents tooth, is a thankless poster"..........:partytime2:
Cheers.

Being Swiss though, primary language is not really a  swiss thing. You speak Italian english French and German I don't think you are doing badly at all. Ground floor only please.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

This is about inappropriate dress of guests in this country where most Thais are decent upright people, not screamers or scammers. 

Guests :cheesy:.

Guests don't have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to stay or have to pay much cash to do so.

I'm a paying visitor, not a guest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai men also walk around not wearing shirts.  I don't know what places you lot are living in, but in my village and surrounding areas I often see Thai guys, old and young, skinny and fat, walking about with no top on.  Also they nearly all wear flip flops and shorts.. sometimes old dirty clothes (when they have been working).  No one cares.  

You must be hanging around with some snobby want to be high so Thais if they are sniggering and making comments about guys with no shirt on.

Of course, it depends on the place.  For example, these Thai guys in the village would not not walk around the city center, or a shopping mall with no shirt on, or go to a restaurant like that.

But, for normal daytime attire, in the house, garden, farm of on the street, then wearing no top is fine.  

I hardly ever wear a top in the house or garden.. too hot.  Only went I go out of the property, or someone comes to visit.  

Nothing wrong with shorts also, so long as they are clean and in good order, not some 10 year old ripped ones!  

Also, nothing wrong with flip sandals either, what do you think Thai people used to wear before the western fashion of shoes and trainers came over here?  

Finally, no sweat stains all over my house either, because I am not sweating like a pig as am cool because no shirt!  

• Like 2