Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

On 5/12/2560 at 1:22 PM, Prairieboy said:

In the village where I live it is the Thai men many with pot bellies, others like walking skeletons, who are seen wandering the streets shirtless in public - even entering into stores and shops.  Are they too devoid of respect for their culture? 

This Thai culture thing get mentioned over and over. What is it?

Women going about their business topless would be OK for me.

I do not go into shops, eating places, toilets or bars without a T-shirt or similar on. A couple of years back I was fined at a police check-point for driving the pick-up shirtless.

In my local town the ladies wear more clothes than the men.

What about walking around bare-footed?

• Like 1

No, shirt!  Well I for one disagree profusely about uncovered arm pits in public places or transport, let alone no shirt. 

Is rude, offensive lazy and just plainly ugly.  I dislike bad smells like tobacco body odour.   Is offensive to see any of us in a revolting state of undress in public and more so when we have an overweight cargo hold.

I of course include  all sexes in this statement!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/10/2017 at 8:53 AM, bert bloggs said:

On these forums many times i have read about guys not getting "respect" from Thais ,well i have never been disrespected ,overcharged ,asked for a bribe (well once by a cop in BKK) and my wife and i always seem to be treated with curtesy .

but then we both dress quite nicely and speak politely .

i reckon if you walk into Tesco in a pair of shorts with your belly hanging out and with a very young girl in a pair of shorts showing her bum cheeks ,its not only Thailand where you will be laughed at or be spoken about in derogatory  terms .:smile:

I just don't believe the statement that you have never been overcharged. Sorry but it's just not true. I can only fathom you are blissfully ignorant of what Thais think and how they treat you. Carry on living in your bubble of it makes you happy and good luck to you in Thailand.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, Russell17au said:

I have been insulted as has my Thai wife and her family plus many of my Thai business friends by some of the uneducated and ill informed statements and claims that have been made on this thread. My Thai business friends and I always walk around with no shirts on and sit of an afternoon and have a beer with no shirts on, That is the real Thai culture until after world war 2 America pressured the Thai government to change their morality laws to co-inside with the Christian way of life, the same as England did in Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada and other places that they colonized. Because if this there are many true cultures been lost and many others have change because of interference from Christian countries. My mother-in-law will still sit around with no top on because that is the way she was brought up. In many cultures the breasts are not a sexual thing, it is only the dirty minds of the Pedophile Christians that make a woman's breast a sexual thing and therefore it is dirty for a woman to expose them even when she must feed a baby.

If we are going to a temple then I dress appropriately. As for the singlet tops and tattoo's then look at a photo of a German supermarket.

Wow!

You just about covered everybody and everything.

Is there anyone who you don't accuse of insulting you and your friends? :smile:

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Wow!

You just about covered everybody and everything.

Is there anyone who you don't accuse of insulting you and your friends? :smile:

You shouldn't have asked that a month and a half after his post - he's had plenty of time to acquire some more insults since then!

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Real question is. If your hairy to such a degree it looks like a shirt then are you truly topless?

When with my Thai family in beach areas I've seen them & other Thais break into spontaneous bursts of laughter when they see a shirtless hairy farang...I think part of it is embarrassment <for them & him> (rarely see shirtless Thais, even at the beach) + part 2 is the ape/bear like appearance....

On 10/3/2017 at 11:44 AM, kenk24 said:

Ok - which one do you take off to swim? Must be the long pants? So, you swim in a collared shirt and socks? 

No, clothing does not necessarily make for class of an individual, but I think wearing a shirt in public places is surely considerate of others who might not want to look at the the mole on their back while eating dinner... irregardless of having a good build or not. 

"regardless" is a word.

"irregardless" ...  not so much.

20 minutes ago, papa al said:

"regardless" is a word.

"irregardless" ...  not so much.

Actually, it IS a word.

Is irregardless a word?

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

• Like 1

I live at the beach.  So I always wear a tank top and shorts.  Now that it's gotten quite cool some days i wear a nice tight golf shirt and jeans and nice shows.  I find it fascinating how much just the change effects my interaction with the girls.  Seems so superficial but it part of the fun.

Lived in SoCal for 32 years.  It was always shorts and tee shirts or tank tops unless it was too cool.  i do like the "different" play I get of course never forget "Money number one"

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I live at the beach.  So I always wear a tank top and shorts.  Now that it's gotten quite cool some days i wear a nice tight golf shirt and jeans and nice shows.  I find it fascinating how much just the change effects my interaction with the girls.  Seems so superficial but it part of the fun.

Lived in SoCal for 32 years.  It was always shorts and tee shirts or tank tops unless it was too cool.  i do like the "different" play I get of course never forget "Money number one"

I found bathing and brushing my teeth increased interest in me or at least people will sit beside me on the baht bu now.

I guess if you pay for your company, it's only about money.  If you want a Thai girl (not hooker) looks, smell and manners make a difference, just like every other country in the world.

19 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

I found bathing and brushing my teeth increased interest in me or at least people will sit beside me on the baht bu now.

I guess if you pay for your company, it's only about money.  If you want a Thai girl (not hooker) looks, smell and manners make a difference, just like every other country in the world.

Well my Hygiene is excellent.  And never had any shortage, quite the contrary, of (non hooker) Girls in Southern California while wearing tank tops, shorts and flip-flops. If you spend much time around beach towns you'll find it's pretty common attire.

Fortunately most of the girls wore bikinis or bikini tops with super short cut offs.  FYI. You should spend more time at the beach... :giggle:

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, natway09 said:

The  Aussies are very bad at this. to me while a sleeveless or no shirt policy works at the beach or around the BBQ 

they just do not seem to have the mentality to understand that we are not attracted to dirty smelly under armpit hair

Never worn sleeveless T shirt in my life & I lived in OZ for 14 years

Sleeveless T shirt  I believe The correct  name for such is  a Wife Beater!:shock1:

10 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Well my Hygiene is excellent.  And never had any shortage, quite the contrary, of (non hooker) Girls in Southern California while wearing tank tops, shorts and flip-flops. If you spend much time around beach towns you'll find it's pretty common attire.

Fortunately most of the girls wore bikinis or bikini tops with super short cut offs.  FYI. You should spend more time at the beach... :giggle:

Fair enough, I am far away in a provincial capital miles from nowhere.  Haircut and straight razor shave is 100baht, I pay 700baht for my laundry and all is pressed and hung.  Manicure  and pedicure are 100baht, the car washed and cleaned 175baht.

Thai women are obsessed with their looks and I guarantee a well dressed farang is treated with respect in the hinterlands.

In the land of face, appearance goes a long way and most Many Thais don t speak English so it is mostly non verbal impressions that are made and Thailand has a caste system.  

I never leave home without it 555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Sleeveless T shirt  I believe The correct  name for such is  a Wife Beater!:shock1:

No wife beaters are the white "athletic" undershirts.   Tank tops have logos or art work on them  and are common in beach towns.  there is a lot to be said for keeping under arm hair trimmed very short...

• Like 1

Just now, isaanbanhou said:

Fair enough, I am far away in a provincial capital miles from nowhere.  Haircut and straight razor shave is 100baht, I pay 700baht for my laundry and all is pressed and hung.  Manicure  and pedicure are 100baht, the car washed and cleaned 175baht.

Thai women are obsessed with their looks and I guarantee a well dressed farang is treated with respect in the hinterlands.

In the land of face, appearance goes a long way and most Many Thais don t speak English so it is mostly non verbal impressions that are made and Thailand has a caste system.  

I never leave home without it 555

Agreed. I had almost this identical conversation with a friend visiting from the USA. Having lived in Southern California for 32 years it really is different from any other place I've lived as far as always dressing "totally casz"

Speaking a little Thai correctly, especially slang goes a long way...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Agreed. I had almost this identical conversation with a friend visiting from the USA. Having lived in Southern California for 32 years it really is different from any other place I've lived as far as always dressing "totally casz"

Speaking a little Thai correctly, especially slang goes a long way...

An easy smile, a sense of huour, a little Isaan slang ,  the ability to drink Hong Thong and soda.

10 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

An easy smile, a sense of huour, a little Isaan slang ,  the ability to drink Hong Thong and soda.

Its always funny how shop workers who see me enter often freeze like rabbits caught in the headlights of a car. When I see that expression I always say in Thai don't worry I speak Thai (I do speak some Thai enough for many things). Then the shop workers relax and i can get done what i came in there to do. This is near BKK near a place that will soon have the biggest Ikea in south east Asia :sorry:.

Speaking the language and behaving yourself always helps. You fit right in with that picture how you load your car :smile:

• Like 2