Entertainment operators asked to suspend activities throughout October

webfact

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, baboon said:

Why should there be any mandated obligation to?

Dear Baboon, it is called respect for the late King. As visitors to the kingdom we have

no right to disrespect local customs and traditions. 

12 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Quote me in full please.  Don't cherry pick my post.

It is within forum rules to do so.

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post.

In fact, we have been asked to do so in the past because quoting every post in full is taking up too much space.

1 minute ago, BradinAsia said:

Dear Baboon, it is called respect for the late King. As visitors to the kingdom we have

no right to disrespect local customs and traditions. 

Indeed but you will be aware that in the UK, for example, no such mandatory stuff exists and, of course, we all dearly love and revere the Queen.

I think the ruling Thais have started to read some western books to gain enlightenment; starting with Robert Pirsig and then Jonathan Swift. Along the way they have confused Zen with Lillyput and the practicality of motor cycle maintenance.

General Chanchai; why do you crack an egg?

General Joysoon; it's not why you crack an egg but more important which end to hit and with what instrument and how much force. Any egg can be cracked if you truly believe in Thainess. It is the only way forward.

Edited by owl sees all

25 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

God forbid that anything should get in the way of the farang's ostensibly enshrined "right" to drink himself into a stupor while ogling a couple of cruiserweight trouts in platform heels.

Believe it or not, many of the hookers some of you guys are so fond of happen to love their king and some might even take a few days off to grieve with their families.

Might be news to you, but there is no reason why they couldn't leave the bar and go mourn as long as they like.

However, they won't get paid while doing so, and some may prefer to eat and pay the rent.

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

While we are about it, tell the tourists to bugger off, so we can be miserable alone and do not forget to tell all the Thai business owners to do the same. This is TRULY AMAZING THAILAND,

Last night the local market blaring out music that rattled my windows. Plus another p[lace nearby playing music through the night, Reverence is obviously NOT in the THAI understanding

Only certain activities have to be "suspended". Everything else can proceed as normal.

18 hours ago, wirat69 said:

The End of Lent has been around for 2559 years... just in case you want to make more ill  informed comments!!!

No it hasn't but no point pursuing as we go off-topic. There was no such thing as Lent in Buddha's day it's a made up contraption hundreds of years later.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Might be news to you, but there is no reason why they couldn't leave the bar and go mourn as long as they like.

However, they won't get paid while doing so, and some may prefer to eat and pay the rent.

Isn't that what I said many would be doing?

Of course some would rather earn money - it's good they have the choice - but my point was that some idiots are predicting the death of tourism because there might be fewer hookers to gawp at or earlier closing times.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. You shouldn't order people to show respect. It should be up to each individual. Respect should be earned, not obligatory. Of course, in this case it has been earned and the vast majority will want to show respect anyway.

To say you shouldn't order people to show respect is a rather nonsensical statement, Barry. Thais already

understand respect for the King. But even to a casual observer, it is fairly obvious that many foreign visitors

are clueless and need to be reminded to observe local customs and traditions. 

4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

No it hasn't but no point pursuing as we go off-topic. There was no such thing as Lent in Buddha's day it's a made up contraption hundreds of years later.

Factual and the same with traditional Christian 'holidays' and the such. Introduced much, much later after Christ died and same with Buddhist, Hindu festivals. But, that said, and hyperbole aside, they have been around for a substantial number of years mostly to pacify the crying and wailing souls of those who generally are 'naughty' but will be 'good' for a short period as if this will 'cleanse' their egos souls. A man-made construct not deity.

17 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Isn't that what I said many would be doing?

Of course some would rather earn money - it's good they have the choice - but my point was that some idiots are predicting the death of tourism because there might be fewer hookers to gawp at or earlier closing times.

My point is that when some official dictates that certain activities should be "suspended" for a month, the people that depend on those activities can assume that they will be missing out on essential income to survive.

If they were to abide by the previous dictat that closures would happen only on the 26th ( and perhaps a day on either side ), there would be no problem, and this thread would never exist.

It would not be the "death of tourism", but for some, 3 weeks without income would be catastrophic.

However, some on TVF apparently have no compassion for those that work in an industry that they personally do not approve of.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Indeed but you will be aware that in the UK, for example, no such mandatory stuff exists and, of course, we all dearly love and revere the Queen.

Indeed!!

I loved the Queen of England 'til I was about 12/13. People said you had to. Then one day we went to a school evening function with my Dad and he didn't stand up for 'God save the Queen'. I was surprised. All next week my mates were talking about it. When I finally got 'round to speaking to Dad he told me he 'knew stuff' and when I got older I could find out about this 'stuff' too.

I'm a few years older now and more knowledgeable about 'stuff'. Less inclined to believe things because I'm told I have to.

5 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

To say you shouldn't order people to show respect is a rather nonsensical statement, Barry. Thais already

understand respect for the King. But even to a casual observer, it is fairly obvious that many foreign visitors

are clueless and need to be reminded to observe local customs and traditions. 

Yes, Brad, but undoubtedly most Thais respect HM they don't need to be coerced. Same in England there is no coercion toward HM but there is a genuine affection. It is a nervous and scared society that forces such things and it is not needed towards HM. 

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If this time is anything like it was a year ago, it meant that bars and such could stay open -- but were not supposed to LOOK open from the outside. So no loud exterior music, and no boozing on the patio, etc. But what was done indoors and without telltale signs on the outside seemed to be OK.

But who knows is that's how things will actually be enforced this time around.

Like I was reminded - "What happens in Fight Club stays in Fight Club"  them doing what they were doing was not legal, and shouldn't be revealed.

20 hours ago, baboon said:

Why should there be any mandated obligation to?

Because the king died. The last Thai king died long before all the bars and the sex industry were created. As a tourist or foreigner residing in Thailand: Learn about the country and its history plus learn and accept the country’s traditions and cultural do’s and do not... This all has nothing to do with the current rulers. The late king was the longest ruling monarch ever there and seen as the father of the nation. This requires respect!

2 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Less than 2 weeks ago the Government Tourism office announced that all entertainment activities could proceed as usual during this period. Then operators were asked to scale back and now they want these activities suspended . I have no problem with what they are doing but they should have announced their policy long in advance so that operators, employees and tourists could plan for this.

Exactly.  Clear, consistent direction with sufficient lead time to adjust plans and work schedules would be greatly appreciated, but won't happen.  Instead Thailand gets vague, last minute instructions to scale things down, leaving it up to the local man in uniform to negotiate, or dictate, how "scaled down" should be interpreted.

We may rest assured that there will be broadly differing interpretations, depending on the mood and attitude of the local bigshot.  If you happen to live in an area where the bigshot is an SOB, you are just SOL.

Just now, owl sees all said:

I'm not sure this is comprehensively true. Many come for the fishing, the Thai boxing, the lovely beaches and of course to experience warmth. I know a Swedish guy, whose hands were virtually locked in Malmo, have enough movement now to ride a cycle.

Slightly blinkers view of LOS there Ron.

Obviously, owl doesn't see all.

Especially sarcasm

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

For a lot of people in the north is can be bought for 500 THB a day.

500 Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are so stooche!!

Up here near the Mekong it's a fag and a swig of low khow (maybe two).

so, please someone answer the question...

what day will the rule be enforced and for how long ? 

It's for the whole of October. If bars/gogos are playing loud music or have outside bright lighting they are likely to be visited by the BIB! Otherwise not much will be different.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, brommers said:

Smutcakes it was the end of Buddhist Lent, Awk Phansa, and a mandatory alcohol free day since 2015. 

If entertainment venues have to suspend their shows etc for a month a whole lot of businesses will go broke. A friend had budgeted for up to four days without a show in his successful bar would now be faced with a six figure salary bill, which he could not afford. This would put 26 people out of work. Sure to get a lot of support for those in power at the promised election. Not.

All previous information put out by government has allowed for shows etc to continue on a cut back form but this new directive seems draconian to say the least.

26 people in his bar. How many are prostitutes?. If any are, then no doubt he will be deprived of his pimping fees (bar fines).