Thaksin faces more agony

rooster59

Thaksin faces more agony

By THE NATION

02ec7b9528b09b4b09511f50e753bb42.jpeg

NEW ATTORNEY-GENERAL VOWS TO REVIVE CASES SUSPENDED SINCE FORMER PM FLED

OUSTED FORMER Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra faces mounting legal problems following the new Attorney-General Khemchai Chutiwong’s announcement yesterday that he would reactivate many of the cases that had been suspended against the fugitive.

The new law on criminal procedures for political office holders, which came into force on September 28, authorised the Office of Attorney-General to proceed with cases in absentia, he said. 

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders had suspended many cases against Thaksin since he fled the country nearly a decade ago. 

While the previous process did not allow court trials in absentia, Article 69 of the new law stipulates that legal procedures can be continued, unless they are finalised before the new law takes effect. 

Article 28 also says that the Supreme Court can deliberate cases in absentia if defendants fail to appear before the court. 

The Attorney-General said he would set up a panel to explore reopening Thaksin’s cases but had not given it a specific deadline.

The panel could present a request to pursue the cases to the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders, he said. 

Two of Thaksin’s cases that were temporarily disposed of by the court are an accusation of fraud over a Krungthai Bank loan and a violation of excise tax relating to satellite and mobile telephone concessions, he said.

Several other cases have been suspended since he fled Thailand.

Thaksin went into exile when the court was about to deliver its verdict over the Ratchadaphisek land deal in 2008.

He was found guilty of a conflict of interest while he was prime minister by facilitating the purchase by his ex-wife, Khunying Potjaman Na Pombejra, of 33 rai of land from the Bank of Thailand’s Finance Development Fund at a discounted price.

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced him to two years’ imprisonment on October 21, 2008.

ad500bef4d6f788ff3fab5ef8e558501.jpeg

Khemchai declined to comment on other cases handled by the National Anti-Corruption Commission, saying it was up to the agency to consider whether they would fall under the new law and could be pursued. 

Asked if he had been ordered to target the former premier, Khemchai said it was the job of his office to consider the implications of the new law. It was then up to the to rule on the request. 

If his office failed to pursue the cases, it could be subject to criticism, he said.

Thaksin is in Dubai after spending time with his family in London last month. His youngest daughter, Paetongtarn, posted a photo on Thursday of her father in his Dubai residence on her Facebook account, Ing Shinawatra.

The Attorney-General’s Office has agreed to a police request to formally charge Thaksin with lese majeste and violation of the Computer Act.

The charge relates to Thaksin’s statement in 2015 when he allegedly made contentious statements in an interview about who was behind a coup that ousted him in September 2006, Khemchai said.

Khemchai was speaking during his first press conference yesterday after becoming Attorney-General. 

He said the next step would be to locate Thaksin and issue an arrest warrant. Once his whereabouts were confirmed, Thai authorities would ask for his extradition, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30328653

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-07

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

OUSTED FORMER Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra faces mounting legal problems following the new Attorney-General Khemchai Chutiwong’s announcement yesterday that he would reactivate many of the cases that had been suspended against the fugitive.

No, he really does not face any legal problems. He won't be back and he won't be extradited.

No matter what you think of him, Thaksin is a former Prime Minister who was removed from power (please spare me the technicalities) by the PTB, and thus won't ever be extradited. People removed in such a fashion aren't extradited; It just isn't done in international affairs.

Thaksin's one chance to return to Thailand was in 2013, but it failed.

He ain't ever coming back, so perhaps it is time for everyone to move on.

Edited by Samui Bodoh

47 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Once his whereabouts were confirmed, Thai authorities would ask for his extradition, he said.

whomever said that is foolish; there are few countries that thailand has extradition treaties with and a devious fellow like thaksin wont travel inside of them should any extradition formalities exist

Given that he isn't coming back and so will never suffer the consequences of any judgments, I doubt he will lose much sleep over new cases. Given also that the authorities know he isn't coming back, one wonders why they would bother.

Serves the Military government to keep talking about the Thaksins And making plans for their extradition . Keeps the peasants mind off their failings! Oh when’s the latest election date now.....2019 and counting

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good news ..... him & his sister are convicted criminals.

And how can that be good news?? Today that is as irrelevant as it can be. Focus on theese persons will only have negative influence on getting an elected government.

Because, you just can´t be happy as it is. Oh, no, I forgot. You are! :crazy:

I'll bet, and give decent odds that he'll get an amnesty sooner or later.

Not passing judgment on whether that's a good thing, or bad. 

Just betting that it will happen- with the caveat that every time it looks like it may happen, there will be a coup to prevent the legally elected officials from passing the amnesty. 

And that is definitely a bad thing.  The question is, which is worse?  I have my opinion, but it means boo-diddly-squat.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'll bet, and give decent odds that he'll get an amnesty sooner or later.

Not passing judgment on whether that's a good thing, or bad. 

Just betting that it will happen- with the caveat that every time it looks like it may happen, there will be a coup to prevent the legally elected officials from passing the amnesty. 

And that is definitely a bad thing.  The question is, which is worse?  I have my opinion, but it means boo-diddly-squat.

Show me your odds........    I have  1,000 Baht says it will not happen.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

good news ..... him & his sister are convicted criminals.

while some holding office here are unconvicted, don't think anyone leading a coup ever has been. They talk bout reconciliation but still want to press charges against their enemies, defaming the army and some of the other 'crimes' are pathetic.

May I suggest to the new AG to do the easy stuffs first than chasing the tail of someone not in the country. Cases like Suthep's Phuket land scam, police station corruption, orders to CRES to use lethal weapons, Ahbisit "strong Thailand" corruption cases and even his rice quarantee scheme. These people still in Thailand walking the street and feeling untouchable. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

May I suggest to the new AG to do the easy stuffs first than chasing the tail of someone not in the country. Cases like Suthep's Phuket land scam, police station corruption, orders to CRES to use lethal weapons, Ahbisit "strong Thailand" corruption cases and even his rice quarantee scheme. These people still in Thailand walking the street and feeling untouchable. 

that would be actually doing something

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

No, he really does not face any legal problems. He won't be back and he won't be extradited.

No matter what you think of him, Thaksin is a former Prime Minister who was removed from power (please spare me the technicalities) by the PTB, and thus won't ever be extradited. People removed in such a fashion aren't extradited; It just isn't done in international affairs.

Thaksin's one chance to return to Thailand was in 2013, but it failed.

He ain't ever coming back, so perhaps it is time for everyone to move on.

If they prove these cases then it shows more and more that he is just an ordinary criminal who loves to steal from the country. So it money well spend if they can prove it. However even the YL case that was clear cut and a proven guilty is denied here.. so maybe it does not matter some people will believe in Shin innocence what so ever. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Just by chronological order Thaksin goes first... his cases are far older. You yourself brought that point up when they convicted YL, now when its about Thaksin it does not count ?

And I hope they get Suthep, as for Abisith rice program hard to do anything about it as they did not do anything about YL her far more damaging rice program but only about the corruption she knowingly let happen. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

If they prove these cases then it shows more and more that he is just an ordinary criminal who loves to steal from the country. So it money well spend if they can prove it. However even the YL case that was clear cut and a proven guilty is denied here.. so maybe it does not matter some people will believe in Shin innocence what so ever. 

"Shin innocence" isn't even believed in by the Clan's redshirt supporters.

Typical of that attitude is my wife, who says: all politicians are crooks.

What is at issue here is government by corrupt civilians or the default military regime.

Tell me again how many army coups there have been since 1932.

2 minutes ago, VillageIdiot said:

What is at issue here is government by corrupt civilians or the default military regime.

Thank goodness someone talks sense here.

Any and all politicians  be they military or civilian have done far more harm than good by their alledged well meaning interventions and policies in Thailand. And that has never  been more obvious or apparent than during the past 15 years.

Utter shysters the whole lot of em

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

Thank goodness someone talks sense here.

Any and all politicians  be they military or civilian have done far more harm than good by their alledged well meaning interventions and policies in Thailand. And that has never  been more obvious or apparent than during the past 15 years.

Utter shysters the whole lot of em

Spot on, jon.

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just by chronological order Thaksin goes first... his cases are far older. You yourself brought that point up when they convicted YL, now when its about Thaksin it does not count ?

And I hope they get Suthep, as for Abisith rice program hard to do anything about it as they did not do anything about YL her far more damaging rice program but only about the corruption she knowingly let happen. 

I will agree with you that all corruption cases should be given be investigated, prosecuted, charged and convicted equally regardless of their wealth, power or influence. But you know too well that this not going to happen.

I am not saying the Shins are innocent but the judiciary process got to be even handed. Just how is that the military corruptions are not even investigated or politicians that are allied to the establishment have their cases delayed or activists helping to stage the coup are not brought to justice or the sons and daughters of wealthy influential families don't do to jail. By the way, Suthep land case goes back to Chuan'a government long before Thaksin appear in the political arena. 

34 minutes ago, VillageIdiot said:

Good concise appraisal, I have seen this attitude on Thai media sites. The inference being, if all governing options are equal in the eyes of the people, then choose the one that historically provided a thriving economy...to be fair the current government appears to be attempting positive actions for example the farmers, elderly, and poor have received handouts. But have the  current government the ability to stimulate the economy and create revenue to consistently benefit the people at the lower end of the income scale.

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

But have the  current government the ability to stimulate the economy and create revenue to consistently benefit the people at the lower end of the income scale.

The coup was staged not for the lower end of the people. It was done to ensure the establishment maintain their wealth and to keep the poor submissive. Look at those big projects which benefit only the rich, powerful and allied. To the poor, they give handouts which will feed them for few days but will not create long term benefits to lift their standard of living. Look at the education budget and compare that with the military budget. Listen to foreign and domestic investors who lament the political instability to make investment decisions. Coups causes massive lost economic opportunities and potentials. Some here still see them as the white knight. Delusional and short sighted lost souls. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

while some holding office here are unconvicted, don't think anyone leading a coup ever has been. They talk bout reconciliation but still want to press charges against their enemies, defaming the army and some of the other 'crimes' are pathetic.

'... and some of the other 'crimes' are pathetic.'

I guess you're saying that the bank loans case is unimportant and all OK, and just a giggle.

Any many more cases the same.

While this attitude to the law continues Thailand remains a third world country and makes no progress.

Wow. 

41 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Good concise appraisal, I have seen this attitude on Thai media sites. The inference being, if all governing options are equal in the eyes of the people, then choose the one that historically provided a thriving economy...to be fair the current government appears to be attempting positive actions for example the farmers, elderly, and poor have received handouts. But have the  current government the ability to stimulate the economy and create revenue to consistently benefit the people at the lower end of the income scale.

Look at some facts instead of the usual lies about lack of economic growth.

PTP just hands out money eg 500bt for votes and then silly scams - it never stimulated the economy.

The current lot seem to be doing better than 90% of other countries - maybe they should stay in power longer.

BANGKOK, December 19, 2016 – Thailand’s economy is expected to grow at 3.1 percent in 2016 and 3.2 percent in 2017, up from 2.8 percent last year, according to the 2016 Thailand Economic Monitor released today by the World Bank.

Most countries would be more than happy with these figures, but not you Shin lovers.

24 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I just did. Military budget 210B Baht. Education 493B Baht. 

Did you also look at the percentage increase for military and decrease for education? That's the point I am making. Military budget up 7.3% and education down 0.6%. New here?