Thaksin faces more agony

rooster59

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced him to two years’ imprisonment on October 21, 2008.

But who was in charge  after he fled from thailand?

Edited by muluc

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it always did seem slightly-odd to me, that you could avoid a court-case being prosecuted, simply by remaining outside the country. :wink:

it's not as though he won't still have his lawyers defending him in-court.

Just so long as this applies to all the others too, starting with the Red Bull kid.

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If the junta, and their justice system, were not so blatantly bias, the courts would be overflowing with the connected and their mates.

Undeniable, however, are the 

misdeeds of Mr T.

Bias or not.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I will agree with you that all corruption cases should be given be investigated, prosecuted, charged and convicted equally regardless of their wealth, power or influence. But you know too well that this not going to happen.

I am not saying the Shins are innocent but the judiciary process got to be even handed. Just how is that the military corruptions are not even investigated or politicians that are allied to the establishment have their cases delayed or activists helping to stage the coup are not brought to justice or the sons and daughters of wealthy influential families don't do to jail. By the way, Suthep land case goes back to Chuan'a government long before Thaksin appear in the political arena. 

I can accept that but logically Suthep's case should have been taken up by any of the Thaksin governments but for some reason it wasn't.

Have you any idea why it wasn't.

Personally I have no idea, other than a vague thought along the lines of,

"If you don't pick on me when you are in charge, then I won't pick on you when I am in charge"?

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Did you also look at the percentage increase for military and decrease for education? That's the point I am making. Military budget up 7.3% and education down 0.6%. New here?

However Eric, the Education budget is STILL more than twice that of the military budget.

19 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Undeniable, however, are the 

misdeeds of Mr T.

Bias or not.

You know, you are correct about the misdeeds of Mr. T (I will assume; I neither know nor care about the details, but I know he was not a great guy).

But, who cares?

Let me explain.

Whatever punishment that Mr T. might receive in a Thai court would be just that; punishment. It would not be justice. And I say that not to provoke a reaction or to get into an argument, but to try to explain why I (speaking personally) simply don't care if he is guilty or innocent, whether he is ever brought before a judge, or whether he is ever sentenced, or whether he ever goes to jail.

When you have a situation whereby only one side of a political debate actually is held accountable to the code of law/code of justice, it renders that code meaningless.

Did Thaksin embezzle some money? I think it is likely, but I think it is equally likely that his political opponents did the same.

Did Thaksin obstruct justice? I think it is likely, but I think it is equally likely that his political opponents did the same.

Did Thaksin abuse power while in government? I think it is likely, but I think it is equally likely that his political opponents did the same.

When one side is punished for an illegal act, but the other side is not, it is not "Justice", it is merely punishment.

I simply don't care about punishment.

If there is to be justice in Thai politics, that would be great. However, as long as it is merely punishment, who cares?

Please stop pretending that the case against Mr T is about justice; it is merely punishment.

8 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Whatever punishment that Mr T. might receive in a Thai court would be just that; punishment. It would not be justice. And I say that not to provoke a reaction or to get into an argument, but to try to explain why I (speaking personally) simply don't care if he is guilty or innocent, whether he is ever brought before a judge, or whether he is ever sentenced, or whether he ever goes to jail.

Would kind make up for the thousands of innocent people he killed 15 years ago in his drug war. Extra judicial killings he allowed so let him get the same treatment.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

No, he really does not face any legal problems. He won't be back and he won't be extradited.

No matter what you think of him, Thaksin is a former Prime Minister who was removed from power (please spare me the technicalities) by the PTB, and thus won't ever be extradited. People removed in such a fashion aren't extradited; It just isn't done in international affairs.

Thaksin's one chance to return to Thailand was in 2013, but it failed.

He ain't ever coming back, so perhaps it is time for everyone to move on.

I wish Thaksin would just move on, but his continuous backroom deals with senior politicians in the present administration, self-publicity via Facebook, etc., and his antics of visiting neighbouring countries like a mangey dog that has been kicked out the house for soiling the settee, but tries incessantly to sneak back in via a back door route, suggests to me that the man himself is incapable of moving on. :post-4641-1156694606:

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I can accept that but logically Suthep's case should have been taken up by any of the Thaksin governments but for some reason it wasn't.

Have you any idea why it wasn't.

Personally I have no idea, other than a vague thought along the lines of,

"If you don't pick on me when you are in charge, then I won't pick on you when I am in charge"?

Maybe Thaksin governments follow the judiciary process and do not influence or don't have the power to influence the agencies and courts to rush and target cases. I have no idea too but that seem the likely scenario.

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:

However Eric, the Education budget is STILL more than twice that of the military budget.

Rightfully so and traditionally every previous governments allocate a large portion of the budget to education. You think the military budget should be more? 

7 hours ago, maxpower said:

supporter.jpg.9fb7dfa7b25adff48e63b15b9cd43eba.jpg

I dont support the Thai junta but Taksins criminal cases are very corrupt and action was taken before the Junta came into power. So what is the point of your comment and cartoon. Perhaps it would make more sense if you substituted Taksin for Thai Junta

Thaksin faces more agony

Another typically shoddy sensationalist headline from the Nation.

You really do have to wonder where they get their editors and proof writers. Of all the words in the English lexicon  they always seem to grab one that suits their own silly view of things. I mean .......how exactly is a multi millionaire living in the lap of luxury in any agony. Has he got hemorrhoids that have just ruptured or what ?

Image result for funny editor reporter  images

32 minutes ago, gamini said:

I dont support the Thai junta but Taksins criminal cases are very corrupt and action was taken before the Junta came into power. So what is the point of your comment and cartoon. Perhaps it would make more sense if you substituted Taksin for Thai Junta

The cartoon is well placed, if you can't see why then sorry about that. 

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

No, he really does not face any legal problems. He won't be back and he won't be extradited.

No matter what you think of him, Thaksin is a former Prime Minister who was removed from power (please spare me the technicalities) by the PTB, and thus won't ever be extradited. People removed in such a fashion aren't extradited; It just isn't done in international affairs.

It is definitely time to move on and time to get rid of this junta. If they would to put the same effort in the case of Mr. Red Bull he would have been jailed three years ago. They have no idea about international affairs or they would not keep coming up with these ridiculous attempts. It is embarrassing to Thailand.

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Would kind make up for the thousands of innocent people he killed 15 years ago in his drug war. Extra judicial killings he allowed so let him get the same treatment.

That was a very saddening event, but do you have any idea why there never was any court case on it?

7 minutes ago, candide said:

That was a very saddening event, but do you have any idea why there never was any court case on it?

Could it be that the number of extrajudiciary killings were  exagerated or perhaps it will implicate the military direct involvement in the deaths.  

49 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Could it be that the number of extrajudiciary killings were  exagerated or perhaps it will implicate the military direct involvement in the deaths.  

Again you excel with comments that are blatantly untrue and you know it, just your attempt to twist away from the real truth. 

Your lack of morals is just staggering.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Mainhattencitizen said:

It is definitely time to move on and time to get rid of this junta. If they would to put the same effort in the case of Mr. Red Bull he would have been jailed three years ago. They have no idea about international affairs or they would not keep coming up with these ridiculous attempts. It is embarrassing to Thailand.

Perhaps you could get the facts right and aim your comments where they should be - attack the lack of attention to the case against the police. 

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Just a "technicality" that he happened to be illegally occupying the position of caretaker PM, a position he seized with no authority other than his own. And some still pretend he's interested in democracy. Laughable.

Up to now they haven't seemed that bothered about extradition, for reasons we can speculate on. Let's see if that continues or not. There are plenty of countries that would welcome a multi billionaire who might be generous to their rulers. Whilst he's arguably a person politically persecuted I would think most countries are also aware of his very unsavory activities. He might own a mansion in London but has no chance to base himself there.

I doubt he'll ever give up trying not only to get back but to get control and power; albeit through a puppet of some description these days. In the same way that those who oppose him, not for democracy or justice, but because they want the power and control themselves, won't stop fighting him and his family. 

Very hard for Thailand to move on in that context. There ain't no group moving it on!

51 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps you could get the facts right and aim your comments where they should be - attack the lack of attention to the case against the police. 

Touchy. Must have hit your frail emotion. The junta want to be in charge and they muscled in and now that they running the country and that include managing the police force. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Or there again it could be that his family were in power for most of the time since the murders?

Or perhaps the international embarrassment and loss of face is something Thailand doesn't want?

Many many reasons, which we can speculate. Doesn't change the fact of who was in charge at the time and who seemed to have instigated it does it?