Shed/Store room

Joinaman

On October 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM, jeab1980 said:

We built a store and  outside toilet.  Slopping roof (its our land next door  used as  a bannana orchard  and run of come leach field. Basic construction using four corner posts. Steel roof joists (someone local to you would rent out a welder and cut saw)  basic single breeze (thai block)  block wall with separated inner wall to create two rooms. Put two course of vented block on back wall of toilet but not covered metal work up so there is  plenty of air flow. Have put a guttering on to harvest water for car washing ect but nothing special.  Rendered walls in and out.  Then painted to match rest of buildings. Built an outside living area where mc's are just four posts  and roof.  Plus it protects house wall from the heat of the sun. 

You use distilled water to wash the car?

Never thought of that.

Water doesn't get dirty in the gutter?

On October 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM, sirineou said:

as jeab1980 did above, No need for load bearing walls and the associated foundation. Simply buy four of these  prefabricated columns with the footings on them already

Image result for prefabricated columns thailand

dig a hole, stand them up plumb, poure a footing around them and bury them.

Then pour a concrete slab, and fill the areas between them with standard issued Thai breeze block 

Have to build a lean to shower room to an existing chalet, and for that little weight something like this could work.

Maybe could have the foot up off the base, put rebar under (then concrete of course) to spread the load.

Or is that concrete in the bottom already?

EDIT see u addressed this in post 7

Edited by cheeryble

On October 7, 2017 at 6:31 PM, sirineou said:

I agree,

Steel is not the place to save money in structural elements.

I am in the processes of building a house right now, The plans call for 16 mm steel in the columns except on the second flr where it called for 12 mm steel in the columns. I guess 12mm might be adequate for columns supporting only the roof, but for the small additional cost and the peace of mind , I changed it to 16 mm

IMO Steel and concrete  is not the place to get cheap

Haha i remember your plans.

Actually the steel in the uprights is not taking load it is there to counteract shear and hold the concrete together.....which does take load.

12mm which your engineer prescribed, probably more than enough on your top floor but not if you have spans like Herr Naam whose place weighs more than a bunker!

Edited by cheeryble

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

When i rains if its been over a week or so between rains i let the water run off to land for half an hour or so it clears what bit of crap there is in gutters and on roof.

The water in the pot is clean and pure. I have 7 big clay pots/orns or whater peiple call them. If as it does tend to do here the water goes off for several days we use this water for everyday use i pump it into one of the two water butts that ate conected to house pump. Washing the car i just stick a hose in the clay pot and attach it to my pressure washer it drags the water through.

MIDFO

Good idea no residue.

i remember as a kid my older cousin used to collect rain to wash her hair. Now sadly departed.

Be careful building those external storage rooms and workshops. After I moved into my house 19 years ago, I built a 35 square meter workshop with 12.5 square meter front and back porch and a 4 square meter bathroom with shower.   It is block up to the Thai style wooden windows and then finished with Shera lap siding.  The roof marches the house.  It has it's own Consumer Unit and separate welding machine hookup.  It was finished about 18 years ago and I was really looking forward to having a place to "piddle" around.

Guess what, I use my carport to "piddle" around as as soon as it was finished FIL moved in and is still there!!

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

Be careful building those external storage rooms and workshops. After I moved into my house 19 years ago, I built a 35 square meter workshop with 12.5 square meter front and back porch and a 4 square meter bathroom with shower.   It is block up to the Thai style wooden windows and then finished with Shera lap siding.  The roof marches the house.  It has it's own Consumer Unit and separate welding machine hookup.  It was finished about 18 years ago and I was really looking forward to having a place to "piddle" around.

Guess what, I use my carport to "piddle" around as as soon as it was finished FIL moved in and is still there!!

Damn I was going to ask to stay there myself

52 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Damn I was going to ask to stay there myself

On the other side of my house is a stand alone outside bathroom with a Thai style shower.  I built that a couple of years later after my wife had turned the Gazebo in the front yard into a restaurant for the locals.  While it was being built Puyai convinced her to move her operation to the center of the village into the "unused" bus stop. If I was counting I imagine that it has been used less than a dozen times.  Guess who had the honor of modifying the bus stop into a restaurant which is still open being run by my niece.

I'm sure that we could work out a deal if your really in a need of a place to stay!

Had someone in village do that with a bus stop come covered area. Three months later it was a case of move or pay 300k, for the structure and the building of a new one. And the amphoe wanted ground rent!! He moved. Later found out his friendly neighbours complained.

The folks at Container Kings Thailand are building reasonable size sheds in Buriram Province. I have not yet seen the actual storage sheds, but I was shown photos and they looked significantly larger, far more robust, that the flimsy thin metal garden shed I saw last night at a home improvement store. You could actually walk into the metal shed made by Container Kings Thailand. The door was robust and you had the option of window with insect screens.