Houston...sorry...Pattaya, we have a problem!

Brunolem

27 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Don't be afraid......whatever happens and whatever will be flooded......the tunnel will stray dry. 

Even if they have to send in a few hundred city-workers with buckets to keep it dry. :passifier:

And the first of the Thai knockers erupts.

Despite the huge downpour, the tunnel did stay dry.  Like to apologise?

Of course, we would NEVER see flooding after such heavy rain in, say Carlisle (England), or Hoston (Texas), would we?  Nope, just total Thai incompetence when stacked up against the unfailingly brilliant UK, US, or other First World standards.

P

18 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Of course, we would NEVER see flooding after such heavy rain in, say Carlisle (England), or Hoston (Texas), would we?  Nope, just total Thai incompetence when stacked up against the unfailingly brilliant UK, US, or other First World standards.

P

Do they have tunnels in Carlisle ?

33 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

P

Yes, it is best that those from the West don't develop a snooty superiority complex. Towns and cities flooded after prolonged heavy rain is a common occurence now in the UK and accross Europe. In the UK, York, Sheffield, Manchester, Worcester, Tadcaster, Cockermouth, Hebden Bridge, Tewkesbury have all suffered horrendous flooding in the last 10 years.

Failure to dredge canals and rivers, inadequate spending on flood defences and drainage, and building on flood plains are the major causes. Sounds familiar?

Edited by champers

25 minutes ago, tomwct said:

That's what you get with very little infrastructure!

Apparently there is very little infrastructure in the UK........

image.jpeg.90468a654d218f2842a0260179a6389c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ad4bdb26715ba175548820a6429926f1.jpeg

Image result for floods in UK

Edited by oxo1947

1 hour ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Don't be afraid......whatever happens and whatever will be flooded......the tunnel will stray dry. 

Even if they have to send in a few hundred city-workers with buckets to keep it dry. :passifier:

THERE IS SUPPOSE  be security guarding the TUNNEL so NO water will get into it !!!

56 minutes ago, champers said:

Yes, it is best that those from the West don't develop a snooty superiority complex. Towns and cities flooded after prolonged heavy rain is a common occurence now in the UK and accross Europe. In the UK, York, Sheffield, Manchester, Worcester, Tadcaster, Cockermouth, Hebden Bridge, Tewkesbury have all suffered horrendous flooding in the last 10 years.

Failure to dredge canals and rivers, inadequate spending on flood defences and drainage, and building on flood plains are the major causes. Sounds familiar?

Yes, and it always staggers me that people who live in properties in a place called the Somerset Levels (an ancient flooplain) are surprised when it floods.

I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for defending Thai ingenuity by saying it floods everywhere, because that would be an insult to idiots the world over.

The top image is of beach road, and it's flooded.  If the beach umbrellas don't give it a way,  there's a clue to Beach Road's exact location in the name. 

They can't prevent a road next to the beach from flooding every time we have a downpour. That takes a special kind of stupid, as does defending them.

Anything more technical than a wok, and these so called engineers are screwed

The streets seemed fine by afternoon so I don't see how this is a big problem. If it was still flooded days after then it would be a problem. Otherwise nothing to really worry about.

this can happen even in first world cities.

1 hour ago, champers said:

The problems in the UK are caused by allowing building on flood plains. Typical political/ bureaucratic incompetence mixed with greed.

Pattaya isn't built on a flood plain, so it's problems are to do with the usual reason, bureaucracy, incompetence and employing people to do work that have no idea as to how things should be built.

The basic layout hasn't changed since the 1990s. A load of buildings funnelling all the rain down 3 main roads.

After they put in the really big pipes along Beach Rd it seemed to work reasonably well. Then they widened the road and obviously stuffed up the existing drainage, hence floods are worse, IMO, since the road was widened.

Pity, as any fool could see putting in really big drains at the end of the main down hill roads under the beach to take rain in excess of the existing drainage system straight out to sea would solve the problem.

BTW, is any beach left?

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Pictures from Sophon tv

I particularly like the new waterfalls !

59d9dd2b9ad85_sarcasmsmall.png.103979daca8dbf550ac1c246dc1ede77.png

tapatalk_1507419786144.jpeg.7c22b701e428766b35390aed75f41760.jpegtapatalk_1507419797818.jpeg.2d08aebeb024792aa924df8a449dacaa.jpegtapatalk_1507419804593.jpeg.ab3cb0090e9bcdc6ac6289abe240e14b.jpegtapatalk_1507419811294.jpeg.79360b2332baf9ce11740b02a748a5d7.jpeg

Classic. Now they won't need to worry about those pesky beach umbrella vendors cluttering up the beach.

I'd love to be the proverbial fly on the wall in city hall after each disaster. I can only imagine the meetings to come up with another "explanation" for such. I doubt they are actually thinking of ways to stop such happening again. That would involve spending money on public works, not to mention having to employ someone that actually knows something about drainage and construction.

We had a short rainstorm the other day up in Chiang Mai. Didn't last long, but a lot of water. Flooded the road outside the hotel. The council sent a truck with some workers to clear the drains a while ago, but they only cleared them where the hotel is and left them blocked further downhill. :crazy:

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The problems in the UK are caused by allowing building on flood plains. Typical political/ bureaucratic incompetence mixed with greed.

Pattaya isn't built on a flood plain, so it's problems are to do with the usual reason, bureaucracy, incompetence and employing people to do work that have no idea as to how things should be built.

The basic layout hasn't changed since the 1990s. A load of buildings funnelling all the rain down 3 main roads.

After they put in the really big pipes along Beach Rd it seemed to work reasonably well. Then they widened the road and obviously stuffed up the existing drainage, hence floods are worse, IMO, since the road was widened.

Pity, as any fool could see putting in really big drains at the end of the main down hill roads under the beach to take rain in excess of the existing drainage system straight out to sea would solve the problem.

BTW, is any beach left?

Sheffield isn't on a flood plain. The city was flooded because rivers, canals and brooks all burst their banks. People were rescued by helicopters from the roofs of buildings. Lack of maintenance (dredging) and poor drainage were to blame.

Ditto places like Hebden Bridge and Carlisle.

The beach is still here in Pattaya, and I am on it, but it is currently hammering it down. I hope I don't get washed out to sea.

7 hours ago, champers said:

The beach is still here in Pattaya, and I am on it, but it is currently hammering it down. I hope I don't get washed out to sea.

Your on your own with that thought Champers.......:clap2:

pistolating just off 3rd road also now,I left the walk on the beach when I saw the black clouds coming........:whistling:

3 hours ago, Phulublub said:

P

Sure US or my country France or Germany never has flood 555.Happen every year

Edited by pby92

3 hours ago, garbolino said:

THERE IS SUPPOSE  be security guarding the TUNNEL so NO water will get into it !!!

Looks like the Flooders' fallback position will be to find silly excuses for the lack of flooding and make more silly jokes in an attempt to convince themselves it really is flooding. So hard to give up that idea . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for defending Thai ingenuity by saying it floods everywhere, because that would be an insult to idiots the world over.

The top image is of beach road, and it's flooded.  If the beach umbrellas don't give it a way,  there's a clue to Beach Road's exact location in the name. 

They can't prevent a road next to the beach from flooding every time we have a downpour. That takes a special kind of stupid, as does defending them.

Anything more technical than a wok, and these so called engineers are screwed

No. You've confused "can't" with "won't." They might someday. But a few days a year doesn't upset Thais enough to spend the money & effort to stop it--in general, not just in Pattaya. As somebody noted, "It's normal" but particularly for Thais. Tourists aren't going to be out on the beach on those days anyway. You'll see the same different cultural attitude in a number of areas that are regularly exploited here on the forum for bashing purposes.

Sorry--I know you were feelin' SO superior to Thais there and that's important. Even figured out and informed us that the beach umbrellas imply a beach as evidence. Well done! :thumbsup:

Edited by JSixpack