Drink laws?

ryanhull

Hello all, just to update you. I paid 11,000 fine.

It would have been 8,000 I was told but as I refused the test it annoyed the judge who I was told was already quite a fierce lady by my police translator who might I add was a great guy.

I was also told if I am caught drink driving again in Thailand or deemed to be shall we say then I will face a month in prison. She didn't seem to be bluffing either.

I was very polite and although my translator said I should could say about my previous experience and possibly chop the fine but I never did and just admitted guilt and was as polite as possible.

I gave my police translator 500 as he sorted everything out for me even when I first got released plus sat in court with me for near enough 5 hours, had some banter with him, he said it's funny as people infront of me where doing a lot worse things like playing cards on drugs yet getting fined 500, but he also said he knew if a lot of Germans (dunno why he kept saying Germans) that got hard time mainly for drugs or visa issues, true or not I dunno but he was interesting to speak too anyway and helped me out too.

The moral of this post guys, don't drink a drop and get the uber app or pay 15-20k and spent a night in a concrete room. Note I took the cheapest option I now understand bar the fact I did a night in the slammer, bribe I was told would have been a straight 20-30k cash. Also note I was stupid to drink anything and more stupid not to do the breathaliser.

My translator said the best thing to do is blow but do not pay a bribe and go to court then you'll get just the one charge which will be 5-10k by the book unless I guess if your leathered.

Thnx again all

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Hello all, just to update you. I paid 11,000 fine.

It would have been 8,000 I was told but as I refused the test it annoyed the judge who I was told was already quite a fierce lady by my police translator who might I add was a great guy.

I was also told if I am caught drink driving again in Thailand or deemed to be shall we say then I will face a month in prison. She didn't seem to be bluffing either.

I was very polite and although my translator said I should could say about my previous experience and possibly chop the fine but I never did and just admitted guilt and was as polite as possible.

I gave my police translator 500 as he sorted everything out for me even when I first got released plus sat in court with me for near enough 5 hours, had some banter with him, he said it's funny as people infront of me where doing a lot worse things like playing cards on drugs yet getting fined 500, but he also said he knew if a lot of Germans (dunno why he kept saying Germans) that got hard time mainly for drugs or visa issues, true or not I dunno but he was interesting to speak too anyway and helped me out too.

The moral of this post guys, don't drink a drop and get the uber app or pay 15-20k and spent a night in a concrete room. Note I took the cheapest option I now understand bar the fact I did a night in the slammer, bribe I was told would have been a straight 20-30k cash. Also note I was stupid to drink anything and more stupid not to do the breathaliser.

My translator said the best thing to do is blow but do not pay a bribe and go to court then you'll get just the one charge which will be 5-10k by the book unless I guess if your leathered.

Thnx again all

you get your bail money back ?

you get your bail money back ?

Hey, I did not pay the 30k bail instead I opted for the non refundable 4K option off a random yet nice women? This is Thailand mate lol I got the impression she lends it for me and charges for that service. The reason I didn't pay the 30k bail is becuase my ATM has a daily withdrawal limit although it would have probably been the cheaper option, cheers

3 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Hey, I did not pay the 30k bail instead I opted for the non refundable 4K option off a random yet nice women? This is Thailand mate lol I got the impression she lends it for me and charges for that service. The reason I didn't pay the 30k bail is becuase my ATM has a daily withdrawal limit although it would have probably been the cheaper option, cheers

something not right there, you pay bail to leave the police station to front the court at a later date, once dealt with bail is returned.

You been stoooged or telling porky pies.

Edited by Techno Viking

On 10/10/2017 at 3:45 AM, Bill Miller said:

A dear friend of mine was under the influence, and pulled over to sleep it off. Too bad she had the keys still in the ignition. Second offense, she was deprived of her license for one year. Dad was a senior police officer, but that made no difference.
In the aftermath the walking and bicycling convinced her she might have a problem with the drink, and joined AA.
I am not judging you on that... just relating a cautionary tale. Been down that road a ways myself.

In what part of Thailand was this?

On 10/10/2017 at 4:27 AM, ryanhull said:

Guys I had two small bottles of Leo, when I say I was done before I was stopped at the roadside and asked to pay silly money and I had literally drank not even a pint,

How many millilitres are there om a small bootle of Leo?

What type of pint are you talking about,  a US pint (473 mL) or an Imperial pint (568 mL)?

Reading these posts you don't no ho to believe as each one is calling the other a lier .we no there is bent coppers in every country but on the other hand if it happens to the ones what think all coppers are straight .get real .you must not of been cappured yet and when pulled with no drink .but the breath test says you have then you will believe the guy in the cells .I don't no how any one can win these bent copps

Sent from my XT1562 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app