Operators preparing for the storm as Pattaya smoking ban approaches

webfact

39 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

kill 9 and not spend one day in jail, drop a fag end and spend 1 year in jail, only in Thailand, laughing stock of a civilised world once again

You have to be careful of who is the laughing stock because no one has been jailed for smoking yet.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

I was a smoker, now I vape.Thailand tells me I cannot vape, so while I am there I have to smoke,if I want my nicotine fix,

but I cannot smoke while I am on the beach relaxing.Vaping has no butts, no smoke only water vapor but I cannot do that on the beach. Also I cannot have a beer instead.Thailand is getting to be like N Korea, every action has to be thought and considered before doing anything in case you are breaking some obscure interpretation of the law..

I have no problem with any laws that Thailand may make, it is their country, but all laws should be enforced uniformly, not up to the individual policeman(sic) and the laws set out clearly so no one has any doubt what the law is.

A prime example is the carrying of passport at all times.Some places say a copy is ok,some places say you can report later with your passport.One district says one thing, travel 50 miles and that district says something else.Its all up to whoever stops you on that day.Same applys to immigration, one office wants this bit of paper this week but next week its a different one, go to a different office and its a whole new set of rules.Same same swampy 20K Baht or not when you come in.

Ban smoking, no problem, ban littering ok but enforce these laws the same all over the country, Thais, farangs should know exactly what will happen if they break the law and the Government enforce the laws they make.

Rant over

ps I know smoking is a filthy habit but my vaping is the first step in giving up.Thailand you are not helping me

I would love to stop smoking but I am finding it difficult. However I don't think I can blame Thailand. 

It's my problem not anyone else's.

Seems to be a trait nowadays that everything must be the fault of others.

Call me weak willed for not managing to kick the habit and I'll put my hand up and say 'yes you're correct'.

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

So lemme get this straight.  I can't smoke outdoors at the beach but I can smoke indoors in a bar.  Ok makes sense when I switch on my Thai brain.

No you can not smoke inside a bar either,that is another law that was enforced the first two weeks or so.Now you can smoke in most bars and i even see people smoke in restaurants.

I would love to see the smoking ban in bars being enforced again.

17 minutes ago, jvs said:

No you can not smoke inside a bar either,that is another law that was enforced the first two weeks or so.Now you can smoke in most bars and i even see people smoke in restaurants.

I would love to see the smoking ban in bars being enforced again.

Far as I know can smoke in outdoor bars.

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

I was a smoker, now I vape.Thailand tells me I cannot vape, so while I am there I have to smoke,if I want my nicotine fix,

but I cannot smoke while I am on the beach relaxing.Vaping has no butts, no smoke only water vapor but I cannot do that on the beach. Also I cannot have a beer instead.Thailand is getting to be like N Korea, every action has to be thought and considered before doing anything in case you are breaking some obscure interpretation of the law..

I have no problem with any laws that Thailand may make, it is their country, but all laws should be enforced uniformly, not up to the individual policeman(sic) and the laws set out clearly so no one has any doubt what the law is.

A prime example is the carrying of passport at all times.Some places say a copy is ok,some places say you can report later with your passport.One district says one thing, travel 50 miles and that district says something else.Its all up to whoever stops you on that day.Same applys to immigration, one office wants this bit of paper this week but next week its a different one, go to a different office and its a whole new set of rules.Same same swampy 20K Baht or not when you come in.

Ban smoking, no problem, ban littering ok but enforce these laws the same all over the country, Thais, farangs should know exactly what will happen if they break the law and the Government enforce the laws they make.

Rant over

ps I know smoking is a filthy habit but my vaping is the first step in giving up.Thailand you are not helping me

I don't see your problem with some of the things you complain about.

Always had to have passport, 20,000 on arrival, smoking is banned inside public areas.

While some places may not enforce those rules sometimes, it doesn't mean the law is different in different places.

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

My question is, if I was seen to be smoking a cigarette on the poisonous infectious sands by the Pattaya Beer Garden overflow, where the city dumps its slurry of raw untreated sewage and tons of trash from the streets into the sea, would the police wade through the slimy toxic sludge and give me a 100,000 baht ticket and a year in jail?

Pattaya_sewage_going_into_the_sea.jpg

n4Rubbish2.jpg

Yes, because it's your money they want. They don't care about the sewage or the rubbish.

Nothing like relaxing on the beach, digging your toes into the sand and have some idiots filthy ciggie butts stuck beteeen your toes. I’ve never smoked, love the beach and also embrace the idea of the smoking ban. Now all they have to do is stop the smokers from throwing butts on the sidewalks and into drainage ditches. Although like most other counties it won’t happen. Singapore is strict in smokers and it works there. Inwas in the UK last year and seen smokers outside the bar throwing butts on the ground even though ashtrays and bins are provided. Smokers you have brought it upon yourselves. ???

I made 5 attempts to stop smoking and finally quit totally 25 years ago. I would love to see people put in jail for smoking or for even holding an unlit cigarette.

Thailand is doing the right thing if you don't like it you can go to countries where you could smoke on the beach and throw your butts on the sand. Disgusting smokers! (Disgusting is an understatement)

So let me see if I understand this.

I have a cigarette walking around a kilometre away from the beach, flick the butt onto the road, footpath, gutter, and next time it rains the butt ends up at the beach. There are no laws against the smoking and even if I get caught flicking the butt away,  its maybe a 2,000 baht fine.

On the other hand, if I sit at a beach vendor have a cigarette, use an ashtray and the butt ends up in the rubbish, Thats a 100,000 baht fine.

10 minutes ago, madusa said:

I made 5 attempts to stop smoking and finally quit totally 25 years ago. I would love to see people put in jail for smoking or for even holding an unlit cigarette.

Thailand is doing the right thing if you don't like it you can go to countries where you could smoke on the beach and throw your butts on the sand. Disgusting smokers! (Disgusting is an understatement)

It doesnt appear to have much to do with smoke , smoking, the health of smokers or non smokers, or the comfort of non smokers. None of that is even mentioned in the press releases. Its being presented as "environmental legislation" as though they have discovered the holy grail of what is polluting Thailand's beaches.

Cigarette butts are a small part of the beach pollution next to sewage, plastic bags and bottles etc.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So let me see if I understand this.

I have a cigarette walking around a kilometre away from the beach, flick the butt onto the road, footpath, gutter, and next time it rains the butt ends up at the beach. There are no laws against the smoking and even if I get caught flicking the butt away,  its maybe a 2,000 baht fine.

On the other hand, if I sit at a beach vendor have a cigarette, use an ashtray and the butt ends up in the rubbish, Thats a 100,000 baht fine.

Not really.

A. You shouldn't just flick it on the street.

B. What's the difference between a cigarette butt and any other litter?

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It doesnt appear to have much to do with smoke , smoking, the health of smokers or non smokers, or the comfort of non smokers. None of that is even mentioned in the press releases. Its being presented as "environmental legislation" as though they have discovered the holy grail of what is polluting Thailand's beaches.

Cigarette butts are a small part of the beach pollution next to sewage, plastic bags and bottles etc.

Smokers always talk like that. A little cigarette butt wouldn't harm anyone. Say that to some non-smokers and they will say to you, "Let me just stick that little cigarette butt up your behind".

24 minutes ago, madusa said:

My wife and self are now talking seriously about helping each other to kick the habit and we are serious. 

If we do, and I hope we do, I don't think we would want smokers to be jailed but in a way I think I know what you're saying.

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Oak trees grow from small acorns.

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My wife and self are now talking seriously about helping each other to kick the habit and we are serious. 

If we do, and I hope we do, I don't think we would want smokers to be jailed but in a way I think I know what you're saying.

Keep yourself busy and walk away from friends who smoke are 2 important things to keep in mind when trying to quit smoking.

I only decided to quit because when I walked fast I had pain in the lungs so I knew if I didn't stop the grim reaper would be making an appointment to see me.

Enforcement units are only being considered. Without them, it will be business as usual. Some Chinese and Koreans never have a cig out of their mouths. I would love to see someone try to get 100 Baht off one of them, never mind 100K.

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What a load of BS, 90% of beach goers pay their 100 baht for a chair, umbrella, table service, rubbish bin, and an ash tray if required or someone cleans up your table after you eat drink etc . Just like any other resturant, bar etc.

The odd person may set up on their towel and then leave behind rubbish but most will sit at the beach vendors.

This is addressing a problem that really doesn't exists.

The problem is water and sewage treatment, plastic bags and bottles, cigarette butts are way at the bottom of the list.

Toxic Cigarette Butts have killed children, wildlife and have contaminated most, if not all waterways, far from the bottom of the list,,,

11.jpg

english.jpg

14.jpg

3 hours ago, madusa said:

I am an ex smoker but I truly struggle to get my head around the hatred some ex smokers have for smokers, firkin bizarre unless your just bitter and twisted with life in general..... 

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya police are drooling.  New BMWs have been ordered.  Just what the doctor ordered ; a new tax in time for the soon-to-be defunct high season.

The daytime muggers, thieves, hawkers pick-pockets and drive by snatchers will have a beano with all the police chasing the real money.