Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

47 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Living in Bangkok 24 years. Feel much safer than Pattaya, Toronto, Vancouver, Miami, Rotterdam, Detroit, Toledo .... most dangerous I'd say was when I lived in Kuala Lumpur.  Another unscientific survey I'm sure.    

What was dangerous about KL? Asking since we are planning to visit there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

I disagree with this as looking at the statistics of Pattaya, Phuket, etc. these are far more dangerous cities with far more fatalities and physical injuries happening than bangkok.

Maybe but they were not included in the survey!

Edited by scottiejohn

Maybe the study meant that Bangkok can be a nightmare if as a farang, you try to get a taxi to turn on the meter ? :1zgarz5:

Perhaps the study meant, Bangkok can be a killer if you try to cross the road as a pedestrian or drive your own car ??.

Or could it be that Bangkok can be lethal if you indulge in unprotected, random first night stand, casual sex ? :welcomeani:....:crazy:

But for the rest, one feels mch safer in Bangkok then in many other cities back here in Europe.......Statistically more people have died from terrorist attacks in Paris then in Bangkok...

IMHO I found Bankokians to be open, social and friendly and this was not always the case in certain venues in Hua Hin or Pattaya.:sorry:

I have been in and out of Bangkok dozens of times, traveling via Taxi's to all kinds of places visiting companies. Never encountered any problems fo any kind....except maybe a Taxi A/c not working correctly.  Once years ago a bundled of cash slipped out of my silk suit pocket -and a stranger ran after me to return it.

Although I don't personally like Bangkok and choose to live in Pattaya. When I have visited BKK and wandered around the streets at all hours I have never felt threatened in anyway.  The only safety concerns would be mostly either traffic or infrastructure poor maintenance.  Not a good survey IMO.

3 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

I know three guys who've been seriously assaulted in KL, seriously enough to require a few days hospital stay. Each assault was completely unprovoked and involved a number of 'local' youths who then robbed their victim. 

I know a lot more foreigners in Thailand than I do in KL, yet I don't know of anyone who has been the victim of an unprovoked attack. I know a couple of guys who've received a punch for saying the wrong thing to a group of Motorcycle Taxi guys, I know one guy who was punched after refusing to get out of a taxi who refused to put the meter on...  and of course, we all know the stories we read on ThaiVisa.com... 

My point is: that while Thailand may well be dangerous if you can't refrain from shooting of your mouth or getting 'into situations' but based on the experiences of those whom I know in KL and Bangkok it would appear that in KL you are at more risk of indiscriminate violence. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, muluc said:

....i think statistics are never objective, i lived in bangkok a year long recently and i found it quite save, even i rode a hired 'pun pun' bicycle all the time, i love krung thep...:-)

But personal experience is purely anecdotal.

• Haha 1

the highest car accident rate in the world, used to be Korea, in the country, tail gaters common, motorbikes in your lane,  cars speeding and coming head on at you, all common,  and now security madness added, heavy rains, road rage, headlighits on bright at night in your eyes, buses and vans passing you,  a free for all of juvenile driving and corrupt enforcement, you can speculate it is because they are relatively new to cars, but the culture is short on foresight and planning too which may be spiritual so not all bad, and improvements come with time and experience, a car is not a toy, and electric cars and more mass transportation are improvements likely to come

I noticed a change my last few years living there, a neighbour smashed his room up in the middle of the night, beat up his girlfriend then tried kicking my door down, saw many fights downstairs at the bar at my apartment building {ratchada soi 7}, one was 2 thai guys involving bricks and leo bottles, another one was a lesbian bust up, I was also followed twice by a set of college students who shouted <deleted> u at me, they clearly wanted me to react, last week living there went to kaosan where a group of bouncers beat the crap out of an English guy. The Japanese guy in the apartment next to mine was murdered, also a thai lady had her head cut off by another hooker when i was staying on ratchada 17. Lots of things happen but don't make the news, it's nice you feel safer in Bangkok or whatever but the truth is you're not. Also now I live in the UK the amount of people who tell me about bad things that happened to them in Thailand is off the scale. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I live and work more than 12 years in Bangkok, without any dangerous situations. Crime does happen, but if you use common sense Bangkok is one of the safest cities I experienced. The only dangerous things are trying to cross a road without pedestrian bridge and soi dogs, although in our soi we luckily don't have any problems with them. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

This MUST be a typo. The superlative "most dangerous" surely should read "safest". Where, oh where were the TOT spin doctors when this one slipped through.:WPFflags:

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe the study meant that Bangkok can be a nightmare if as a farang, you try to get a taxi to turn on the meter ? :1zgarz5:

Perhaps the study meant, Bangkok can be a killer if you try to cross the road as a pedestrian or drive your own car ??.

Or could it be that Bangkok can be lethal if you indulge in unprotected, random first night stand, casual sex ? :welcomeani:....:crazy:

But for the rest, one feels mch safer in Bangkok then in many other cities back here in Europe.......Statistically more people have died from terrorist attacks in Paris then in Bangkok...

IMHO I found Bankokians to be open, social and friendly and this was not always the case in certain venues in Hua Hin or Pattaya.:sorry:

Arrai Na? = What?

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

Lived there in 2006/7. Was a rash of very violent street thefts, purse snatchings, pick pockets. So much the company I worked for issued warnings to all the expats to be careful. Often saw security walking the streets carrying shot guns around the night club area (Hard Rock).  If I recall there was a gang targeting foreigners at that time. There is currently no active Travel Alerts or Travel Warnings at this time for KL (according to US embassy website).    

Edited by RBOP
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Falcon said:

I disagree with this as looking at the statistics of Pattaya, Phuket, etc. these are far more dangerous cities with far more fatalities and physical injuries happening than bangkok.

Are you sure about that or is that also your opinion?

digital, health, infrastructure, and personal security

So among those, I would guess it got low marks on digital and infrastructure.  But health and personal security?  Bad pollution but good hospitals.  I would think personal security is very good here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muluc said:

....i think statistics are never objective, i lived in bangkok a year long recently and i found it quite save, even i rode a hired 'pun pun' bicycle all the time, i love krung thep...:-)

No...vice versa. This is your subjectiv opinion. This study seems to be based on objectiv criterias.

C'mon now..... Pick any 60 cities and you can make Bangkok the safest or the most dangerous!   Silly survey.  Pick cities like Aleppo, Mogudishu, Chicago or smaller suberbs of any large city and it makes BKK look like paradise.  Pick any 59 safe, upper scale cities and you got a war-zone dump of a city. .... Did I say silly survey?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
27 minutes ago, Suttisan said:
I noticed a change my last few years living there, a neighbour smashed his room up in the middle of the night, beat up his girlfriend then tried kicking my door down, saw many fights downstairs at the bar at my apartment building {ratchada soi 7}, one was 2 thai guys involving bricks and leo bottles, another one was a lesbian bust up, I was also followed twice by a set of college students who shouted u at me, they clearly wanted me to react, last week living there went to kaosan where a group of bouncers beat the crap out of an English guy. The Japanese guy in the apartment next to mine was murdered, also a thai lady had her head cut off by another hooker when i was staying on ratchada 17. Lots of things happen but don't make the news, it's nice you feel safer in Bangkok or whatever but the truth is you're not. Also now I live in the UK the amount of people who tell me about bad things that happened to them in Thailand is off the scale. 

Wow did you ever think to move from that's low class area? Every city has its violent low class crappy area. The rent money saved is just not worth it.

Ratchada isn't really a low class area, there are 5 star hotels there and expensive condos, it's hardly klong toey or ramkhangheang is it? Melt

49 minutes ago, Suttisan said:

I noticed a change my last few years living there, a neighbour smashed his room up in the middle of the night, beat up his girlfriend then tried kicking my door down, saw many fights downstairs at the bar at my apartment building {ratchada soi 7}, one was 2 thai guys involving bricks and leo bottles, another one was a lesbian bust up, I was also followed twice by a set of college students who shouted <deleted> u at me, they clearly wanted me to react, last week living there went to kaosan where a group of bouncers beat the crap out of an English guy. The Japanese guy in the apartment next to mine was murdered, also a thai lady had her head cut off by another hooker when i was staying on ratchada 17. Lots of things happen but don't make the news, it's nice you feel safer in Bangkok or whatever but the truth is you're not. Also now I live in the UK the amount of people who tell me about bad things that happened to them in Thailand is off the scale. 

I'd think about moving to a different area !!!... 

That said: A couple of years ago there was a Murder right next to our Condo Development. 

A high-end development with Embassy Staff, lots of blue number plates, scores of wealthy people, including Thai's... Ferrari's & Porsches, loads of Mercs & BMW's... its an expensive place... 

Just outside the security gates there was a Murder that no one 50m away in the Condo Complex even heard about. A Waiter from one of the restaurants was stabbed to death after his shift finished outside MaxValue.

There was no noticeable police presence the next day... nothing...

Thus: I am in agreement with you that scores of extremely violent actions are occurring on a daily basis and we don't read or hear about them.....  these are not brushed under the carpet, its just that tragically they are not newsworthy !!... 

So, many of us are perhaps under a false sense of security that we are safe when danger bubbles just under the surface... Fortunately this danger rarely involves foreigners and sticks to within its socio-economic boundaries...  For the time being at least... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I love living in Thailand, I avoid Bangkok as much as possible.

It is nice to have some objective confirmation of my decision...

Totally agree that SOMEONE WHO HAS CHOICE (and not someone who must live in BKK for work or any special reason) must be dumb to live there...

4 hours ago, muluc said:

I have a friend 76 who has lived there all her life. No problems so far. So ??????

How does this work?

Anyway you know about the people that collect these so-called statistics. REally . . . . . . !!!

2 hours ago, midasthailand said:

I can't comment on digital, but health, infrastucture and personal safety are far better than my hometown of Sydney!

No shortage of excellent hospitals, many excellent dentists, world class orthopaedic surgeons.

BTS, MRT, ATM transfers to other people in different banks, excellent mobile coverage, malls, entertainment.

I have never felt threatened living in Bangkok and do not hesitate to go anywhere at any time of the day or night.

The same cannot be said for Sydney or any other Australian capital city.

You got that right mate.

• Like 2