Congresswoman says Trump told widow of fallen soldier 'he knew what he signed up for'

webfact

Congresswoman says Trump told widow of fallen soldier 'he knew what he signed up for'

By Steve Brusk and Leigh Munsil, CNN

(CNN)President Donald Trump told the widow of a US serviceman killed in the ambush in Niger that "he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurt," according to Rep. Frederica Wilson.

The body of Sgt. La David Johnson was returned home to the Miami area late Tuesday afternoon, with the plane receiving a water cannon salute as it arrived near the gate.

The call from the President to Johnson's widow came shortly before Johnson's casket arrival, Wilson, a Florida Democrat, said on "CNN Tonight with Don Lemon" Tuesday.

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/frederica-wilson-widow-fallen-soldier/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2017-10-18

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am eternally grateful to those who have signed up for defending their country and do so with honour, especially those that pay the ultimate price. And I strongly believe that those of us who "stay behind" should honour the fallen and their families.

I am truly disgusted by the callousness of Trump, the guy who shirked his responsibilities in Vietnam with "bone spurs", even if he cannot remember which leg they occurred in.

I have said it before and (unfortunately) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches

God help us all

Edited by Samui Bodoh

How much more disgusting can 45 be? Oh but his Republican regime stand behind him every minute of everyday. They too are disgusting examples of human beings who unfortunately are Americans. I wish the entire lot of them would go back to Russia. 

biggest embarrassment.jpg

He signed up to serve his country and while he knew it held risks, I am sure he expected to come home. To make such an outrageous and distasteful comment to a grieving widow, shows how ridiculously out of touch with normality and civilised behaviour Trump is.

17 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

He signed up to serve his country and while he knew it held risks, I am sure he expected to come home. To make such an outrageous and distasteful comment to a grieving widow, shows how ridiculously out of touch with normality and civilised behaviour Trump is.

Also another clear display that he cares only about himself and nothing more, regardless of the circumstances. A selfish arrogant insensitive fool. Surely there are many Americans who totally fit the expected capabilities, behaviors and attitudes required for the job of POTUS. Why do Americans not throw this fool out before he does some very severe tragic damage? 

Edited by scorecard

14 minutes ago, habanero said:

Congresswoman says Trump told widow of fallen soldier 'he knew what he signed up for

Hearsay from a Democratic Congresswoman as told on CNN. Think I'll wait for the real story from the family.

It's so easy to demonize an actual credible news source like CNN than the disgusting sack of immorality, our president. Often the trumpists call things "fake news" that are actually video clips from the clown potus itself. 

Let's break this down, shall we?

Actual news sources (not perfect but their news functions at least TRY to be accurate and facts based and they will retract when mistakes are discovered):

Washington Post

New York Times

CNN

NBC

Los Angeles Times

trumpist propaganda and/or alt-right white supremacist propaganda --

Infowars

Fox News is pretty OK / Fox and Friends type shows pure propaganda

Breitbart

Rush Limbaugh

Next ... 

Edited by Jingthing

On 10/18/2017 at 1:43 PM, habanero said:

Congresswoman says Trump told widow of fallen soldier 'he knew what he signed up for

Hearsay from a Democratic Congresswoman as told on CNN. Think I'll wait for the real story from the family.

The grieving mother is quoted as saying:-

"Asked earlier if she was sure the President said that, Wilson told  "Yeah, he said that. You know, ... that is something that you can say in a conversation, but you shouldn't say that to a grieving widow. Everyone knows when you go to war you could possibly not come back alive, but you don't remind a grieving widow of that. That is so insensitive. So insensitive.""

I agree with her entirely.  The point made by trump was correct - but only an a...hole would be insensitive enough to say this to the grieving mother.

6 minutes ago, Opl said:

"Like demagogues before him, Trump relies on the ignorance of the crowd, which makes exciting their passions and short-circuiting their powers of reason a simple task.

Like a comedian’s catch phrase, the charge of “fake news” brings down the house every time Trump utters it, making irrelevant the fact that his views on fake news are fake—very fake."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/17/trumps-jihad-fake-news-215722?lo=ap_c1

Ironic that REAL fake news, from Putin's Russia, directly helped elect the evil clown potus in the first place! 

trump and his scary crew of true believers are trying to change the definition of what fake news actually is. Putin's troll farms of fabricated stories meant to degrade American democracy / Infowars tin foil hat stuff ... that's fake news. Every fact based news item that is not flattering to the great orange one ... NOT fake news. 

Edited by Jingthing

Wonderful to watch the way a "report" by a political opponent is taken as gospel because it suits an agenda!

Doesn't matter whether it's for or against Trump or Clinton, or any other politician. At the moment this is heresay, nothing more. And heresay from a political enemy.

Well she wouldn't lie would she, a Democrat Congresswoman?

Just like Hilary wouldn't lie, and the DNC wouldn't cheat................... er hang on, better ask Bernie about that!

Turmp may be a complete moron with the empathy of the average psychopath, a complete self centered arrogant dodgy character whose morals are also questionable - but portraying politicians as different to that, in many many cases, is just wrong. 

So let's see if the widow or family confirm this. And let's get the actual complete conversation too.

I want to add, true or not, this would be one of the milder trump outrages. I'm surprised it even made the news. He does much worse on a constant basis. The danger is that more and more people are seeing trump's bad and BIZARRE behavior as NORMAL presidential behavior. 

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wonderful to watch the way a "report" by a political opponent is taken as gospel because it suits an agenda!

Doesn't matter whether it's for or against Trump or Clinton, or any other politician. At the moment this is heresay, nothing more. And heresay from a political enemy.

Just like Hilary wouldn't lie, and the DNC wouldn't cheat................... er hang on, better ask Bernie about that!

Turmp may be a complete moron with the empathy of the average psychopath, a complete self centered arrogant dodgy character whose morals are also questionable - but portraying politicians as different to that, in many many cases, is just wrong. 

So let's see if the widow or family confirm this. And let's get the actual complete conversation too.

To be fair, the quoted 'conversation' is likely accurate as the  mother agreed with trump's point - but was understandably shocked that he would be so insensitive as to mention this to her.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches

God help us all

Keep saying it, it is accurate and the view of the vast majority of people around the world.  Forget about the few dwindling supporters that he still has, they will never get it.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Keep saying it, it is accurate and the view of the vast majority of people around the world.  Forget about the few dwindling supporters that he still has, they will never get it.

Saying it isn't enough though. The USA is going in the direction of Russia and Turkey now. He must be STOPPED. 

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am eternally grateful to those who have signed up for defending their country and do so with honour, especially those that pay the ultimate price. And I strongly believe that those of us who "stay behind" should honour the fallen and their families.

I am truly disgusted by the callousness of Trump, the guy who shirked his responsibilities in Vietnam with "bone spurs", even if he cannot remember which leg they occurred in.

God help us all

"He (Trump) is a vortex of destruction, and the only way to survive is to get everything we love as far away from him as possible."

Robert Tracinski.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

So true.  I read something in the news this morning about Australian politicians and "reds under the bed".  These people are so out of touch with reality and are entirely self serving.  The worst part is that the majority of voters believe every word that comes out of their lying mouths.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

God help us all

Thank You Sir,  Keep telling the story!!!!!      

It's astonishing to me that any sane person can still support Trump. Time and time again, that petty, vindictive, tantrum-throwing man-child shows that he can sink to new lows, and that he has no morals, no ethics, no integrity, no decency, no honor and no empathy. And yet many millions of people keep supporting and even loving that steaming pile of excrement.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The orange clown potus -- the "great" compassionater (sic). :sick:

Trouble with Trump is he's often right. The guy(s) who bought it Niger knew the game and lost. But Trump doesn't understand "morale", the trick of conning fools into giving their lives for weapons companies to increase the bottom line. And Trump's supposed to be a super salesman? He couldn't sell me gold for $1 an ounce.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I want to add, true or not, this would be one of the milder trump outrages. I'm surprised it even made the news. He does much worse on a constant basis. The danger is that more and more people are seeing trump's bad and BIZARRE behavior as NORMAL presidential behavior. 

That's the idea. when Trump finally is removed, anyone - even the egregious Pence - will look better. Nixon played the game using Spiro Agnew as VP.

29 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

It's astonishing to me that any sane person can still support Trump. Time and time again, that petty, vindictive, tantrum-throwing man-child shows that he can sink to new lows, and that he has no morals, no ethics, no integrity, no decency, no honor and no empathy. And yet many millions of people keep supporting and even loving that steaming pile of excrement.

No sane people do. His supporters are as crazy as him.

Just now, habanero said:

There is already comment from the mother of the fallen soldier.

She confirmed the insensitive words trump was reported to have said.

4 hours ago, habanero said:

What if the real story from the family was on CNN?

Would you then wait for the real story from the man himself?

Let's face it, it's hardly incredible coming from a guy who disrespected a fellow Republican and POW by saying it was his fault for getting caught. And that's on National TV. We all know what he's capable of saying when the *mic* is off.

Check you brainwashing source.