China official says Lincoln would have approved of freeing Tibetan serfs

webfact

China official says Lincoln would have approved of freeing Tibetan serfs

tag-reuters.jpg

Qiangba Puncog (C), chairman of China's Tibet Autonomous Region, poses for an official photograph with members of the Tibetan provincial delegation as they arrive at the Great Hall of the People, for the start of the National People's Congress (NPC) in Beijing November 8, 2012. Picture taken November 8, 2012. REUTERS/David Gray

BEIJING (Reuters) - Late U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, who freed the slaves, would have approved of China's policy to end serfdom in Tibet, a senior Chinese official said on Thursday.

China considers devoutly Buddhist Tibet an inherent part of its territory, and routinely rejects accusations from exiles and rights groups of repression and human rights abuses.

Chinese forces entered Tibet in 1950 in what the government terms a peaceful liberation, and says its rule has brought prosperity and freedom to what was a backward and feudal society, including freeing a million people from serfdom, an event marked in Tibet as Serfs' Emancipation Day.

Speaking on the sidelines of China's 19th Communist Party Congress, Supervision Minister Yang Xiaodu, who helps fight corruption, said the United States and Tibet had much in common with their human rights experiences.

Yang recounted a tale of meeting a person he described as a former assistant U.S. secretary of state during a visit to the United States.

"I said, 'In Chinese people's minds, Lincoln is a hero, as he freed the slaves, and on this issue Chinese and American people's recognition is the same, it's a human rights issue'," Yang said.

"In Tibet we freed the serfs, and how are American friends not able to understand this? This is also a human rights issue. If you look at it from Lincoln's point of view, he would have approved of China overturning the serfdom system in Tibet."

Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation freeing slaves in the United States in 1863.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-19

In what way are Tibetans free? Last I checked they can't own land, aren't allowed to speak their language, cannot practice Buddhism if they so choose, cannot vote, have no freedom of speech, face crackdowns and mass arrests, are kidnapped and medically experimented upon, face a systematic program to end their existence period. LIncoln was an 19th century politician in the United States, what does that situation have to do with China and Tibet in the 21st century?

If Herr Chairman vould like to makes ziss kind of komparison between Amerikkka and China, may I suggest a more apt comparison between President Andrew Jackson who freed the Cherokee and the Seminole peoples from their burdensome lives as hunters and farmers in the southeast states and gifted them with reservations in Oklahoma rich in oil reserves, the red tape and hassles from which they would later be freed from by enterprising, altruistic, bright eyed and bushy tailed go gettem American entreprenuers just like the Chinese, only looking to help the whole world by making available to all and sundry the oil resources on reservation lands.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

1 minute ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

In what way are Tibetans free? Last I checked they can't own land, aren't allowed to speak their language, cannot practice Buddhism if they so choose, cannot vote, have no freedom of speech, face crackdowns and mass arrests, face a systematic program to end their existence period. LIncoln was an 19th century politician in the United States, what does that situation have to do with China and Tibet in the 21st century?

The PLA (People's Liberation Army) liberated them of their freedom and they will do that to anybody that stand in their way.

Horrible statement to make.  They've taken over Lhasa and turned what use to be a very cool traditional city into an ugly modern Chinese city.  The locals are treated terribly.  Go to the museum there and they've completely changed history.  Saying the Tibetans asked to be liberated.  Horrible.

We were warned not to wear a Dali Lama t-shirt while visiting or we'd be arrested.  Even guide books with his picture were not allowed.

All third world governments or civilizations are brutal in their own ways.  The ones with the absolute authority will always beat up on the ones without.   The Tibetan lama of 100years ago behaved just like the Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran.   The wealthy landlords of the old Tibet keep slaves just like the big landlords in the old China.  

When it came to wealth and authority,  Buddhism didn't meat shit.  Look what the Burmese Buddhists are doing to the Rohingya.     

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Re; your missive about Tibet:  You sound like you've embraced Chinese propaganda hook, line and sinker.  What a load of garbage you unleash.   

Are we going to look at each country and try to find anything/everything to find fault with?

Tibet wasn't perfect, but it had been an independent kingdom for hundreds of years, no less than Nepal, Thailand, Bhutan, or a bunch of other kingdoms of that time.  Tibet had its own currency and their own postage stamps.  " Every so often, China's emperor would take a large entourage and travel the long arduous journey of hundreds of miles - to pay homage to the Dalai Lama. "

I would ask you not to disseminate denigrating lies about pre-occupation Tibet, but you sound died-in-the-wool intent on believing Chinese propaganda.  It's understandable that hundreds of millions of Han Chinese believe that pap, because that's all they've been taught on that topic since they were in plastic pants.   But, if you're not Chinese, you don't need to believe that vindictive crap.  Get educated.  Find out the truth of the matter.

"  Every so often, China's emperor would take a large entourage and travel the long arduous journey of hundreds of miles - to pay homage to the Dalai Lama. "         

Before the Europeans showed the Qing Emperor the shocking difference between rifles and Mongolian arrows,  China was the undisputed superpower of Asia.  The Qing Emperor used to sent his Mongolian cavalry to intimate the neighbors countries.   

After a few showdowns between rifles and Mongolian arrows, the Qing Emperor turned into a frightened kitten.    That was the time when all the  neighbors countries said: " the shit with the Mongolian cavalry, ignore them all."         

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Horrible statement to make.  They've taken over Lhasa and turned what use to be a very cool traditional city into an ugly modern Chinese city.  The locals are treated terribly.  Go to the museum there and they've completely changed history.  Saying the Tibetans asked to be liberated.  Horrible.

We were warned not to wear a Dali Lama t-shirt while visiting or we'd be arrested.  Even guide books with his picture were not allowed.

All ordinary Chinese are treated terribly.  That is what an authoritarian government is all about.   In the old days when Tibetans didn't do what the ruling lamas want, the results was the same as what is happening in small Chinese cities.   

The Tibetans didn't asked to be liberated because they didn't know anything better.  The old Chinese didn't know how stupid the old Chinese imperial system was until Western ideas were introduced into the country. 

The average Chinese living in small inland villages didn't believe the USA landed a man on the moon back in 1968 because they didn't know anything better.   

Edited by Johnnyngai
add more infor

1 hour ago, Johnnyngai said:

All ordinary Chinese are treated terribly.  That is what an authoritarian government is all about.   In the old days when Tibetans didn't do what the ruling lamas want, the results was the same as what is happening in small Chinese cities.   

The Tibetans didn't asked to be liberated because they didn't know anything better.  The old Chinese didn't know how stupid the old Chinese imperial system was until Western ideas were introduced into the country. 

The average Chinese living in small inland villages didn't believe the USA landed a man on the moon back in 1968 because they didn't know anything better.   

I also don't believe USA landed a man on the moon in 1968!!!!

23 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

All third world governments or civilizations are brutal in their own ways.  The ones with the absolute authority will always beat up on the ones without.   The Tibetan lama of 100years ago behaved just like the Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran.   The wealthy landlords of the old Tibet keep slaves just like the big landlords in the old China.  

When it came to wealth and authority,  Buddhism didn't meat shit.  Look what the Burmese Buddhists are doing to the Rohingya.     

If you want to talk about the transgressions from 100 to 200 years ago, you're on to a big topic. Every province of every country ww had bad things happen.  There have been tens of thousands of books written on such things. 

The basic truth is, from the 1930's through the 1950's, China rolled a strong armies into a smaller/weaker nation and took it over.   It would be like the US rolling an army into Guatemala, or Russia taking over Estonia.   It wasn't right then, and it isn't right now.  Tibet has been a militarily occupied country since , no matter how you slice it.   China has all its sheeple believing Tibet was always part of China, but any sensible well-read person knows that's a complete lie.   

Here's the first paragraph of a larger text from Wikipedia on that topic: 

"The Sino-Tibetan War is a war that began in 1930 when the Tibetan Army under the 13th Dalai Lama invaded Xikang and Yushu in Qinghai in a dispute over monasteries. Ma clique warlord Ma Bufang secretly sent a telegram to Sichuan warlord Liu Wenhui and the leader of the Republic of China, Chiang Kai-shek, suggesting a joint attack on the Tibetan forces. Their armies rapidly overwhelmed and defeated the Tibetan Army."

source

If the US conducted foreign policy like the Chinese, the US would own the Philippines, Yugoslavia, Kuwait, Barbados, and a slew of other countries.

Edited by boomerangutang

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

If you want to talk about the transgressions from 100 to 200 years ago, you're on to a big topic. Every province of every country ww had bad things happen.  There have been tens of thousands of books written on such things. 

The basic truth is, from the 1930's through the 1950's, China rolled a strong armies into a smaller/weaker nation and took it over.   It would be like the US rolling an army into Guatemala, or Russia taking over Estonia.   It wasn't right then, and it isn't right now.  Tibet has been a militarily occupied country since , no matter how you slice it.   China has all its sheeple believing Tibet was always part of China, but any sensible well-read person knows that's a complete lie.   

Here's the first paragraph of a larger text from Wikipedia on that topic: 

"The Sino-Tibetan War is a war that began in 1930 when the Tibetan Army under the 13th Dalai Lama invaded Xikang and Yushu in Qinghai in a dispute over monasteries. Ma clique warlord Ma Bufang secretly sent a telegram to Sichuan warlord Liu Wenhui and the leader of the Republic of China, Chiang Kai-shek, suggesting a joint attack on the Tibetan forces. Their armies rapidly overwhelmed and defeated the Tibetan Army."

source

If the US conducted foreign policy like the Chinese, the US would own the Philippines, Yugoslavia, Kuwait, Barbados, and a slew of other countries.

I am surprised that there was a   Sino-Tibetan War in the 1930s.   At that time China was a fragmented country controlled by warlords; many government soldiers didn't even have shoes to wear.   

The historical era of Tibet from 1912 to 1951 followed the collapse of the Qing dynasty in 1912, and lasted until the incorporation of Tibet by the People's Republic of China. The Tibetan Ganden Phodrang regime was Protectorate of the Qing[4][5][6][7] until 1912,[8][9] when the Provisional Government of the Republic of China replaced the Qing dynasty as the government of China, and signed a treaty with the Qing government inheriting all territories of the previous dynasty into the new republic, giving Tibet the status of a "Protectorate"[10][11] with high levels of autonomy as it was Protectorate under the dynasty. At the same time, Tibet was also a British Protectorate.[12][13][14] However, at the same time, several Tibetan representatives signed a treaty between Tibet and Mongolia proclaiming mutual recognition and their independence from China, although the Government of the Republic of China did not recognize its legitimacy. With the high levels of autonomy and the "proclaiming of independence" by several Tibetan representatives, this period of Tibet is often described as "de facto independent", especially by some Tibetan independence supporters, although most countries of the world, as well as the United Nations,[15] recognized Tibet as a part of the Republic of China.

" Copied  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "         

From the above post:  "The Tibetan Ganden Phodrang regime was Protectorate of the Qing"

says who?  

Did some Qing nobles sit around a breakfast table in Nanjing one morning and declare, "Hey, you know Tibet, that far away land with Lamas and Buddhist monasteries?  Yea.  Well, let's declared it's ours.  Sound good?  Everyone who likes the idea of annexing Tibet, raise a chopstick.  Ok, it's agreed then.  Please pass the fried crickets."

.....and my family, consisting of me and my coat of arms painted on a large piece of paper, declare Italy as mine.   There.  Italy is now my possession.  Like it or lump it.  I made the declaration, so I'll go over there are start demanding tribute from those Italians, as soon as I can scrounge up enough baht to buy a plane ticket.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, boomerangutang said:

From the above post:  "The Tibetan Ganden Phodrang regime was Protectorate of the Qing"

says who?  

Did some Qing nobles sit around a breakfast table in Nanjing one morning and declare, "Hey, you know Tibet, that far away land with Lamas and Buddhist monasteries?  Yea.  Well, let's declared it's ours.  Sound good?  Everyone who likes the idea of annexing Tibet, raise a chopstick.  Ok, it's agreed then.  Please pass the fried crickets."

The first three emperors of the Qing dynasty were very competent.  

Mongolian cavalry was used to obtain new territories. In the old days, cavalry and arrows ruled the land.

Later on, Europeans with tall ships and rifles ruled the world.

The Qing dynasty was founded by Manchurian warriors, Manchurians are horsemen just like the Mongolians.

The Manchurians love to test their swords on new territories;  just like the Europeans test their rifles on their new colonies.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, boomerangutang said:

.....and my family, consisting of me and my coat of arms painted on a large piece of paper, declare Italy as mine.   There.  Italy is now my possession.  Like it or lump it.  I made the declaration, so I'll go over there are start demanding tribute from those Italians, as soon as I can scrounge up enough baht to buy a plane ticket.

The Qing dynasty was founded by Manchurian warriors, do you expect horsemen warriors to talk about humanitarian Philosophy ?

Did the Europeans gave up their colonies without first testing their rifles ?  

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

This is what happens when you cross the PLA (4:58)

This video came from the Vietnamese.  Vietnam was a former protectorate of China until the Europeans show up with tall ships and rifles. 

China and Vietnam fought a brief border war in 1979; China lost many soldiers and got nowhere with the war.  The Vietnam soldiers have way much more experience fighting with the USA.  .......  I guess this time the Vietnam got nowhere with this Spratly Island fight. 

On 10/21/2017 at 8:16 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

This is what happens when you cross the PLA (4:58)

jeezo, 64 unarmed Vietnamese sailors mowed down by Chinese AA guns, while they were standing in waist-high water.  Sick.

I gave it a 'like' because I'm glad you found and posted that video.  But obviously I abhor what China does in regard to its territory grabs.   Trump hasn't yet looked squarely at China, but when he does wake up to China, he might get huffy and puffy.  Even so, I'd much rather have HRC or Kerry deal with the Chinese as US representatives.  I have zero trust or faith in Trump.