Koh Tao Police want 45kBt to let mates son go (Contiued from recent Thread)

Dave67

You may remember a thread a few week about a lad on a diving holiday getting nicked for a few joints in Koh Tao

He's been to court an fined 3000bt, supposed to go and into immigration holding an get deported today. Police now asking for 45k baht to let him go. He's being held in a small cell with 15 Thais

Regardless of principles of paying the police, What to do Pay, Embassy, Decent lawyer ?. As much as it riles me I would pay and get the kid out today

-- Edited to remove and offensive term

I said at the start of the whole thing that once the cops got the bail money it woud be hard to get it back. Bail should have been 10,000, not the 50 or more they charged. Find a half respectable lawyer (asking around should get you a decent recommendation), and get him to negotiate. Once the fine was paid, there is no reason, other than corruption and greed , for any more money to be paid. As it is a misdemeanour, he shouldn't even really have a problem with immigration. After paying the fine, he should have been free to go where he wants, as long as he has a visa, which the court should have given him. Good luck. Pay them as little as possible. Suggesting you would take the case to Regional level to complain will probably help.

Edited by darksidedog

There is no need to get a lawyer involved.

Try and meet with the coppers and negotiate the fee down to 20k - 25k.

Pay the fine, give the lad a firm boot (or two) up the arse on his way out and tell him if he ever does it again,

you'll chop his plums off with a razor.

Negotiate the price. Embassy aren't going to pay it for him. 

It is not like people are not warned about how to behave when they travel. Do the things you have to do in the privacy of your home, not whilst on holiday. It is what it is here. Morally wrong, yes - a lot of the time. But, looking at the bigger picture, at the end of the day you always pay for your stupidity. In this case, stupidity cost 48k. If can get it down a bit, then it really it isn't all that bad. Hopefully will learn and everyone will move on with life. 

3 hours ago, varun said:

There is no need to get a lawyer involved.

Try and meet with the coppers and negotiate the fee down to 20k - 25k.

Pay the fine, give the lad a firm boot (or two) up the arse on his way out and tell him if he ever does it again,

you'll chop his plums off with a razor.

Cheers not my son one of my mates

Why don't you send a lawyer to the court who prosecuted him, telling the judge that the police is trying to extort money from him? Alternatively/and or go to the press? They love stories about corrupt cops and will put public pressure on them!

12 hours ago, Dave67 said:

He's been to court an fined 3000bt, supposed to go and into immigration holding an get deported today. Police now asking for 45k baht to let him go. He's being held in a small cell with 15 Thais

As he is now due to be deported - is it possible that the 45K is the cost of his transport to BKK and one-way, non-stop flight back to the UK?

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Taking drugs. He asked for it and got it. Ive never touched a drug in my life

I'm an alcoholic myself (and I don't do drugs), but I would be love to have a discussion about drugs vs. alcohol with you, your holier than thou attitude is astonishing. That's not the topic in this thread, though. I'm making assumptions here, though, you might not enjoy alcohol either.

@ the OP, I hope it sorts itself out, but those islands are well known for their corruption (my wife used to work on one of these famous three islands, so I know what I'm talking about). I concur with the posters suggesting to negotiate the price and get it over and done with.

Personally would give them a single baht, would be speaking to the embassy if you haven't already and I have seen of late some number you should call if there is corruption in any matter, i.e. they were suggesting that they are wanting to clean up corrupt cops.

I might be naive, but that's my take, besides him staying there longer will only frustrate them, media as others have suggested, i.e. country that he comes from should turn the heat up.

Good luck, but don't be adding fuel to the fire, let itself burn out, hate corrupt cops. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

As he is now due to be deported - is it possible that the 45K is the cost of his transport to BKK and one-way, non-stop flight back to the UK?

Hope that the case, I've not heard anything back

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Personally would give them a single baht, would be speaking to the embassy if you haven't already and I have seen of late some number you should call if there is corruption in any matter, i.e. they were suggesting that they are wanting to clean up corrupt cops.

I might be naive, but that's my take, besides him staying there longer will only frustrate them, media as others have suggested, i.e. country that he comes from should turn the heat up.

Good luck, but don't be adding fuel to the fire, let itself burn out, hate corrupt cops. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I'm not clear as to whether once they let him out, will he still be deported or not. If not I think it's well worth it.

Yes that was the plan that the lawyer told him and was passed back to his dad, Siam Legal I believe was used

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I said at the start of the whole thing that once the cops got the bail money it woud be hard to get it back. Bail should have been 10,000, not the 50 or more they charged. Find a half respectable lawyer (asking around should get you a decent recommendation), and get him to negotiate. Once the fine was paid, there is no reason, other than corruption and greed , for any more money to be paid. As it is a misdemeanour, he shouldn't even really have a problem with immigration. After paying the fine, he should have been free to go where he wants, as long as he has a visa, which the court should have given him. Good luck. Pay them as little as possible. Suggesting you would take the case to Regional level to complain will probably help.

Bad advice. This is Thailand, the law is whatever the officer says it is at the time. Hiring a lawyer is a bad move, it will end up costing the OP`s friend much more eventually.

The guy`s an idiot anyway, have no sympathy whatsoever. Better he pay the 45K extortion money and then run for the hills considering himself lucky he did not receive a long prison sentence.

Get your mate down the station with 3 bottles of hong thong and an envelope wirh 10k baht in it and an extra 2k baht to slip to the main man out of view of the others and tell him your taking the lad straight to a loy krathong festival to wash away his sins. Don't use phones etc get in their face with the cash and if necessary get a bit evil on the son for show and they will pity their prisoner and accept the payoff.

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Why don't you send a lawyer to the court who prosecuted him, telling the judge that the police is trying to extort money from him? Alternatively/and or go to the press? They love stories about corrupt cops and will put public pressure on them!

This is of course the only thing to do. I would not give even 1 baht to the mibs after going to court. How can people be so stupid to even think about it ?!

As as previously said, it seems that this case has been managed by a farang boss, so good at everything he does !

Edited by EcigAmateur