Actor Russell Crowe criticises Australian bid to move asylum seekers

webfact

Actor Russell Crowe criticises Australian bid to move asylum seekers

tag_reuters.jpg

Actor Russell Crowe speaks at the 30th annual American Cinematheque Award ceremony in Beverly Hills, California U.S., October 14, 2016. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The 600 asylum seekers barricaded inside an abandoned detention centre in Papua New Guinea without food or running water are Australia's "shame", Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe said on Thursday, offering to house six of the detainees.

For two days, the men in the Manus Island Centre have defied efforts by Australia and Papua New Guinea to close the camp, saying they fear violence from the local community if they are moved elsewhere.

The stand-off was a "disgrace," the star of the films "Gladiator" and "Les Misérables" told his 2.7 million followers in a series of messages on social network Twitter.

"I believe I could house and find jobs for six," Crowe tweeted. "I'm sure there'd be other Australians who would do the same."

The stand-off has prompted condemnation, particularly from bodies such as the United Nations, though Crowe's intervention could spotlight the issue at a time when some detainees are showing the ill-effects of having no food for two days.

A spokeswoman for Australia's immigration minister Peter Dutton refused to comment.

She said there had been no change in the government's policy of refusing to allow any asylum seekers arriving by boat to reach Australian shores, and detaining them instead in camps in Papua New Guinea and Nauru in the South Pacific.

The issue will be a key element of talks between Australia's Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and his New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Sunday in Sydney.

Ardern has said a 2013 offer by former Prime Minister John Key to resettle 150 refugees held in Australian detention centres remains on the table.

Crowe, a New Zealand citizen who has lived in Australia for many years, received the Best Actor award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2001, for his performance in "Gladiator".

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-02

I am sure if the Australian government did reverse its policy and allow economic migrants to pay people smugglers and settle in Australia, they would not be living next door to Mr Crowe, they would not be competing for limited social housing with Mr Crowe, they would not be harrassing Mr Crowe's daughter,.....

No, it is ordinary people who have to bear the brunt of uncontrolled migration of hundreds of young males who have no connection to the country they hope to parasite off and do not respect the laws of their host nation. Ask the women of Cologne, Stockholm, Vienna,....

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

People like Crowe live in a rarified atmosphere, they have no idea what goes on in the real world.

Agree. He's an excellent actor and has made some great films.

But who gives a shit what his views are on politics and subjects like this?

Too many actors, sports players, entertainers and "celebrities" seem to think they're somehow mega important just because they've made a lot of money and can afford a lifestyle others only dream of. Is he after a "goodwill ambassador" role?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"I believe I could house and find jobs for six," Crowe tweeted.

Yep. Footstool, toilet roll dispenser, tin opener, grass straightner, hunting ornament and a possible belly-warmer (if good looking) - 2nd footstool if not.

Edited by RichardColeman

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Agree. He's an excellent actor and has made some great films.

But who gives a shit what his views are on politics and subjects like this?

Too many actors, sports players, entertainers and "celebrities" seem to think they're somehow mega important just because they've made a lot of money and can afford a lifestyle others only dream of. Is he after a "goodwill ambassador" role?

They seek some relevance in an otherwise vacuous life.

9 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

i think most people of aust are happy they are there. they don,t want them except do gooders who think the oppostite.he can have a moan but it will not change the views or wants of the gov

Yes, the current Government got elected for this policy and if they hold fast, they will be reelected as long as the opposition opposes this policy as the Australian people don't want to be flooded with these people. 

Scoring some public brownie points. Look around you, wake up ! Its the ungrateful likes of the majority of them that are causing murder and mayhem in those countries that have let them in. Since you're not an Aussie take them to NZ then, and see how grateful the locals will be and how welcome they'll be there....

I remember reading about some mass abuse happening over in Nauru refugee camp. There was something shocking like 2,000 cases which got me wondering how many 10s of 000s of refugees were in this camp to have allowed such a huge number of rapes, beatings and assaults. Imagine my shock when discovering there was only about 400 people there. Let's think about this 400 people causing 2,000 plus reports. It proved they are a dangerous bunch indeed, and there is no way on God's green earth these animals should be let loose on western feminized liberal society. Wolf into the sheep pen if you know what I mean. Unfortunately Mr Crowe has no idea about what he's talking about, send them all back home is the best solution all round. Good riddance.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Malcolm Turnbull. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, landlord of 6 asylum seekers. I’ll do anything for publicity.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Crowe wants to build up some brownie points before the sexual harrasment charges start coming in is my opinion. Wasn't he the one that clopped a bellboy on the head with a cell phone in New York City?

Does count as sexual harassment IAMHERE...........:wub:

Yes of course, only Europe and specialy Italy must be invaded by immigrants from Syria, Africa and elsewhere with detention camos everywhere like in the most famous touristic and ancient cultural islands. Others don't want any, even if big like the Australian continent and with such a small population that came from all kind of kriminals and else, sent there from England at the beginning as an exile detention camp and now becoming puritane......

Nice way of thinking...yes....

The reality is that these people have probably been treated badly, the other reality is that the majority of the Australian public do not believe they integrate and will eventually cause problems. If they weren't Muslims then there probably would be an issue, they would have been brought onshore for processing. The Muslims themselves create their own bad PR, don't know where the solution lies...

10 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Yes of course, only Europe and specialy Italy must be invaded by immigrants from Syria, Africa and elsewhere with detention camos everywhere like in the most famous touristic and ancient cultural islands. Others don't want any, even if big like the Australian continent and with such a small population that came from all kind of kriminals and else, sent there from England at the beginning as an exile detention camp and now becoming puritane......

Nice way of thinking...yes....

The difference is Australia is a long way from the Middle East and Africa, and we can actually keep them out, Europe can't. Why should Australia take on the same problems Europe has? There is already regret that we offered a home to some Somalis, who are now causing nothing but problems. Let them get their own house in order instead of running to countries that offer an easy ride.

4 minutes ago, Rancid said:

The reality is that these people have probably been treated badly, the other reality is that the majority of the Australian public do not believe they integrate and will eventually cause problems. If they weren't Muslims then there probably would be an issue, they would have been brought onshore for processing. The Muslims themselves create their own bad PR, don't know where the solution lies...

I doubt the many Sri Lankans who sought refuge were muslims. Australia refuses to take queue jumpers and economic migrants.

Edited by giddyup

Russell Crowe should stick to his acting career and stay out of politics.

These illegal immigrants have been given free housing, food, washing, medical, schooling and more for the past 5+ years and now offered $35,000AUD each and a flight back to their home country ....  

but now they don't want to go ....    nothings free back home   !!!   

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

The reality is that there are many Australian families doing it much tougher than these migrants.

52 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The reality is that there are many Australian families doing it much tougher than these migrants.

I think the reality is that these migrants have it a lot more difficult that most Australian families.   

6 minutes ago, Credo said:

I think the reality is that these migrants have it a lot more difficult that most Australian families.   

These migrants don't have to pay electricity, food, medical, rent or anything .....  pls explain how they are doing it tough ?

Crow, worth 75 million, is an actor, not a politician.... and has a history of making a fool of himself. He’s doing it again.

pay your taxes Russ, and let the Australian government look after its immigration policy

or.... run for election and play with Pauline Hanson... that should provide some worthwhile giggles.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ doesn't want him.

Far as I know he was only born there, which would make him a dual citizen, unless he never took out Oz citizenship.

In 2015 it was reported that Crowe had applied for Australian citizenship in 2006 and again in 2013 but was rejected because he failed to fulfill the residency requirements. However, Australia's Immigration Department said it had no record of any such application by Crowe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Crowe#Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Crowe#Political_views

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

These migrants don't have to pay electricity, food, medical, rent or anything .....  pls explain how they are doing it tough ?

OK, they have it easy, the same way that people in prison have it easy.   

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Their choice to be there. They can opt for a free plane ride home anytime they like.

yes .....  and AUD $35,000 to anyone who goes home ....

it is absolutely disgraceful.

Edited by steven100