Avoid 220b ATM Fee

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can go to a bank and withdraw cash over the counter with a foreign debit card , as long as your card allows you to do this .

Most banks can carry out the transaction , although some do not have the facility , but I have yet to find a Bangkok Bank branch unable to do it .

No ATM fee for over the counter withdrawals 

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You can go to a bank and withdraw cash over the counter with a foreign debit card , as long as your card allows you to do this .

Most banks can carry out the transaction , although some do not have the facility , but I have yet to find a Bangkok Bank branch unable to do it .

No ATM fee for over the counter withdrawals 

No. Most will refuse to do so with a Debit card. 

They may have to walk from branch to branch to find on that does.....and may still be charged a Admin fee. Stand up Siam Commercial if you charge such a fee for over the counter cash advances.

9 minutes ago, JamJar said:

No. Most will refuse to do so with a Debit card. 

They may have to walk from branch to branch to find on that does.....and may still be charged a Admin fee. Stand up Siam Commercial if you charge such a fee for over the counter cash advances.

I have never been refused a withdrawal using my foreign debit card in a Thai bank .

The only times that I have been unable to make a withdrawal is when the banks do not have the facility to carry out the transaction , (i.e. they do not have a card reader)

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I have never been refused a withdrawal using my foreign debit card in a Thai bank .

The only times that I have been unable to make a withdrawal is when the banks do not have the facility to carry out the transaction , (i.e. they do not have a card reader)

From the first post;

I used to do this in Bangkok Bank until they quit doing it.

Perhaps you can help by letting him know which branches that you know have card readers?

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps you can help by letting him know which branches that you know have card readers?

If the O.P. lets me know the area in which area he lives, I will go to a local bank and ask them .

Although I have found that banks that do foreign cash exchange can also carry out over the counter withdrawals

Charles schwab high yield investor checking account

unlimited ATM fee rebates worldwide.

imhave it and use it in Thailand.  End of month ATM fees get credited back to account.  Was 15 USD in October for me.

probably for american only, but not sure...

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account?bvrrp=Main_Site-en_US/reviews/product/4/1001.htm

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

From the first post;

Might be easier to list banks that don't have a card reader....... In 2017.....

I think every bank I've used in the last decade or so has them on the desks.... 

I used Bangkok Bank here until eventually both branches refused me and sent me to their ATMs.. then Krungshri was good for over the counter until a couple of weeks ago.. now charge 200 Bt service fee for over the counter.. not sure what to try next... lol..

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

Just returned from Kuala Lumpur. $0 ATM fees for foreign debit cards. How civilized.

So true! Been to many other countries recently that have fee free ATMs too...including France, Netherlands, Japan. 

How to withdraw money in Thailand and more than 20’000 Thai Baht per transaction?

Use these banks

Citibank: Maximum withdrawal limit 50’000 THB

Krungsri Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

Thai Military Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

CIMB Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

Bangkok Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 25’000 THB

This way you only have to pay fee once for 30,000 baht instead of say twice to take out a total of 30,000 baht

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

Just returned from Kuala Lumpur. $0 ATM fees for foreign debit cards. How civilized.

To be fair, some banks do charge. Also depends on your own card. Some ATM might or might not charge a fee, depending on your card. Haven't worked this one out. Has something to do with the card issuer, not just VISA/Mastercard.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

How to withdraw money in Thailand and more than 20’000 Thai Baht per transaction?

Use these banks

Citibank: Maximum withdrawal limit 50’000 THB

Krungsri Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

Thai Military Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

CIMB Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30’000 THB

Bangkok Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 25’000 THB

This way you only have to pay fee once for 30,000 baht instead of say twice to take out a total of 30,000 baht

This might be true but most cards I know of from the U.S. unless you ask them to remove the limit is $500.00 so based on the exchange rate currently you might at 16,000 baht.

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

This might be true but most cards I know of from the U.S. unless you ask them to remove the limit is $500.00 so based on the exchange rate currently you might at 16,000 baht.

I'm from Europe and with all of my bank accounts I can adjust the limit in my online banking. Takes less than a minute. 

25 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

As Wump said in reply to you (and I am from USA) I can go online and increase my daily limit or when you are in USA simply tell your bank you are traveling overseas and would like the limit raised. It also helps to tell them your in Thailand so they don't stop a withdrawal or transaction on your card as it would seem your card was being used outside the USA.

42 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

That is old? at least it was at the Pattaya ATM.  It charges 200 baht plus since they replace their old ATM,  foreign Debit cards I believe the max is 5-8,000 baht only now?

I used the Aeon ATM in Nakhon Sawan a couple of months ago and it was 150 baht but as the machines get upgraded they change to 200. I always withdraw 10000 which is the daily limit set by my card issuer so not sure if the ATM has a limit set.

1 hour ago, wump said:

To be fair, some banks do charge. Also depends on your own card. Some ATM might or might not charge a fee, depending on your card. Haven't worked this one out. Has something to do with the card issuer, not just VISA/Mastercard.

I can't comment on that. Two withdrawals from two different bank ATMs. with my Schwab Visa branded debit card. No fees charged on either. That never happens in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I’ve never paid atm fees.I have A Schwab checking account.Schwab reimburses me all atm fees.

I don't pay them either, but would prefer Schwab wasn't being hit with them. Always afraid they will get fed up, and stop offering that perk.

Archived