Avoid 220b ATM Fee

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JamJar said:

No. Most will refuse to do so with a Debit card. 

@JamJarThat's what I thought. I believe that banks in Thailand will take a Credit card over the counter but not a Debit card.

SCB used to allow OTC cash advances on foreign Debit cards but I thought that stopped some years ago. in fact I was told at  SCB, Bangkok Bank and KBank branches in Pattaya, that it was no longer possible.

I'd love to be able to do that next trip, but as I'm not in Thailand at present I cannot check for myself. So with respect to @sanemaxwho seems fairly sure, does anyone else have a definitive answer to this and recent experience of actually getting cash, OTC on a foreign, preferably UK, Debit Card?  If so, which banks and where please?

7 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Yes

You can go to a money exchange counter and withdraw up to 20,000 baht at a time.

You need your passport.

@misterphil As you're in Pattaya, to be clear, do you mean places like TT Exchange? 

Is it totally free of fees and do you get the standard interbank rate, for "x" amount of Baht or do they convert to home currency (UKP in my case)?  And that is a Debit card, not a Credit card?

Sounds almost too good to be true!

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

I don't pay them either, but would prefer Schwab wasn't being hit with them. Always afraid they will get fed up, and stop offering that perk.

I agree. I hope they don't. I think Thailand has some of the highest rates. I never heard of 220 baht!!  That is insane!  It went from 150 to 180 to 220 rather quickly. This is a scam.  Sometimes you want to take out 1000 baht but it would be stupid. I have Schwab and was pleasantly surprised that while recently in Greece, Czech Rep and Hungary no ATM fees at all. Each country has different currencies so I thought poor Schwab here we go again, but free. Good for European banks!! Even in the states my local bank ATM is free but all the other banks are usually 65 to 100 baht. But 220 really sucks. 

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

You can go to a bank and withdraw cash over the counter with a foreign debit card , as long as your card allows you to do this .

Most banks can carry out the transaction , although some do not have the facility , but I have yet to find a Bangkok Bank branch unable to do it .

No ATM fee for over the counter withdrawals 

Cant be so surely, when I withdraw from my own bank using my banks debit card there is a fee in my area and a higher fee in other parts of Thailand. The higher the withdraw the higher the fee.

14 hours ago, wimpy said:

Just returned from Kuala Lumpur. $0 ATM fees for foreign debit cards. How civilized.

Yep, and that's the same in Indonesia too. Been spending more and more time in these 2 countries lately as they have many other attractions available too.

10 hours ago, Tony125 said:

As Wump said in reply to you (and I am from USA) I can go online and increase my daily limit or when you are in USA simply tell your bank you are traveling overseas and would like the limit raised. It also helps to tell them your in Thailand so they don't stop a withdrawal or transaction on your card as it would seem your card was being used outside the USA.

Thanks as noted is the reason I indicate you got to contact your bank to do it in person, phone or online. You be surprise how many people don't know or do it. All my cards are block particularly my Master Charge since I live here and don't use them when I do I contact or go online to have them unblock, a bit of a problem if it becomes a emergency.

10 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I used the Aeon ATM in Nakhon Sawan a couple of months ago and it was 150 baht but as the machines get upgraded they change to 200. I always withdraw 10000 which is the daily limit set by my card issuer so not sure if the ATM has a limit set.

Not sure about your location but here in Pattaya, there is only two locations that I know of in town that have Aeon. I've been using Aeon to do my ATM for years but last year November I noticed a problem with my cards after they replace their old machines. When I put in my card I noticed nothing would happen it nearly appear the machine was going to eat my card after several minutes the card was return with a message it was off line.  These happen over and over again for a month finally I ask a clerk to come out and show her what was happening. After she saw what was going on we went back into the office she called Bangkok and explain we gave them the card number etc.. the other end indicated they were researching the history of the machine and in the end, the representative told me that when they replaced the old machine it no longer was giving out large amount to foreign cards since they aren't a bank but a lending institution she clearly indicated that foreigners request large amount of cash from our machines many times emptying their cash thus causing problems for their own customers causing the machine to be out of order until it is service again. It has been months but I remember she indicated the cash limit now is 5-8000 baht.  Thereafter, I gave it a try and put in a amount of 5,000 and had no problem but when I try 10,000 the same thing happen refused card return.

As noted not sure about the fee in your location but this is what is happening in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure about your location but here in Pattaya, there is only two locations that I know of in town that have Aeon. I've been using Aeon to do my ATM for years but last year November I noticed a problem with my cards after they replace their old machines. When I put in my card I noticed nothing would happen it nearly appear the machine was going to eat my card after several minutes the card was return with a message it was off line.  These happen over and over again for a month finally I ask a clerk to come out and show her what was happening. After she saw what was going on we went back into the office she called Bangkok and explain we gave them the card number etc.. the other end indicated they were researching the history of the machine and in the end, the representative told me that when they replaced the old machine it no longer was giving out large amount to foreign cards since they aren't a bank but a lending institution she clearly indicated that foreigners request large amount of cash from our machines many times emptying their cash thus causing problems for their own customers causing the machine to be out of order until it is service again. It has been months but I remember she indicated the cash limit now is 5-8000 baht.  Thereafter, I gave it a try and put in a amount of 5,000 and had no problem but when I try 10,000 the same thing happen refused card return.

As noted not sure about the fee in your location but this is what is happening in Pattaya.

That's quite a bs reason. Most of the people will put money into those Aeon machines to pay their monthly payment and if indeed the money runs out more quickly they just need to fill them up more regularly. 

I use Aeon ATMs sometimes in Bangkok. Last time a couple of weeks ago. Fee was 180 and could withdraw max 20k.

6 hours ago, Franko666 said:

Cant be so surely, when I withdraw from my own bank using my banks debit card there is a fee in my area and a higher fee in other parts of Thailand. The higher the withdraw the higher the fee.

Those are not ATM fees

Just now, Media1 said:

Yes and your paying more because there exchange rate is laughable. They catch the unseasoned 

Used to use them when they were free. The exchange rate was always on a par with other ATMs.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It is their ATM machines , which cost money to make and too maintain.

If you want to use them, why shouldnt you pay ?

ATMs save them a ton in labor costs. A reasonable fee on par with other countries would be fine.

16 hours ago, wump said:

To be fair, some banks do charge. Also depends on your own card. Some ATM might or might not charge a fee, depending on your card. Haven't worked this one out. Has something to do with the card issuer, not just VISA/Mastercard.

Has nothing to do with nothing. It's just the leaching Thai banks 

1 minute ago, wimpy said:

ATMs save them a ton in labor costs. A reasonable fee on par with other countries would be fine.

If you do not want to use an ATM machine, then there other options .

If you want to use it, pay to use it . If you dont want to pay and use it, then do not use it

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you do not want to use an ATM machine, then there other options .

If you want to use it, pay to use it . If you dont want to pay and use it, then do not use it

Thanks, but I prefer to publicize collusion, when I see it.

13 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Has nothing to do with nothing. It's just the leaching Thai banks 

Many millions of tourists come to the LOS every year.. how many cash withdrawal transactions every year at 400 Bt per??..   BILLIONS in easy money.. 

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I use three different Aeon ATM's in Chiang Mai and they all charge 150, including a brand new machine at one outlet only installed two weeks ago.  No problem with limits either, the only limit set is by my own British bank.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Krungsi just started charging 200 Bt in Kalasin.. a couple of weeks ago..

Yeap, effective 12 Oct 17 but it says for an a "Visa" card....didn't mention other types like Mastercard....maybe a typo...maybe not...maybe Mastercard and other still free for a counter withdrawal.     Was your card a Visa or some other card? 

Banksters eliminate another free service.   Adding this Bt200 fee just adds onto the interchange fee they already earn for the transaction. 

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/13d1cef9-005f-4521-8438-7fb97363c256/Advance-Notification-Electronic-banking2-12102017-en.aspx

Capture.JPG.b38f7a88d4f840e0914375382ed98943.JPG

Archived