HOLIDAY TRAGEDY Manchester grandad Shaun Walley electrocuted ‘by cheap Thailand hotel’s HANDRAIL’ as family fight to raise £10,000 to bring body home

snoop1130

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one more scam? Some years ago a bunch of expats in the PI put up the remainder of the cost of repatriating a body to the states. It seems the brother appeared, claimed he had almost half the cost and begged for assistance. After the brother took the collected cash, he left the PI and left the body in the morgue. Welcome to the human race. 

Just now, smotherb said:

Yeah, one more scam? Some years ago a bunch of expats in the PI put up the remainder of the cost of repatriating a body to the states. It seems the brother appeared, claimed he had almost half the cost and begged for assistance. After the brother took the collected cash, he left the PI and left the body in the morgue. Welcome to the human race. 

Ahh so the family of the victim is scamming ... with absolutely no evidence, classic TV troll redirect.

Any comments on the Hotel that killed the tourist? Hey they weren't scamming they were just killing people, which is not a bad thing, not like scamming.:thumbsup:

Just now, LomSak27 said:

Ahh so the family of the victim is scamming ... with absolutely no evidence, classic TV troll redirect.

Any comments on the Hotel that killed the tourist? Hey they weren't scamming they were just killing people, which is not a bad thing, not like scamming.:thumbsup:

I do not know; hence the question mark.  Then, I relayed an anecdote of a family member who scammed his own deceased brother's friends. If you look, the partner article in this forum was about scam, "‘Violent attack’ in Brit tourist’s plea for fundraising exposed as fake" where a man and his wife produced the scam. So get off your high horse. I am simply pointing out the low-lifes which seem to permeate this place.

You just had to get the Not insured in did you not, so sad.

You forget the hotel is liable as they are at fault and the country for not making sure hotels and the likes of follow strict safety regulations, if they have any and anyone who is not a lazy B and gets off their read and does checks on hotels.

This is not an accident, its bloody murder by neglect.

Just another farang who cares?

The tourist industry will that is for sure in time.

If TAT and the country had any respect for tourists, they would pay the costs of their neglect.
Well said if it happened to any of their family it would be different.a rail to hold onto with electricity piped in is surely hotel fault .so they should pay.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

"Despite the hotel allegedly admitting the accident on October 19 was their fault, they have informed dad-of-six Shaun's family they can't afford to help."

Let's translate this with a couple of questions:

1. Are the Thai civil courts so incompetent that they can not provide an adequate judicially imposed sanction against the establishment that was responsible for this man's death?  There are remedies that would include liquidating the assets of the defendant to pay compensation for the man's death that was due to their negligence.  Or taking out loans. Or managing a debt repayment schedule to the deceased heirs?  
2. He was a foreigner so it doesn't matter?  
3. Or in the Thai judical system, is a 'I can't afford to help' defense a viable legal position for negligence in Thailand if you are a Thai citizen?

These really are questions to ponder.   

If not, why would foreign companies even bother to invest in Thailand if the deck is completely stacked against aggrieved victims and compensation is not to be had - well, except for an apology and a wai?

So instead, the family has to make a social media appeal to repatriate his remains?  How utterly screwed up to the max! Justice?  Ah-huh.  
"Well, he should have had insurance!", as some of the more compassionate TV members will bring to our attention!
But, it's not like he stuck his tongue in a light socket with the intention of killing himself.  A Thai company is responsible for his death, therefore, they should take care of the monetary issues.  And the Thai court should sanction the company responsible for his death.  

Edited by connda

21 hours ago, imaderbyfan said:

Not insured I assume....

If not ...why not.....?

This is a certain accident, and would be covered by the most modest layout for cover..

Blame the victim!   Nice!  :glare:

14 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

one more person on the list with no insurance.why not get travel insurance problem solved.now they go begging please help my family.no way sorry

Another - "Blame the victim" instead of "seek civil damages from the negligent party."  

12 hours ago, al007 said:

Very sad very traumatic for the family

My observations are as follows, when I had a malpractice claim against a hospital I met with several firms of lawyers in Bangkok, came to the conclusion they were all crooks, I am a retired professional man

The hotel has already claimed they may have little

Small poor family in England my opinion DO NOT GO LAWYER ROUTE, good money after bad and even if you got judgement no assets to collect from, I doubt you will find a lawyer to act on a probono basis

Yes another case of no insurance, when you have little money then insurance is even more important

To repatriate the body when you have no money is not really very sound judgement, however these are emotional times

My suggestion is if possible donate the body, or have it cremated locally

For me I have a Thai donor card already in place, no funeral costs 

My condolences to the family

One last observation we do make our own luck, and paying insurance would have given luck

Number three: Blame the victim instead of seeking civil damages for neglect from those responsible for his death.  

Those of you expounding this position?  If a loved one of yours was electrocuted in the EU, UK, or US, you respond, no doubt, would be: "Yes another case of no insurance"  Sorry, but that's utter BS.  You'd all be filing a civil lawsuit for compensation. 

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I do not know; hence the question mark.  Then, I relayed an anecdote of a family member who scammed his own deceased brother's friends. If you look, the partner article in this forum was about scam, "‘Violent attack’ in Brit tourist’s plea for fundraising exposed as fake" where a man and his wife produced the scam. So get off your high horse. I am simply pointing out the low-lifes which seem to permeate this place.

The only person that is on a high horse is you. Stop blaming other posters for your own problems.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Now are you going to answer my question or just deflect again?

14 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

All these going on about insurance:

Nearly impossible anywhere in west to get over 3 months insurance for staying in another country, especially Thai

If you it will be ridiculous expensive

If you make a claim they will do everything to not pay. Its one big scam

Second-these donation website thing you cannot trust.

at least twice now recently we seen people make up BS to cover over what really happen and mostly all Brit.

A lot of people here getting in trouble cleaning pool filters or tooling around doing thing they shouldnt be doing as a farang or trying to fix stuff around power and water.

Just leave it to the Thais

Sorry for the death of this guy but sorry also i dont believe this live handrail thing for 1 minute

Dont think we hear the whole story here.

I just bought 6 months Med insurance here in the U.K. easy, you just have to take the time to shop around, i also declared a mild medical condition its best to be honest, the cost £175 Pounds, includes £10 million Medical cover plus repatriation back to the U.K. if required, 45% of Brits dont bother with Travel Insurance, more fool them !

17 hours ago, Thechook said:

All these go fund me campaigns, they must be very lucrative.  Appear to be a completely legal way to scam people.  Might have to start one myself

You, of free will and full mental capacity, do not have to give them anything. The charge for this service can be forwarded to....??. There are plenty of deserving 'go fund me' things but please, trivalize them all.

6 hours ago, connda said:

"Despite the hotel allegedly admitting the accident on October 19 was their fault, they have informed dad-of-six Shaun's family they can't afford to help."

1. Are the Thai civil courts so incompetent that they can not provide an adequate judicially imposed sanction against the establishment that was responsible for this man's death?  There are remedies that would include liquidating the assets of the defendant to pay compensation for the man's death that was due to their negligence.  Or taking out loans. Or managing a debt repayment schedule to the deceased heirs?  
3. Or in the Thai judical system, is a 'I can't afford to help' defense a viable legal position for negligence in Thailand if you are a Thai citizen?

If not, why would foreign companies even bother to invest in Thailand if the deck is completely stacked against aggrieved victims and compensation is not to be had - well, except for an apology and a wai?

So instead, the family has to make a social media appeal to repatriate his remains?  How utterly screwed up to the max! Justice?  Ah-huh.  
"Well, he should have had insurance!", as some of the more compassionate TV members will bring to our attention!
But, it's not like he stuck his tongue in a light socket with the intention of killing himself.  A Thai company is responsible for his death, therefore, they should take care of the monetary issues.  And the Thai court should sanction the company responsible for his death.  

1.  For your derisory comment about what you describe as Thai courts incompetence (isn't a comment like that in contravention of forum rules?) to have any relevance a complaint would have to be made by the family and, clearly, that hasn't been done.

2.  That comment is nonsense until a complaint has been made and an official response to a claim is heard.

3.  Obviously not.

15 hours ago, connda said:

Completely agree with this post - especially:- "compensation is not to be had - well, except for an apology and a wai?"

That's exactly how I see it! "We own a hotel, and it's our fault that the man died, but sorry, we can't give you any money as we don't have any" Yeah, right!

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I do not think what he says was rubbish.

The screenshot did not prove a thing, since you cannot see any the fineprint.

You are basing all on this one company in one country, but overall everyone knows its a scam and all about taking money and deception.

Can you explain what the "scam" is in relation to this thread?  If you're suggesting that insurance companies scam policyholders by having clearly stated policy conditions that policyholders are instructed to read, don't bother.

Edited by Just Weird

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The reason to get good, comprehensive travel insurance is to save one's family from these kinds of problems and hardships should the insured die or become seriously injured while abroad.

It's enough emotional turmoil to have a loved one die or become seriously injured. Family in those cases really shouldn't be burdened with the additional turmoil of financial hardships because the traveler didn't bother to obtain appropriate travel insurance coverage to protect not only him/herself, but also their family/loved ones.

The fact that Thailand has lax / non-enforced safety standards only increases the need for good insurance coverage. No one can protect themselves from all unknown /  unpredictable maladies. But you certainly can protect yourself and your family regarding what happens should you fall victim to one of them.

I agree with most of what you say but there are a couple of points I'd like to make.

"Family in those cases really shouldn't be burdened with the additional turmoil of financial hardships because the traveler didn't bother to obtain appropriate travel insurance coverage"  - your right, the family shouldn't be burdened, the people who should take responsibility are those who caused his death.

If Shaun Walley had been insured then in all probability his body would have been shipped back by his insurers and apart from family and a few friends no-one would of ever heard of what happened to him here in Thailand.

16 hours ago, David Walden said:

Your comments and  description of how matters in law should be sorted out in Thailand suggests that Thailand Law should be like the British Laws of Precedence but it's nothing like it.

No they don't, that's your inaccurate interpretation of my comment.

There are a lot of things in this story that do not add up.

There is no case for defamation by naming the hotel if the story is true. It is not against the law to name the area of the hotel. The hotel would not have the contact details of the next of kin, they would only have his passport. The hotel must contact the police when there is a death and a police report would be done and the police would contact the mans embassy and the embassy would contact the next of kin.

This story smells of being a scam.

Produce all the facts including the name and area of the hotel, the police station that this was reported to.

Another thing that is missing is how was the railing electrified. The railing cannot be electrified unless there is electric cables coming into contact with it

Too many unanswered questions about this, no facts, no money