Tough action against transport company following Ayutthaya deadly crash

snoop1130

Well 50.000 bhat fine on a company with a 84 van fleet ain’t going to hurt much but then with no regulation in place for driver hours or adequate training why where they fined at all?

Also I totally agree that they all drive like loonies but then they all do!

No skid marks on road means anti lock braking working? Mmm but no suggested the truck pulled out or slammed on the breaks meaning the driver was either in dream land or counting his money.. we’ve all seen that right!!

I was once on a big bus the driver was sitting with the clutch leg under him while he was bolting through traffic <deleted> lol

During songgran on another bus the driver was actually using a water gun out of the window laughing with 30+ passengers aboard, her wife / gf was filling him up... scary ride, I got that video somewhere!

To conclude..
attitudes are so wrong, lack of respect for the law. Insufficient penalties for major driving errors and none for jumping the red lights even though this kills many...

System needs to change regards safety

Ive driven 65ft drags and hgv class one all over

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just love the headline:-

"Tough action against transport company following Ayutthaya deadly crash"

"The company was also fined 50,000 baht – the maximum amount of fine "

"Smoke on Thai beaches this high season and face jail or 100,000 baht fine"

Once again the Thai justice system getting its monetary priorities right!

Edited by sambum

11 hours ago, captspectre said:

bringing the vans in for inspection? there were NO braking marks on the road! this article should be  forwarded to all the face book's in the world! i am forwarding it to my friends.

Why, because there was no skid marks. What are you trying to imply? 

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You are conflating the annual inspection of older vehicles at registered vehicle testing stations (not offices) at thousands of locations across Thailand with the demands of the DLT's head office for all the vans belonging to this particular company to be brought to the DLT's head office. Unless you are in the habit of bringing your car to a 'government head office' for inspection, apart from when registering new or changed ownership, I have no clue what you're on about.

Pretty sure that these DLT chiefs aren't going to do any sort of vehicle inspection but they will have a superb photo-op where they can be seen to be doing something about this ongoing issue... while in reality, they are doing bugger all.

This is Thailand. If fleet operators can get by with NOT spending too much money on repairs and maintenance, they will do that. If there's no oversight of any minimum standards that they are supposed to adhere to, they won't comply with them. If there's no checking of (any) drivers log books, then they'll turn a blind eye to the many drivers that drive excessive hours to make the extra money. After all, more trips means more passengers and more income. I can't see the minivan owners being too enthusiastic about killing that particular golden goose.

The ongoing issue is the LTD's total inability to do anything remotely constructive and pro-active about seeking a solution to the ongoing dangers of this form of public transport. They collect official fees to allow these minivan companies to operate, that's all they do.

If these DLT guys just sit in their offices signing and filing paperwork and doing bugger all about actually checking for compliance and enforcing the few rules and regulations regarding public transportation, then I reckon they are very much responsible for the abuses by individuals and companies that set themselves up as providers of public transport. Thus they have a direct responsibility for deaths and injuries that are enabled by their lack of diligence and inability to do their job properly.

If you consider slapping a 50k baht fine on the company, pulling the drivers license and asking for a convoy of minivans to come to the office for 'inspection' is the proper course of action, that's fine. What you see as 'another 100% positive report' is just another knee-jerk opportunity to grandstand and appear to be doing something positive.

Put it this way. In both high-profile accidents where speeding minivans have collided with other vehicles causing multiple fatalities, both drivers appear to have fallen asleep at the wheel. Last January's crash where 25 died (between the 2 vehicles involved), they quickly found evidence that the driver had made multiple, back-to-back trips within the previous 18 hours, fell asleep, crossed the median and hit a loaded pickup head-on. In this latest, lower body-count accident, with no reported evidence of braking, the inference is that this driver too fell asleep at the wheel.

Have we seen any announcement of a nationwide system to monitor and regulate minivan driver hours. Have we?

In both these minivan crashes, the subsequent gas-fueled inferno has assured a higher body count.

Have we seen any announcement of a nationwide inspection of all gas-powered minivans, their installations, the parts used and the shops where these installations were carried out? Have we?

Sleep is not the only problem.

We caught a bus and the driver had a video player set up in the front so he could watch videos why he drove.

I then looked over to see he was floating between 140-160kph.

That was the last time on the minibus and we only took the big blue or a known taxi from that point forward.

43 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Why , is the company at fault or was it entirely down to the driver? 

Last I heard the Driver worked for the Company. The Company is responsible for their drivers, and thier actions.

That is  how it works in most countries, Is Thailand different in this regard?

On 10/11/2017 at 10:21 PM, NanLaew said:

Bring all your vans here for inspection now!

Imperious demands sure beats the hell out of getting off your criminally-culpable, government-salaried, lard-asses and DOING YOUR JOB by going to wherever this 'transport company' calls their head office, check the vehicles in-situ and see what sort of van maintenance facilities and driver verification and test procedures they have.

That 50k baht fine is really gonna hurt too.

Agree with everything you say but the 50k fine was quoted as being the maximum.  That needs increasing.  A visit and site inspection as you suggest might well have uncovered situations that allowed more prosecutions and further fines. 4 dead and 50k fines only!!!!!!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

Certainly we never get reported all the detail, and don't have enough information to decide what actually happened, but i wonder if the LTD has all the facts also? There could be any number of reasons why there are no skid marks on the road. Three reasons come to mind quickly; driver didn't react (was asleep), driver couldn't react (brakes failed), driver had no time to react (some accidents happen very quickly). Inspecting the vehicles and training drivers goes some way to address the first 2 reasons, but can all that be deduced from the fact that they saw no skid marks??

15 hours ago, shaurene said:

What a joke. When you can be fin d 100,000 baht plus 1 year in prison for smoking on a beach in Phuket.

Third world  absurd priorities.  If I were the consulate of these countries where people have lost their lives due to either failed vehicle inspection and/or less-than- adequate driving skills (gee- what a surprise). I would seriously sit sown with the appropriate Thai tourism rep. I would ask them "what" are you doing to curb this unnecessary  loss of life? And if I did not receive a reasonable reply, I guarantee you that I would advise against Chinese (because it seems they are the victims of these bus incidents) going to Thailand. When this bcomes almost a daily occurrence and people do not take this seriously, then all bets are off. I blame the consulates of these countries who consistently look the other way.Unnecessary deaths and still the Chinese dollar is all that matters. Thailand...you disgust me with ur ignorance.with your lack of priorities and decemcy. And that is why you will remain a "developing" country. Until you realize all of the ethnic visitors that afford many jobs and do something to ensure safety, then all of your talk is BS.  And then you diverge on homeless people in Pattaya. You are all idiots....you are all "marginal"....and your inclination to separating ur tradition (which is glorious) from a tourist economy is not always favorable. Nor to isolate native Thais who are going through life's tests or confusion.

My best friend lives in Phuket, I really don't understand why they would want to live there anymore.  More expensive unfortunately, but like many countries, no adjustment with wages. Not the junta...it is this backward thinking and over above culture, I attempt to see just who questions all of this- even when the paranoia with Junta monitoring  takes effect. Sadly. my qualms are not with the Junta.It is about their lack of priorities when tourists unnecessarily lose their lives. Or how they target those homeless people in Pattaya. And that is when that third-world thinking rears its ugly head.And does the Junta forget the late king's compassion? What a dilemma when many northern women have to resort to prostitution. Same with WW2 when Japanese geishas went through the same thing. Survival- no matter what country, women see that that as the only way to survive. And I can not imagine all of the emotion thy have to put with. Uneducated? I see many without that opportunity. Compassion.Empathy.  If anyone believes that a person  prefers to subjugate themselves, then they forget how they are looking for a life where love is predominant - without the need to present sexually. Who does not want that?

I have spoken my peace- albeit many modes of thinking. I can only speak for myself and offer my opinion. For what

- if anything it is worth :).

18 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

You were lucky.  

Most attempts I've seen to control the driver end up antagonizing them, and the driving gets worse.  Now you've got an incompetent + crazy + enraged human at the wheel who must now demonstrate that he can compensate for losing face in front of the other passengers.  

Speak up and take your chances.  

a few years ago I went in a minivan to do a  visa run, the driver was crazy the way he drove, on our return I approached the Farang owner and informed him I would never use his service again and that the driver needed changing as he was an accident waiting to happen. within two months the minivan had crashed and the driver and two Russians had died in the crash. I do not do visa runs or minivans

anymore as to many of the drivers are a danger to everyone.     

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Last I heard the Driver worked for the Company. The Company is responsible for their drivers, and thier actions.

That is  how it works in most countries, Is Thailand different in this regard?

"That is  how it works in most countries, Is Thailand different in this regard?"

To answer your question - more than likely, unfortunately.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, robblok said:

Have you owned a car in Thailand, if so you know that all inspection is done at the goverment office. Why change procedure and why even try to inspect there if its not even sure if they have the facilities there (they probably let someone else do the maintenance).

I

I used to call a guy from the car inspection office and he came to my place picks up the papers and brings everything back the next day,..?!?!? only the chassis numbers were checked !!!

Wow!  Nice to see Thailand priorities!!!

Kill four tourist and you pay a 50,000 THB fine.
Smoke on the beach and you pay a 100,000 THB fine and go to jail.

My comment to the Thai authorities who run this country. "Please take your heads out of whatever hole they are in, and get with the 21st century."  Honestly!  Please!

24 minutes ago, connda said:

My comment to the Thai authorities who run this country. "Please take your heads out of whatever hole they are in, and get with the 21st century."  Honestly!  Please!

That request is like pixxing into the wind. 

26 minutes ago, connda said:

Couldn't agree more! - see my Post #64

2 hours ago, connda said:

Well said, you're comment says it all !!!

Wow a $2000 oz dollar fine is the maximum. That is nothing to deter a company with 80 vehicles. The driver was probably overworked and fell asleep or lost concentration. Travelling long distance in these mini vans is sometimes like playing Russian roulette, you just have to hope the driver you get is safe and on the ball. RIP

Edited by BradWilkins

1 hour ago, BradWilkins said:

Wow a $2000 oz dollar fine is the maximum. That is nothing to deter a company with 80 vehicles. The driver was probably overworked and fell asleep or lost concentration. Travelling long distance in these mini vans is sometimes like playing Russian roulette, you just have to hope the driver you get is safe and on the ball. RIP

:sorry:

1 hour ago, BradWilkins said:

:sorry:

On 11/12/2017 at 6:42 AM, greenchair said:

There were only ever going to be 2 reasons for this crash. 

1.the driver was texting. 

2.the driver went to sleep. 

In this case the driver was asleep. 

Nothing to do with the safety of the vans. 

Nope  Log books are they ever used? Huh log books what are those? They prob think:sorry: log books are used by loggers

All vehicles used in public transportation should require yearly checks yes, but in this case unless they found fault with the car (evidence of no brake skid marks seems to point to the driver dozing off) the spot checking demanded by the Dept of Land transportation seems to be nothing more then PR charades.

The problem is the van company policy and drivers.  If they only consider profit and not safety, these companies will continue to incentivize drivers to drive as much as possible which results in overworked driving timebombs just ready to explodoze off at any minute.  

Check and regulate drivers.  Enforce draconian punishment measures otherwise it won't be taken seriously. 

Not everyone's life is as cheap as it seems to be considered in Thailand.

Edited by smileydude

2 hours ago, smileydude said:

All vehicles used in public transportation should require yearly checks yes, but in this case unless they found fault with the car (evidence of no brake skid marks seems to point to the driver dozing off) the spot checking demanded by the Dept of Land transportation seems to be nothing more then PR charades.

The problem is the van company policy and drivers.  If they only consider profit and not safety, these companies will continue to incentivize drivers to drive as much as possible which results in overworked driving timebombs just ready to explodoze off at any minute.  

Check and regulate drivers.  Enforce draconian punishment measures otherwise it won't be taken seriously. 

Not everyone's life is as cheap as it seems to be considered in Thailand.

"overworked driving timebombs just ready to explodoze off at any minute." 

Very descriptive word - love it!